The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a positive note: I like the way Baertschi continues to develop

*Buzzsaw*

Not a lot of positives in the Jets game... but there was one moment which I have been waiting for all season.

That was when Sven Baertschi took control of the puck in the Jets end and basically dominated the Jets defense for more than a minute, maintaining possession and setting up several scoring chances.

I know it has been a slow process, but I continue to see an upward trajectory for this prospect, and I do think he will prove to be a very valuable player for the Canucks in years to come.

I actually though all of our rookies had a pretty decent game. Virtanen was engaged physically, McCann had some great opportunities early, Baertschi was playing great all game and Hutton had some great offensive plays. Grenier was quite good too, great amount of shots on net and didn't look out of place.

Everyone else needs to get their heads out of their rears. 

He definitely seems to be improving as time goes on, he's clearly got the skills. As long as he keeps busting his butt and working to improve I think he'll progress nicely over the course of the season.

Kinda fun being able to watch young guys develop and progress, been a long time.

50 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup.  I really liked his game tonight. He seems to be getting stronger on the puck. Maybe having strong gritty wingers is what he needed. 

he is always around the puck, just doesn't come out of the corners much with it. But tonight he did look better, swooped in on a few loose ones. His transition passing is great too. I think he is at his best when he has the puck on his stick and is skating and making plays.  Would be nice to see him on the PP with a bit of room

He's not developing.

He's worse than he was last year. Willie ruined his confidence by not rewarding him when he is playing well and punishing him when he makes a mistake.

This Baertschi is not the same Baertschi I saw in Utica.

I think WD and Sven are just a wrong combination....I would have to agree at this point, that Willie is just killing his confidence,and has zero trust in him....Too bad,..under the right circumstances,I think he could have developed into a meaningful role...

If the coaching staff are just going to keep dicking him around,which is what I've seen(inconsistent linemates,minutes)...i'd say they should just release him.

55 minutes ago, WTG said:

He's not developing.

He's worse than he was last year. Willie ruined his confidence by not rewarding him when he is playing well and punishing him when he makes a mistake.

This Baertschi is not the same Baertschi I saw in Utica.

You can't compare NHL and AHL production. It's a good basis for a precedent to make assumptions towards how they will progress. But yeah Willie should give him more ice-time. He has definitely earned it based on the minutes he gets. 

14 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

You can't compare NHL and AHL production. It's a good basis for a precedent to make assumptions towards how they will progress. But yeah Willie should give him more ice-time. He has definitely earned it based on the minutes he gets. 

Not talking about production.

I've watched all Baertschi's games since he got here. The guy looks like was when he came into Utica. Just had no self confidence. It took a while to get Baertschi going Green absolutely worked magic on Baertschi and managed to get the best out of him. But with Willie he really looks like the guy we got from Calgary.

No confidence. And it is mostly willie's fault IMO. Some fault goes on him for not playing well at the begining of the pre-season to justify trust. But the major blame goes for Willie for not allowing a player to gain confidence. Willie only punishes Baertschi if he does something bad. He never rewards him when he does well.

We saw glimpses last night of Baertschi's ability to absolutely take over games. He's more than capable of doing this. IF he's confident. But Willie has completely beating it out of him. It's really sad to see.

EDIT: Sorry for the long rant. Just that he was one of my favorite players that I got to watch on the farm and I'm upset with the coaching.

12 hours ago, WTG said:

Not talking about production.

I've watched all Baertschi's games since he got here. The guy looks like was when he came into Utica. Just had no self confidence. It took a while to get Baertschi going Green absolutely worked magic on Baertschi and managed to get the best out of him. But with Willie he really looks like the guy we got from Calgary.

No confidence. And it is mostly willie's fault IMO. Some fault goes on him for not playing well at the begining of the pre-season to justify trust. But the major blame goes for Willie for not allowing a player to gain confidence. Willie only punishes Baertschi if he does something bad. He never rewards him when he does well.

We saw glimpses last night of Baertschi's ability to absolutely take over games. He's more than capable of doing this. IF he's confident. But Willie has completely beating it out of him. It's really sad to see.

EDIT: Sorry for the long rant. Just that he was one of my favorite players that I got to watch on the farm and I'm upset with the coaching.

I think baertchi is getting a little more confident game by game, it's a slow process for most young guys because of the pressure to preform in the bigs. I agree that WD is definitely not helping the case when baertchi plays extremely well like last night then is benches in the 3rd when down a goal.  The only hope that iI have is that apparently one of willies strengths is his communication skills with his players. Baertchi seems to be like edler where tough love doesn't work, he needs to be coddled and supported to help him gain confidence. Hopefully what we don't see behind the scenes is positive reinforcement from Willie 

I'd like to see him on a line with a gritty two-way center and a sniper on the wing, ideally a veteran. Baertschi is a playmaker first, shooter second and he needs a sniper to set up, with a big body to distract opponents. That's how we get the most out of Baertschi.

Cracknell and Dorsett are all well and good but they're not going to help Baertschi put up points.

I'd like to see Baertschi with Vbrata (when he returns) and maybe Sutter (when he returns).

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd like to see him on a line with a gritty two-way center and a sniper on the wing, ideally a veteran. Baertschi is a playmaker first, shooter second and he needs a sniper to set up, with a big body to distract opponents. That's how we get the most out of Baertschi.

Cracknell and Dorsett are all well and good but they're not going to help Baertschi put up points.

BaerI'd like to see Baertschi with Vbrata (when he returns) and maybe Sutter (when he returns).

Baer needs to be sheltered with a couple of vets and you saw that last night with Crack and Dorsett. They created space for him to use his skills, the downside is Dorsett can't receive a pass or make one to save his life, just watch him on the pp.

3 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Baer needs to be sheltered with a couple of vets and you saw that last night with Crack and Dorsett. They created space for him to use his skills, the downside is Dorsett can't receive a pass or make one to save his life, just watch him on the pp.

Exactly, I think he needs one gritty guy like Cracknell or Dorsett on his line to help create some space for him to work. Similar to how Prust and Dorsett really helped out McCann get loose to strut his stuff, Baertschi needs the same. Unlike McCann, Baertschi is a playmaker first which is why he ideally needs a sniper as well. Gritty player + veteran sniper would be the perfect linemates for Baertschi.

Good luck getting that on this terrible Canucks lineup. We have plenty of gritty guys, not many snipers.

Archived