The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks

RU SERIOUS

Is coaching really the problem? Or maybe, just maybe, this is a team that is not as good as homers on CDC think they should be?

I love the Canucks, but outside Vancouver, nobody thinks much (or anything) of them anymore. This has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with the fact that EVERY team has peaks and valleys, some longer than others.

WD is not the problem. Other teams getting much better and the Canucks being behind in a "retool" or "rebuild" (call it whatever you want) is the "problem".

2 hours ago, John Tortorella said:

While i hope green one day will be nhl coach i almost think a amazing coach is more important at ahl as thats where our future grows. Players leaving utica with enhanced confidence, more skills and professional experience probably goes further then the opposite. Not as much room to build confidence and skills in nhl if your not ready. Who would replace greene

Easy...send Willie down...bring Greene up. 

Are we going to start hiring and firing coaches while in transition years..?..Edmonton did it for years,and it accomplished squat..Our roster is mostly veterans and kids,and WD is essentially asked to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t....While I'm not a fan of some of WD's deployment,I certainly don't think he should be relieved at this point(not only that,I don't believe he has lost the room).

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I don't get this, honestly did you  not watch the freaking Calgary series! Maybe its time to admit this team is not a elite team anymore, maybe its time to be patient and let this team get younger. What the hell is firing the coach going to do. We fired Torts who said in his press conference, that the core needs to change! did we listen to him? He mentioned time and time again, this team fails to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL (go back to some of the goals Flames scored) Again did we move those guys? As much the fan base hated Torts, he was right about how this team needs to change, we are making a small transition but a annoying one since the coach can't get over his love with the 2011 core. 

Are you serious? Are you actually freaking serious? Where have you been the last year or so?

Tortorella said the core was stale and needed youth.. The core he was talking about consisted a core of Booth, Sestito, Kesler, Santorelli, Kassian, Zac Dalpe, Jeremy Welsh, Stanton, Bieksa, hell even Luongo whom we traded that year. What happened to them? Booth was bought out because for obvious reasons, Sestito was a plug, Kesler wanted out, Santorelli was let go, Dalpe, Welsh let go. Stanton sadly let go, Bieksa traded, Luongo wanted out. That core is stale as hell, just look at that. That core is old as hell, just look at that. If you actually payed attention you would know that our team right now is x10 more exciting than that core.

Our current core consists of Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Hutton, Markstrom, Baertschi, ALL in 1 year.

What more do you want? 

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Are you serious? Are you actually freaking serious? Where have you been the last year or so?

Tortorella said the core was stale and needed youth.. The core he was talking about consisted a core of Booth, Sestito, Kesler, Santorelli, Kassian, Zac Dalpe, Jeremy Welsh, Stanton, Bieksa, hell even Luongo whom we traded that year. What happened to them? Booth was bought out because for obvious reasons, Sestito was a plug, Kesler wanted out, Santorelli was let go, Dalpe, Welsh let go. Stanton sadly let go, Bieksa traded, Luongo wanted out. That core is stale as hell, just look at that. That core is old as hell, just look at that. If you actually payed attention you would know that our team right now is x10 more exciting than that core.

Our current core consists of Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Hutton, Markstrom, Baertschi, ALL in 1 year.

What more do you want? 

get rid of Higgins and the players who cost us in the playoffs because he also said there are certain players who FAIL to pay attention to detail. 

I would not put much of the blame on WD. I agree certain players needed to be moved for this team to move forward. Lack of focus... attention to detail... puck watching... lack of physical play... players trying to do too much and getting out of position... three different coaches and we have a lot of the same mental issues that have plagued  the canucks since well before our downward trend.

Too many personele gaffes by both the previous regime as well as the current. Players we should have kept and ones we still are stuck with...

Have make players accountable somehow or move on IMHO. 

I won't pretend to have the answers but I can see the trends. Take a look at some of the moves we made after our cup run. There's the answer I think.

36 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What more do you want? 

Actually he was reffering to Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa. Those were the core players; aside from the Sedins. You named all the fringe players who were just filling in because of injury. Out of that list, only Bieksa is gone, Kesler demanded a trade, so we had to.

3 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

No WD gets too much hate. He's a good coach

At the AHL level, most defintely. 

But this team is also where they are in the standings because they just aren't that good. 

The changing of the guard should have occurred the summer after the loss in the Finals. 

It will be at least three years before this team makes a dent in the league. Shedding Hamhuis, Edler, Vrbata, Weber, and Higgins should be of utmost importance this summer. 

Chychrun or bust!

8 minutes ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

Actually he was reffering to Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa. Those were the core players; aside from the Sedins. You named all the fringe players who were just filling in because of injury. Out of that list, only Bieksa is gone, Kesler demanded a trade, so we had to.

NTCs kind off ties Bennings hands. Immediately changing the core is next to impossible. We can't just force everyone out and still expect free agents to want to come here after we draft our future saviours. There will be more changes in the next off-season.

Higgins is more of a role player and you also omitted Luongo.

59 minutes ago, BigOldOrca said:

Gully is the PP and forward assistant coach and that is where we are not doing well at.  Lack of goals.  Lidster just does not have the horses  yet on D to perform well. This is going to take more time than 20 games.

we're 7th in GF, I'd argue its the defence and goaltending that is the problem! Think about this, Miller had above average stats to start the year, and now has average at best (41st save % of goalies.) stats. So he must have been well below average lately, which is at least partially the shoddy defence we've been throwing out to the wolves.

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

NTCs kind off ties Bennings hands. Immediately changing the core is next to impossible. We can't just force everyone out and still expect free agents to want to come here after we draft our future saviours. There will be more changes in the next off-season.

Higgins is more of a role player and you also omitted Luongo.

Oh for sure, I agree. Just wondering why guys like Dalpe, Welsh, etc were mentioned. 

As for Luongo, that was a whole other issue.

3 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I don't get this, honestly did you  not watch the freaking Calgary series! Maybe its time to admit this team is not a elite team anymore, maybe its time to be patient and let this team get younger. What the hell is firing the coach going to do. We fired Torts who said in his press conference, that the core needs to change! did we listen to him? He mentioned time and time again, this team fails to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL (go back to some of the goals Flames scored) Again did we move those guys? As much the fan base hated Torts, he was right about how this team needs to change, we are making a small transition but a annoying one since the coach can't get over his love with the 2011 core. 

1. Stale old core.  Check.  Remember the old core had 2 factions.  The Sedin group and the Kesler group.  The Kesler group is mostly gone:  Kesler, Bieksa along with Santorelli, Garrison, Kassian, Richardson, Booth, Stanton, Weise, Sestito, Matthias, Dalpe, Schroeder, Alberts.
  2. Response to Flames series.  Check.  This team got faster and harder to play against: out, Bonino, Richardson, Vey, Matthias, Kassian, Bieksa, Stanton.  In, Sutter, Prust, Cracknell, McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Bartkowski, Hutton

These things have been addressed.  But there are other challenges like the number of rookies and inexperienced players and the thin D core.  Especially top 4.

WD has been given a team of about half rookies to ice and try and win games with. JB isn't making it easy for him. He's got one of the hardest jobs in the league of trying to win with all these kids and teach them at the same time. When you've got Horvat at 2C and McCann at 3C with an AHLer at 4C, you know your management isn't making it easy for you.

Not many coaches could do a better job in this brutal position WD's in.

Archived