The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

Vey had 1 unfortunate give away last night that led to the shorty... Aside from that his play was stellar. 

Had a snipe job hit the post... Had a huge chance foiled by a fallen Cracknell and was instrumental in the GWG. 

VEYDAY! 

Just now, apollo said:

Vey had 1 unfortunate give away last night that led to the shorty... Aside from that his play was stellar. 

Had a snipe job hit the post... Had a huge chance foiled by a fallen Cracknell and was instrumental in the GWG. 

VEYDAY! 

It's always because of a fallen Cracknell!

So I understand correctly, even tho he went on waivers and cleared at the beginning of the year, now that he been recalled because he was on a 1way contract he would then have to be put back on waivers again to clear?

Is that correct? Now Cracknell for instance is on a 2 way deal i do believe, so could he get sent down without waivers?

Now another question, I have posted a discussion about trading for Etem, They were teammates with WD in Medicince hat, does anyone know if they were linemates? If so if we are going to keep him for the year with the big club why not try to bring in a former teammate/linemate and see how that goes? 

24 minutes ago, Yotes said:

So I understand correctly, even tho he went on waivers and cleared at the beginning of the year, now that he been recalled because he was on a 1way contract he would then have to be put back on waivers again to clear?

Is that correct? Now Cracknell for instance is on a 2 way deal i do believe, so could he get sent down without waivers?

Now another question, I have posted a discussion about trading for Etem, They were teammates with WD in Medicince hat, does anyone know if they were linemates? If so if we are going to keep him for the year with the big club why not try to bring in a former teammate/linemate and see how that goes? 

When a player clears waivers, he doesn't need to be waived again until he has played 10 NHL games or spent 30 days on an NHL roster. 

It has nothing to do with whether he is on a 1 way or 2 way deal.  The only thing having a 1-way deal does is give the player his NHL salary even if he is playing in the minors.  It has no effect on waivers or anything else.

Cracknell would require waivers to be sent to Utica.

I don't know the answer to your Etem question.

ok, likely hood of cracknell being claimed over vey would be slim i presume, both could clear and sounds like vey can be sent down as he hasnt been on roster that long nor played 10 games this year, but would have to make that move soon. Depends if sutter could be back in less than 3 games.

Although we have enough C as is, so why not send him down while we still can without waivers no?

Vey looks better than last year.  He is always playing the high slot, and is almost always back into the defensive zone ahead of the other teams' forwards.  For the role he is playing, the Canucks are getting what they need from him.  Defensive stability, and an offensive push when needed.  Give the guy a break, naysayers.

25 minutes ago, CanuckianOne said:

He's probably here for the rest of the season at this point. I doubt GMJB will risk losing him again

Depends on how close Sutter is IMO. If he's expected back in the next couple weeks, they likely send him back down before he hits that 10 game threshold. 

Then play McCann and Cracknell and worst case, you can call up Gaunce for a game or two.

Yup, 10 games played/30 days on the roster. He hasn't hit that mark yet so regardless of who's ready I'd think he gets sent back before he does. We could call up Friesen if we want the center cover still or go with a winger if Sutter's close (or back already and we still want an extra player).

9 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

I understand Shink's frustrations, but he'll understand that a career is not about instant rewards and instant gratifications. Having a good, largely interrupted season in Utica will be something he'll look back on as a very positive turning point in his progression. His time is coming, he's getting close.

He has to realize that not everyone is a favourite son like Vey

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Vey looks better than last year.  He is always playing the high slot, and is almost always back into the defensive zone ahead of the other teams' forwards.  For the role he is playing, the Canucks are getting what they need from him.  Defensive stability, and an offensive push when needed.  Give the guy a break, naysayers.

I dunno about that....last night he was one of the last back checkers, head down, obviously sucking wind and when he got back he couldn't maintain a check.

on his brutal giveaway that led to the shorty, both players were more or less stationary and vey was left in the dust.

if he's not on the pp he's basically a warm body.  His 5v5 play is not nhl level in a consistent basis.  As a centre I see no value in him.....but then of course I'm not willy d nor am I from Medicine Hat.

4 hours ago, CanuckianOne said:

He's probably here for the rest of the season at this point. I doubt GMJB will risk losing him again

I don't see it as a risk..If he gets claimed, good. Him and his estimated 12 pts this year can go elsewhere and the team will be better off for it.. Trading away a 2nd for him is hindsight now.. We took a chance and failed. Time to move on.

I'm sure we can get better production/experience from our prospects.

15 hours ago, Stormriders said:

I will concede that this years version of Vey is better than last, although still not good enough for this team.  He is NOTHING like Mason Raymond at all.  Raymond was very fast, a good penalty killer and good defensively, none of which are attributes of Vey.  Also, Raymond has score at about a 1 in 5 pace, Vey 1 in 10.  Not even close.  What is close between the two of them is neither is good on the boards or goes to the dirty area.

Raymond was moved down lines, benched and a healthy scratch when he made the nhl. He didn't start off good defensively and certainly not on the pk. It's called development. So why would you expect Vey to be those things the moment he steps into the nhl?

Try paying a little more attention. I saw Vey win board battles and also park himself in front of the net in the last game. Focus on negatives and it's all you'll ever see.

Btw, Raymond had 21 points in 49 games his rookie season and in his first full season 23 points in 72 games. Writing players off quickly will result in missing out on some potential. Not every player needs to become a star. Raymond has played 538 NHL games over 9 seasons. That's a pretty successful career. All Vey needs is experience to become a decent two way regular.

Archived