The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

1 minute ago, Canucks Prophet said:

That's not even possible with this current roster. Even when they try, they'll win 1 out of 5 or 6 games at best. Maybe they'll win back to back if they get lucky with 2 bad teams, that's about it. And not many teams are worse than the Canucks at this moment. 

I'm fairly comfortable right now, fully expecting a top 10 pick at minimum. I also don't expect to see Vrbata and maybe some other players around here next year. 

They're a much different team with Sutter, Hamhuis and Sbisa.

If those guys are all still on the roster they could go on a late season winning streak.

If Hank is out for any prolonged period Benning has a pretty good 'out' to have a losing season.

Willie's coaching plus the injuries will guarantee a top 10 pick this year.  All benning has to do is get rid of some of these dead weight vets for draft picks and watch the ship sink even further.  How can a team remain competitive with their top 2 centers and two of their top 4 d men out?  Its the perfect out, Benning just needs to grab a bag of popcorn and watch.  His biggest worry should be which vets to unload and who will he pick if he doesnt win the draft lottery.

13 minutes ago, khay said:

Blame must go to Benning.

-Inexperienced players: Baertschi, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, and Hutton.

Horvat and McCann are trying hard but they just don't have enough experience to be relied upon this heavily. I think this season should have been about brining in Baertschi into the NHL full time and letting Horvat continue his development in an environment where he can succeed and less about showcasing Virtanen and McCann to the fans.

He put too much hope on youth and relied on the fact that all of the vets will have a good season. As a result, he failed to prepare properly for the season. The end result is the crap that we are seeing on the ice.

He did everything fans wanted which was add more youth to the line up.  You got it and yet can't stomach it.

If it weren't for Sutter's injury Horvat would probably be playing fewer mins as well.   

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Here's the thing, I can deal with the losing for the rest of the season. I can settle right in and watch the ship sink if I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The worst thing, which is what I'm afraid will happen, is that Benning will refuse to give up and not ship any players out. And all of a sudden the team will try really hard in the last 20 games and just fall short. Ending up with an 15th to a 20th pick.

I couldn't agree with you more, but Benning will try his best to make sure his job is safe first. Either make the playoffs or die trying -- if we get a crappy pick in the draft so be it.

in this market missing the playoffs is like writing your own pink slip.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

So, they're goal scorers I suppose.  

You're flip flopping around out of frustration, but your simple answers aint exactly all that.

No, both play physical and hard around the net, opening up the puck for other players.

You happen to realize that our skilled guys are floating around the perimeter with no one going to the net? You don't score many goals that way.

Kenins knows how to go to the net. Pedan knows how to move the puck up the ice and how to protect his goalie's crease.

Anyone else starting to cheer for Canucks losses? I know it's not a great thing to do as a fan, but I'd much rather the team punt the year than finish 8-10th in the west. Middle ten picks on a team full of third liners is pretty much condemning us to another ten years of middle ten picks.

Just now, Darius71 said:

If Hank is out for any prolonged period Benning has a pretty good 'out' to have a losing season.

Willie's coaching plus the injuries will guarantee a top 10 pick this year.  All benning has to do is get rid of some of these dead weight vets for draft picks and watch the ship sink even further.  How can a team remain competitive with their top 2 centers and two of their top 4 d men out?  Its the perfect out, Benning just needs to grab a bag of popcorn and watch.

you mean a bottle of water an a flask right an pray it holds up till the end 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They're a much different team with Sutter, Hamhuis and Sbisa.

If those guys are all still on the roster they could go on a late season winning streak.

If our Pacific rivals could start stringing some wins together, this team's playoff hopes could be dead before even Sutter returns. 

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

He did everything fans wanted which was add more youth to the line up.  You got it and yet can't stomach it.

If it weren't for Sutter's injury Horvat would probably be playing fewer mins as well.   

You make it sound like he did what the fans wanted. He did what he wanted not what we wanted. I never asked for that much youth to be inserted. I thought Virtanen wasn't ready and McCann was borderline ready due to him not filling out his frame.

In no way is having a single source of failure an acceptable plan. If Benning built a team where Sutter's injury caused total collapse, then he should be blamed for building a team with a single source of failure.

19 minutes ago, khay said:

Blame must go to Benning.

-Inexperienced players: Baertschi, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, and Hutton.

-Mediocre journeymen players: Cracknell, Bartkowski, and Weber.

-Veterans that are less effective than in the past: Higgins, Burrows, Vrbata, and Dorsett... 

That's 12 players out of the 23 man roster. I laughed when Cracknell had to be sent out against Giroux's line. Cracknell has been great in his role but he isn't a shutdown center. Horvat and McCann are trying hard but they just don't have enough experience to be relied upon this heavily. I think this season should have been about brining in Baertschi into the NHL full time and letting Horvat continue his development in an environment where he can succeed and less about showcasing Virtanen and McCann to the fans.

He put too much hope on youth and relied on the fact that all of the vets will have a good season. As a result, he failed to prepare properly for the season. The end result is the crap that we are seeing on the ice.

WD hasn't been great either but he is a coach that promotes four line game so can't blame him too much at this point. He basically has one line that he trusts now and the center for that line was injured in the 1st period today.

This only makes sense if Benning's goal was to win the lottery. Something that has never happened for this franchise.

We got youth in the system, we got some vets that can play, but there is no middle - that is not Benning's fault but rather gillis and nonis and the poor drafting. There is no mid 20's peaking core on this team that's is why we suck. 

2 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

Awful? 17th in the league at 18.4%.

Last year it was 9th at 19.3%.

Not saying it's great, but the powerplay is doing better than the team, lol.

When was the last time you remember them scoring a huge goal when we absolutely needed one? Powerplay stats can be deceiving.

And if being in the bottom 3rd of the league on the powerplay with the Sedins on the team is a good thing, I think we need to raise the bar a little.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No, both play physical and hard around the net, opening up the puck for other players.

You happen to realize that our skilled guys are floating around the perimeter with no one going to the net? You don't score many goals that way.

Kenins knows how to go to the net. Pedan knows how to move the puck up the ice and how to protect his goalie's crease.

k

2 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

If our Pacific rivals could start stringing some wins together, this team's playoff hopes could be dead before even Sutter returns. 

That won't stop them from trying even when they're eliminated.

They'll play for "pride" even if it means we draft 10 spots worse.

If you are benning:

1. do you let McCann go to the WJC? 

I say yes, bring up Vey.....the draft lottery balls will get even hotter for the canucks

2. do you just bunker down and let the team continue on this path, then try and unload some of these dead weight vets at the trading deadline?

I say yes, short term pain for long term gain.  No use trying to make a run for a playoff spot only to be clobbered in the first round.

Archived