The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

That makes some sense with us being able to retain Hamhuis in that event and still have Hutton and Sbisa as other left side D. Of course, any injuries from there leaves it a little thin, but no different than our current situation on the right side. It'd depend on how much they think Edler would help upgrade their left side over Leddy and DeHaan to make it palatable.

Cost as well, just because it's Edler doesn't mean we have to add more than if it were Tanev - especially if they are asking for a lot. We still might not want to do it if they aren't looking at a fairly even swap.

Yeah if anything I might be looking for a pick back or something if it's Edler (as much as people around here might hate to hear it, he has more value than Tanev). Especially as they're hardly dealing from a position of strength.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah if anything I might be looking for a pick back or something if it's Edler (as much as people around here might hate to hear it, he has more value than Tanev). Especially as they're hardly dealing from a position of strength.

Edler does have distinct trade value. As you have said, he's an understudy in a lead actor's role. Being farther down the depth chart in Brooklyn would take a huge amount of pressure off of him and allow him to quietly go about playing his game.

Being the go to defenseman in a Canadian market with a dearth of professional sports teams, is probably more than his poor heart can bear.

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And, aside from your very good points, the defense becomes a lot more physical with Hamonic.

Tanev, while an astute and talented defenseman has very little physicality to his game, and gets laid into by other teams with regularity.

Agreed. This is a no brainer. You trade from what is perceived strength to get what you really want (and more).

17 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Agreed. This is a no brainer. You trade from what is perceived strength to get what you really want (and more).

Exactly. And if the teams goal is to get into the playoffs, why not prepare yourself with the best compliment of player that can withstand the physical grind that the playoffs are.

Yes, Tanev has playoff experience, but the Canucks playoff record recently isn't that great. None of the defensive core has really been a factor in the playoffs at all.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Winnipeg and Edmonton are much better trading partners than we are. 

If I'm the Oilers, I go all in. Hamonic is exactly what the coilers need. 

Wish we could make a pitch but I don't see us having the right pieces. 

Really? Which young, established, top pair D is Edmonton sending back to NYI? 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I would love for TH to come here, but I'm thinking its Winterpeg.  They have that young American kid on D, who might really interest the NYI.  I forget the kids name?

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Everyone thought petry was garbage too until he went on a more defensively sound team. 

Maybe a Schultz package? 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Everyone thought petry was garbage too until he went on a more defensively sound team. 

Maybe a Schultz package? 

Schultz is the most incomplete Dman in the NHL, possible to ever play hockey at any level. 

A high quality right handed D is extremely difficult to find.
Yes, we already have Tanev, but having 2 players like that would be way better than just 1 !!  It would solidify our weak defense for years to come.

The team should go all out to acquire Hamonic, even if it means overpaying.  I would only balk at including Tanev or any of our top few prospects.  Almost everyone else should be "considered" in any trade. If we really don't have what NYI wants, find a 3rd team (who Hamonic may not be willing to go to) who has a young D that NYI likes and get a 3 way going.

11 hours ago, apollo said:

Winnipeg and Edmonton are much better trading partners than we are. 

If I'm the Oilers, I go all in. Hamonic is exactly what the coilers need. 

Wish we could make a pitch but I don't see us having the right pieces. 

Except... NYI will 100% ask for Nurse/Reinhart PLUS going back. 

57 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Except... NYI will 100% ask for Nurse/Reinhart PLUS going back. 

Exactly. While the Oilers need Hamonic more than anyone else, they would be destroying more of their future than either Winnipeg or Minnesota would be.

Oilers lose out on this.

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If it's Tanev, or Hutton no go.

I'd gladly give up Edler, Vey, and Jensen. 

I still want to know why we didn't go after Granberg? 

probably because we are at league max of 50 contracts signed .The team would have to cut loose a player ,who that would be?

Granberg not sure why management is getting free ride here they should have at least issued a press release as to team in its lack of interest or percieved interest in said players.

I would have gladly released a D and I know who I would cut loose to have put him in a canuck jersey. 

Maybe the team needs a BOT on the boards to affirm such lack of interest or interest an the rational moving forward.The enlightened folks on here hard core would see it for what it is. just saying,

Archived