The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious Case of Alexander Edler

PhillipBlunt

Getting to the bottom of Alexander Edler  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

We're not likely to get a #1 through trade or via UFA. We could certainly find a couple solid #2's though which is better than what we have now (one #2...being Edler).

#1's can't be had by UFA, and rarely by trade. Look back to the debate of Ekblad v Reinhart...who would you take?

Florida scored huge there. True #1's don't grow on trees.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We're not likely to get a #1 through trade or via UFA. We could certainly find a couple solid #2's though which is better than what we have now (one #2...being Edler).

I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty. Very likely, not through free agency, but Benning could make a trade for a number one. He'll most likely have to overpay, but I can see Benning doing so.

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

#1's can't be had by UFA, and rarely by trade. Look back to the debate of Ekblad v Reinhart...who would you take?

Florida scored huge there. True #1's don't grow on trees.

Exactly. I mean Chara was both traded and UFA'd if I recall and Pronger was traded but I think those are the most recent (not very recent) examples. It's few and far between and largely you have to luck out on a solid looking guy late 1st/2nd rounder becoming a #1D via the draft or have a clear cut and obvious top pick guy like Ekblad or Doughty.

But we could move pieces (likely Edler) to get a #2 in Hamonic, Gudbranson etc and then sign another #2 UFA in Yandle or Goligoski. And have at least a decent top pair and a better, younger makeup moving forward.

Edler is not worth what the Canucks pay him . Some say Trevor Linden thinks Edler is just great. He has good size but rarely uses it. That might be because he has been injured and avoids the physical stuff. Who knows, he seems lost and makes bad decisions a lot of the time. Are there any coaches on this team? Edler maybe needs some of that. The best thing would be for him to retire, because he won't waive his "no-trade".

Just now, snucks said:

Edler is not worth what the Canucks pay him . Some say Trevor Linden thinks Edler is just great. He has good size but rarely uses it. That might be because he has been injured and avoids the physical stuff. Who knows, he seems lost and makes bad decisions a lot of the time. Are there any coaches on this team? Edler maybe needs some of that. The best thing would be for him to retire, because he won't waive his "no-trade".

Yeah, probably one of the ~top 50 D in the league. He should retire that bum :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, probably one of the ~top 50 D in the league. He should retire that bum :rolleyes:

He is a second pairing D man playing too many minutes.  He's slow, and non-physical and average at best at moving the puck.  The fact that he is touted as our #1 is what draws so much ire form fans as compared to any real #1, he is not even close.

Management has to address this before this team will ever be competitive no matter how many young, talented forwards they bring in and develop.  Without efficient defense and d-men who can effectively exit the zone and move the puck up-ice, you will never have a strong offensive attack.  Defense is this team's Achilles heel.. 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He is a second pairing D man playing too many minutes.  He's slow, and non-physical and average at best at moving the puck.  The fact that he is touted as our #1 is what draws so much ire form fans as compared to any real #1, he is not even close.

Management has to address this before this team will ever be competitive no matter how many young, talented forwards they bring in and develop.  Without efficient defense and d-men who can effectively exit the zone and move the puck up-ice, you will never have a strong offensive attack.  Defense is this team's Achilles heel.. 

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Can you show me this top 50 list please....I looked at his league stats and he is no where near top 50 lol. Also is this all time top 50 or maybe single out a few categories where he stands in the lower 40s lol ^_^

I also looked at some fantasy league top 50's and he is not there either...

Though he may be in in the 40s with goals that wont say much....and also being in the top 50....is nothing to be proud of unless you are at least in the range 1-15...after that the stats basically become repetitive. <_<

It would be great if one of the Canucks' major problems was that they have a real good defenceman who is being overused, asked to play 25 minutes some nights because most of our other defencemen are so poor.

Edler isn't perfect, but he is among the least of the Canucks' problems.

Just now, tyhee said:

It would be great if one of the Canucks' major problems was that they have a real good defenceman who is being overused, asked to play 25 minutes some nights because most of our other defencemen are so poor.

Edler isn't perfect, but he is among the least of the Canucks' problems.

Now you are just making excuses for him....it's a game of endurance. Skating from one end to another is a burn in the jambones lol  if he can't hack it and is to tired then maybe he should retire as one stated above...

and one other thing they get stuck on the ice...line changes are everything. If you are skating circles in your end chasing the puck then you are not playing the game right lol

So please don't make excuses for a professional hockey player... just be a critic like me and everyone else :)

55 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Exactly. I mean Chara was both traded and UFA'd if I recall and Pronger was traded but I think those are the most recent (not very recent) examples. It's few and far between and largely you have to luck out on a solid looking guy late 1st/2nd rounder becoming a #1D via the draft or have a clear cut and obvious top pick guy like Ekblad or Doughty.

But we could move pieces (likely Edler) to get a #2 in Hamonic, Gudbranson etc and then sign another #2 UFA in Yandle or Goligoski. And have at least a decent top pair and a better, younger makeup moving forward.

Tyler Myers, although not a top 5 (12th) was a good trade for the Jets considering what they gave up. There was a time a good few on here wanted Gillis to go after him as I recall.

38 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He is nothing like as bad as people on here make out.

There was a rumour Detroit were after him (including his -39) after Tortorella had destroyed his confidence. I wouldn't mind betting we would be raving about him on the Detroit D now if that deal had gone through. Luckily JB wasn't going to be low balled.

Nevertheless Detroit know their players and no one can deny that, a hell of a lot more than CDC do anyway.

40 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

No, he's a #2 D playing with a #3 as our outmatched first pair and largely a bunch of #5-8 or AHL'ers filling out the balance of our D. 

No disagreement that the defense needs a MAJOR reno before we're remotely competitive but Edler is far, FAR from being the problem with it. That said, moving him could be part of the solution to fixing it and that's only because he's a quality D who could return usable pieces.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Tyler Myers, although not a top 5 (12th) was a good trade for the Jets considering what they gave up. There was a time a good few on here wanted Gillis to go after him as I recall.

Myers is good, not sure I'd call him a #1 though.

Just now, J.R. said:

No, he's a #2 D playing with a #3 as our outmatched first pair and largely a bunch of #5-8 or AHL'ers filling out the balance of our D. 

No disagreement that the defense needs a MAJOR reno before we're remotely competitive but Edler is far, FAR from being the problem with it. That said, moving him could be part of the solution to fixing it and that's only because he's a quality D who could return usable pieces.

Exactly this. Put Edler and Tanev up against lower QoC matchups and the time spent in their own zone would go down exponentially. Canucks D is a nightmare right now.

Edler is not a #1, and his play style can not prop up a true #1.  He is too aggressive, makes too many mistakes with the puck, and takes too many stupid penalities.  So, in other words, he is a good #3.

Is 5 million for a #3 really what this team needs?  Rebuilding means parting ways with the past.  Is it time?  I think it is.

Edler admittedly possess all the tools to be a good defenceman, but his potential is crippled by gaffes and bad decisions. He's a black hole on the power play, and when the puck's in our zone he panics, attempting to play goal more than defence. If he was on a 3-4 pairing he'd probably seem solid enough - but as our go-to-guy? He's a bit of a dumpster fire.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler  as a #2 paired with a #1 Doughty, RH'd OEL, Karlsson etc would be a FANTASTIC 1st pair.

What a ridiculous statement.

Are seriously puttin an aging Edler on with any #1 one D's lol Now you are just reaching Because we all know that any #1 D will improve the stats of any other Dmen. EVEN if they didn't touch the puck the whole time. Please be real.

And my top 50 comment above???? Show me or no? -6  up to the positive may help lol BUT I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler  as a #2 paired with a #1 Doughty, RH'd OEL, Karlsson etc would be a FANTASTIC 1st pair.

What a ridiculous statement.

It is not ridiculous.  He is not a first pairing big minutes type of player.  He makes too many mistakes.  How exactly does Edler's play style compliment the offense first, jump into the play, deep pinching, puck hogging real #1's you laid out, when he has tried (and failed) to be this kind of player himself?  Does he suddenly become a Chris Tanev, the reliable stay-back-bail-out-buddy to his offense first partner?  He has never shown this play style.  Why would he be fantastic at this role, all of a sudden, now? My point is that he would flourish as the offense first type guy, aka, the #3 on the 2nd pairing.  He is a pinching, offense first kind of guy.  If he was played against the opposing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines more often, instead of always being matched up against the best in the league, he would be a force to be reckoned with.

Archived