The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious Case of Alexander Edler

PhillipBlunt

Getting to the bottom of Alexander Edler  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/11/2015 at 11:15 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I think the team would be smart to invest in some counseling or psychological testing for Alex Edler to get to the heart of what his consistency issues are..

And for the life of me, I don't understand what his issues are. Is it motivational? What was it about the game against the Rangers that made Edler elevate his game to near elite status? How does Lidster tap into that? Why can't an adult male nearing 30 years of age be motivated enough to show the league how great a defenseman he can be on a consistent basis?

Mods, do with this what you will, but I thought that maybe a less biased discussion on the enigma of the team's defense wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The guy just doesnt get angry enough. You have to have some nasty if you want to play defence in the big leagues. He has had the tough love treatment from Torts, the nice guy routine from Willie, Puck possession system from AV.....

Not betting on him being a consistent stud player by now, but he could sure get us a kings ransom in a trade. 

2 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

The guy just doesnt get angry enough. You have to have some nasty if you want to play defence in the big leagues. He has had the tough love treatment from Torts, the nice guy routine from Willie, Puck possession system from AV.....

Not betting on him being a consistent stud player by now, but he could sure get us a kings ransom in a trade. 

Scandinavians tend to play with greater control.

He does play defence in this league, usually 25 minutes a night. Yes he could get us a king's ransom in a trade, which kind of blows your BS logic out of the water.

Are you one of these fans that gets a "hate" fixation on a player and just keeps pumping it all over these threads?

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Scandinavians tend to play with greater control.

He does play defence in this league, usually 25 minutes a night. Yes he could get us a king's ransom in a trade, which kind of blows your BS logic out of the water.

Are you one of these fans that gets a "hate" fixation on a player and just keeps pumping it all over these threads?

What part of my comment is hate? I suggested he is not a number one elite d-man, but I guess you are part of the hopeful who is holding out for Edler to finally reach his potential.

My "BS logic" makes sense since a lot of players carry around reputations, and Edler is known as a guy who shows flashes of brilliance, which is why many teams would take a chance on him. If you watch every game though, you know there are large stretches where he is flat out invisible. 

During a rebuilding phase you need to trade core guys who have some value, Edler has some and to me it would not be a big loss. Rarely see this guy battle in front of the net or show some energy, doesnt really lead the defence either even though he is a veteran now.   

Not sure how everyone can still be ripping into Edler. He's our leading scorer after the Sedins. He's playing over 23 minutes a night with an undrafted shutdown kid who brings no offence at all. He's on a defence with 4 or 5 AHL-calibre guys.

Alex Edler is the glue of this defence and arguably the team. He is to the defence what the Sedins are to the forward group. I believe that if you just took Edler out of our lineup we'd be dead last in the West. Same could be said for the Sedins. He's so under-appreciated on these boards it's rediculous and despicable.

Sure he's no true top pairing defenceman on most Cup contenders but he's pretty damn good for where he is. Keith and Seabrook have been having up and down seasons themselves at around the same age, have you guys seen some of Seabrook's brutal, costly, game-losing turnovers this year? Everyone has them, but Edler has done FAR more good than bad to this team and quite frankly, without him, we don't stand a chance.

3rd best player on the team yet he gets ragged on every game.

- Great shot but can't get it through half the time

- Good size but no longer plays physical since the back injury

- Eats up a large amount of ice time but then gets worn down late in the game or in the season

- Average passing and average speed

- Being asked to do too much of everything and doesn't have the stamina/skills to do everything great

- Doesn't like the limelight but being thrust into a No1 D position

- Still the most all-around and useful D on our roster. No one can do what he does on our team and at a reasonable cap.

Until a true No.1 D falls in our laps, we need to appreciate what he does for this team and live with his inconsistency and lapses from time to time. Just because these lapses are highly visible so they do stand out more but anyone saying he has more bad games/moves than good is out to lunch.

3 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

- Great shot but can't get it through half the time

- Good size but no longer plays physical since the back injury

- Eats up a large amount of ice time but then gets worn down late in the game or in the season

- Average passing and average speed

- Being asked to do too much of everything and doesn't have the stamina/skills to do everything great

- Doesn't like the limelight but being thrust into a No1 D position

- Still the most all-around and useful D on our roster. No one can do what he does on our team and at a reasonable cap.

Until a true No.1 D falls in our laps, we need to appreciate what he does for this team and live with his inconsistency and lapses from time to time. Just because these lapses are highly visible so they do stand out more but anyone saying he has more bad games/moves than good is out to lunch.

More or less true.

I think Edler is probably the best #3 defenceman in the entire NHL on a truly deep, contending team like Nashville/Minnesota/NYR/MTL. He brings a lot of intangeables to the table and is a pretty decent all-round defenceman, and easily would be the best 2nd pairing defenceman in the entire league.

I think in terms of fringe playoff teams he's a mediocre top pairing defenceman, around average to maybe slightly above average.

For a definite non-playoff team he'd be considered a very good top pairing defenceman.

Perspective is everything, Edler's still a pretty damn good defenceman but compared to the rest of the league he's certainly no star. Problem is this Canucks team isn't going to see a better all-round defenceman for a long time unless Hutton REALLY fills out nicely.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Trade him for the pick that will be his future replacement.

This. We know he is a valuable 2nd pairing D-man so why not trade him to a contender for their stud D prospect or a super high pick for their cup run? 

When the Nucks finish rebuilding and are ready to contend, Sedins will be 2nd liners being pushed by a very good and young 3rd line (Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen). 

Edler who should ideally be a 2nd pairing D-man, will most likely be a 3rd pairing D-man at that point on a contender. So why not just trade him now and try to get a young stud who will become a bona fide first pairing D-man in 3 years? 

On 12/14/2015 at 7:41 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

What part of my comment is hate? I suggested he is not a number one elite d-man, but I guess you are part of the hopeful who is holding out for Edler to finally reach his potential.

He's not paid an elite d-man wage why would anybody expect elite d-man play? Potential is really just imaginary. Maybe this was his true potential as opposed to those Lidstrom fantasies.

On 12/14/2015 at 7:41 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

During a rebuilding phase you need to trade core guys who have some value, Edler has some and to me it would not be a big loss.

You clear the core if you intend to tank and wallow away for high picks. We already know that's not the plan here. Edler would be a big loss for this team to be able to compete as there is nobody close to him as a replacement.

On 12/11/2015 at 1:01 AM, TheRussianRocket. said:

- 3rd leading scorer on our team behind the Sedin's.

- Plays the most minutes out of anyone, more than 3 minutes than the next closest guy & 6+ minutes of total special teams time per game.

- 17 points in 29 games, on pace for 48.

- He's a #2 dman but our #1 dman because our defense sucks, and is doing a fantastic job.

...people that complain about him are delusional. Without him we are tanking no questions asked. Sure he makes the often redundant/frustrating/predictable play (drop pass) but whatever, people just like picking on him because they have nothing better to do.

Despite what anyone says, Edler is the backbone to our defense. 

Edit: as for OP, there is no issue with Edler. Just an issue with people that complain and whine about him not acknowledging how crucial he is to our team. 

Preach it. When Ehrhoff was with the team, Elder was at his best; all he needed to do was supply a bomb at the point and play smart defense.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And once again, Alex Edler is disappearing for the umpteenth time this season. When will management get it through their heads that he's a horrible excuse for a first pairing defenseman?

in the days where vigs had good coaching staff around him, we have an AHL coach in WD, who will never be a true NHL caliber couch, and doug lidster as an assistant, with gully. edler is not a horrible defenseman. as everyone forgets he was one of our top defensemen at one point. coaching staff does make a difference in players' overall play. after vigs left, he took his defensive style with him and this team started to show its true colours

as for being a "horrible first pairing" he's all this team has, as an nhl ready first pairing. live with it

Archived