The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Come back Sutter! We need you!

canucktican

Found an interesting article about the current Canucks which goes through some underlying stats that show Sutter's impact on the Canucks having a balanced attack.

Don't know if this has already been posted. I found it pretty interesting so thought I would share it.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/12/13/10074708/oh-brandon-sutter-and-canucks-secondary-offence-where-art-thou

The guy many scorned Jim Benning for acquiring from the Penguins (along with a 3rd round pick) in exchange for Nick Bonino (how's he doing by the way?), Adam Clendening (yea, I wanted him to stay) and a 2nd round pick. Benning saw Sutter as an impact player and you know what? He was right. So he extended his contract and paid him royally, again, with the haters breathing flames upon his skull.

Sutter had 4 goals and 4 assists before sustaining an abdomen injury on November 11. The Canucks were 7-4-5 in those first 16 games. The team went 0-3-1 in the 4 games after the Sutter loss. Also, 4-8-3 in all games since the injury. Think that's just coincidence? I think not.

The domino effect of losing Sutter is hard to watch. He is a far-more poised and gritty and NHL-skills-ready than the young Horvat. He drives to the net like a fiend, something Horvat cannot do lately either.

It is clear at this point that Bo is not ready for second line duty. He would be better off sheltered on that 3rd line again. The way it's going with him now, you wonder if he'll even heat up this season. I think he will, but I doubt it will be as the 2nd line center. Nothing is clicking there at all. It's not just on Bo either, as the Dry Guys list above shows.

Let's take a quick look at a boxscore list of Sutter's 8 points:

Sutter (D Sedin)
H.Sedin (D Sedin, Sutter)
Sutter SHG (Sbisa)
McCann (Burrows, Sutter)
D. Sedin (Hutton, Sutter)
Sutter PPG (Burrows, Horvat)
Dorsett (Virtanen, Sutter)
Sutter (Hansen, Bartkowski)

The first glaring thing I see there is the different amount of players involved. That screams versatility to me. Speaking of versatile, Sutter is used in all situations. Here are his average time on ice stats per game for the three situations:

Even Strength: 14:17, 3rd-most for the forwards...still

Power Play: 5th among the forwards, even after being gone for over a month.

Shorthanded: 2nd among forwards to Bo Horvat. So, at the time of his injury he was #1.

Did you see how losing so many faceoffs against Chicago hurt the Canucks tonight? Well...Sutter had taken 233 faceoffs and won 125 of them, which is a 53.6% average andstill the best on the team for any regular faceoff guy.

-2 of Sutter's 4 goals are game-winners. Dank leads the team with 3. So yea, Sutter could very well be leading the team in that category right now, since over a month has passed since he played.

We'll have to wait a few more weeks before we get Sutter back. As of December 2 he just had sports hernia surgery and was projected to be out of action for 4-6 weeks. Provided that the Sedins maintain good health moving forward, Sutter's return would not necessarily be the equivalent of the second coming of Christ, but it would create the proper dynamic the Canucks need to create somewhat more of a balanced attack. I use the word "somewhat" because once again, a lot of the onus also needs to be on guys like Vrbata, Burrows and Higgins, who are not providing enough offence for this team. A team that has scored 17 goals in it's last 10 games. Take out the 5-2 win over Buffalo and it's 12 goals in their last 9 games. Aren't stats fun? Hell, how about the 29 goals allowed against in the last 10 games? That's another story for another day, however, there is part of a solution here:

Come back Sutter! We need you!

I like Sutter. Liked the trade when it was made, and the extension when it was announced.

However, it's hard to put much stock in an article that states this:

Speaking of versatile, Sutter is used in all situations. Here are his average time on ice stats per game for the three situations:
Even Strength: 14:17, 3rd-most for the forwards...still
Power Play: 5th among the forwards, even after being gone for over a month.
Shorthanded: 2nd among forwards to Bo Horvat. So, at the time of his injury he was #1.

Does the writer seriously not understand the concept of average TOI?

Brilliant trade by Benning but people need to realize that we're comparing a team with Sutter to a team without Sutter, not a team with Sutter to a team with Bonino + Clendening + 2nd round pick. Just keep that in mind folks. We'd still be pretty good if we had Bonino in the lineup shouldering some of the weight off Horvat and McCann - that's the biggest reason we've sucked so far without Sutter.

Hopefully we can hum around the .500 mark until Sutter returns and then start playing .700 hockey again when he gets back from injury because this team is going nowhere without him.

Let's hope he & Hammy are better than ever in April..rarin'ta go, next season.

Meanwhile, JB has cracked our piggy bank, & is skimmin' from the kiddies' allowance. Take away his pen & telephone.

Subtly surf the stealth-tank wave. DON'T don a leather jacket & attempt to 'jump the shark'.

Take our lumps(1 lump, or 2?), & 'til the soil...

Matthews is a generational talent, it has been reiterated by so many scouts and in a draft that is deeper than last years, I don't mind losing. What concerns me is the fan base losing interest because of what is presented here and now. 

It will be disappointing to see this team get run over in the first round of the playoffs by the likes of LA, ANA.

Sutter is a really valuable piece to this club and I do believe we are a draft and a couple FA away from being a contender. After seeing how rolling 4 lines with speed as skill were working for us in the beginning of the season, it leads me to believe that another solid defence men would be good for us.

Will anyone mind if the Sedins re-sign in a secondary role for a lesser amount? They seem to have quite a bit of gas left. Any thoughts on a dollar amount and term? 

Judging by the way he played at the beginning of the season, he's a great guy to have on the team and it's a shame that he got injured. :( I hope he recovers soon so he can come save the team because right now the Sedins are really the only guys that are getting things done at the moment.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I wouldn't have any expectations for Sutter that crap they put on his muscles during the surgery which holds them together, it has to dissolve away and that takes a long time as does the muscles healing back together.  this injury in a hockey sense is a serious injury because its going to limit his mobility. not only that he wont be able to lift much of anything or his tubes are gonna squirt out of his stomach. I had an ingiunial hernia as a teen playing hockey and if you know what that is you could understand how horrified I was when it happened.   it took along time mentally to be able to confidently exert with force doing weights.   lol I tried to fix myself before my dad found out but they squirted back out and had to explain my dilemma. lol  

So glad I wasn't eating when I read this but I am curious about something. Exactly how did you "try to fix yourself before your dad found out"?

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

well . lol   I blew out the membrane that keeps your intestines outa your nut sack and after looking in shock for a minute I grabbed the tubes or whatever the hell I thought it was and pushed them back up through the hole that I could feel was there.  it didn't hurt so much as the horror. lol

Sports hernia is a nasty injury, hope it healed up well for you.

Archived