The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Francesco was actually a good business man

Canucks Curse

37 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Great post. Should get some of these Benjamins to clam up. 

I'll take some of those Benji's, there hlinka.

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding why some of our CDC brethren think all the Aquilinis care about is having CSE be a giant cash register machine for themselves.

The way I see it, the Aquilinis do not depend on CSE to make them a bunch of money.  They've got plenty of other businesses that take care of that for them.  I would bet the lowest paid execs on CSE staff are members of the Aquilini family (I would bet they take zero income from CSE...they need tax breaks not tax burdens that income brings...no doubt they use CSE to pay for their "business" expenses but I really doubt they take a paycheck...they probably have offshore trust accounts set up paying a bunch of domestic dummy corporations that are under their management that pay for everything they do).  I would bet that the only financial worry the Aquilinis have as it relates to CSE (and the Canucks) is that at worst, it breaks even and that they want to see the equity value in the franchise rise (which it has, in spectacular fashion).

So this whole notion of some of the fanbase making comments such as, "those greedy Aquilinis only care about making money off the backs of Canucks" or "those greedy Aquilinis will refuse a re-build because it will affect their Christmas bonuses" makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

The Aquilinis want CSE to be profitable, that much is true.  But when you get to be dudes at this level, it's a balance sheet game and money is used as a barometer, not a thermometer.  Money to us common folks is about the Benjamins and the monopoly paper we have here in Canada...to the Aquilinis, money is legal tender paper that soils their fingertips.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

We all know Aquilini refuses to accept missing the playoffs because even if we lose in the first round, 2 home games and 2 away games in the post season make him close to 2 million.

A lot of people don't have a full understanding of this financial issue.  Therefore, lots will refute this statement by saying 2 playoff games don't bring much in for the ownership.

It isn't so much of the 2 playoff games, but the season ticket sales for the next season, as well as general merchandise, endorsement, and all the good potential revenue next season.

As much as we hate to admit, the Canucks' club history isn't as rich as many other Canadian teams, therefore our fan base consists of many fickle fans who will turn their back on the team when a poor performance has been displayed.

It affects a whole lot more then just 2 million, and this is what the Acqs can't accept.  

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

"If Francesco was actually a good businessman" eh...

Ridiculous.

Can you do: "If beer wasn't so tasty, I wouldn't be drunk" for your next thread?

Actually.  This guy thinks Canucks are his only business.  You have to be very rich and successful to buy a sports team in the first place.

9 hours ago, homersexual said:

He wants the playoff money because he wants to sell the team. A bottom feeder team won't sell as well as a playoff team. Let's hope he sells it fast, but I hear he wants a redonkulous amount of money for it so until then, make the playoffs or else find a new job.

If he did sell the Canucks you might get an owner who is a cheapo who only wants to spend to the cap floor. Or you could get a big corporation buying the team with 50 bean counters running it. Hoping he sells the team has lots of pitfalls including the very extreem case of moving the team to the US, you just never know with Betman would do.

11 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

If you look at the stats, we are arguably the worst, at least 2nd worst team in the NHL right now behind CBJ.

We all know Aquilini refuses to accept missing the playoffs because even if we lose in the first round, 2 home games and 2 away games in the post season make him close to 2 million. By comparison, they made 40 million during the 2011 cup run in the playoffs alone.

Luigi is the one that made all the big bucks when land in Vancouver was cheap, so who knows what Francesco can actually do.

But if we drafted Austin Matthews, he could easily make over 2 million before the season even starts - commercials, merchandise, promotions for the nhl brand itself. Not to mention, tickets would be in demand again and we would have a franchise player unlike any hyped up player we have ever had. Having Austin Matthews would instantly increase the team's net worth and marketability.

The reason why tickets are down is because the Aquilini's have put the same stale product on the ice since 2012 and the hickey just slowly keeps getting harder and harder to watch.

Getting Matthews is no garauntee, but is by far more likely than us making the playoffs - go look at the vegas line on that.

How do we "know" this? Is there some quote from him to that effect that I'm unaware of?

There have been rumblings that they have been trying to sell the team for the last couple years and they know rebuilds take a long time so theyre just trying to hold the team together with duct tape basically and squeeze out a few more playoff years hoping someone will bite and buy the team

1 hour ago, Kakanucks said:

Finally..... Everyone has been spouting this "Aquillini will never accept rebuilding" like they've all personally talked to him.

On top of that, the team missed the playoffs in 2014 and I swear the sun still came up the next day. FA will survive just fine if it happens again.

Archived