The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

I was a Vey hater last year but I think his play has improved and I'd slot him in over Cracknell or even move McCann to wing to play with Bear and Bo when Sutter comes back.  BTW that SHG he 'caused' wouldn't of happen if Weber didn't take that horrid shot of the faceoff.

As much as I dislike this post's content, let me answer some of your questions. Vey has been playing hard since hes called up, which is excellent. And it doesn't hurt to give Vey a last chance before we give up on him completely by either burying him in AHL or trade him away. We did spend a 2nd rounder on him after all. As for other players more deserving than Vey to play. Higgins, I am happy Vey is playing over him. Grenier, he is a career AHLer to me. Shinkaruk/Gaunce, I don't see how playing 2-3 NHL games and then sent down to Utica again will aid in their development. Next year is their year. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I was a Vey hater last year but I think his play has improved and I'd slot him in over Cracknell or even move McCann to wing to play with Bear and Bo when Sutter comes back.  BTW that SHG he 'caused' wouldn't of happen if Weber didn't take that horrid shot of the faceoff.

Fine with me.  McCann is unspeakably bad at faceoffs.  Wing sounds good.

Maybe a better question is, Why hasn't leading scorer in Utica Hunter Shinkaruk been recalled when we seem to have so much trouble scoring beyond Sedin's and Hansen

I think it is getting to him, He is choosing his words very carefully

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  23m23 minutes ago

Just talked with Utica Comets leading scorer Hunter Shinkaruk. #Canucks

Shinkaruk on getting by-passed for callups : "When someone goes up and it's not you, sometimes it's tough to swallow."#Canucks

Shinkaruk : "Maybe sometimes I think about it a little bit but it is what it is, all I can do is keep getting better as a player." #Canucks

Shinakruk : "Doesn't matter what you do in junior, pro hockey is a job. We can't complain, it's what we signed up for." #Canucks

Because we have injuries (Sutter, apparently Hansen now), a useless Higgins and McCann is (understandably) a bit overwhelmed playing his first pro season and lacks the strength required to play full time, win draws etc. That's why.

Thought he played decent last night actually, not sure what the complaints are about. He's here for depth that can play W or C, nothing more, nothing less. He's not here to steal Hank's, Horvat's, Sutter's or McCann's jobs so I'm not sure why people are disappointed when he doesn't.

25 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

As much as I dislike this post's content, let me answer some of your questions. Vey has been playing hard since hes called up, which is excellent. And it doesn't hurt to give Vey a last chance before we give up on him completely by either burying him in AHL or trade him away. We did spend a 2nd rounder on him after all. As for other players more deserving than Vey to play. Higgins, I am happy Vey is playing over him. Grenier, he is a career AHLer to me. Shinkaruk/Gaunce, I don't see how playing 2-3 NHL games and then sent down to Utica again will aid in their development. Next year is their year. 

This is a good post, Drak. 

Regarding Grenier, this is his last year at being waiver exempt and like Vey; he might end up becoming career AHLer.  The Canucks have a protocal for calling up rookies and being 'a last chance prospect,' Grenier is next up at bat.  Obviously management does not see Jensen as an option.  He may end up playing in Europe next year.

Shinks and Gaunce will get their chances after trade deadline or next season.  The team has already rushed two rookies, so why add another two?  In the meantime, they are playing for a coach that is doing wonders in helping them develop into good players.

The team is 'what it is' this year.  They have suffered an unreal number of injuries and have endured constant line changes all season long.  Despite all of this, we are witnessing the beginnings of our future team and I think this season is the turning point for this team.  I think we will be seeing a better team next year, although it will take several years before they become anywhere near being a contender.

McCann should slot on Sutters wing when he returns. Gives him a 2 way center and no pressure for taking draws.

Vey can go down or send cracknell down considering Vey is the coaches long lost child or something. But for a role that vey plays we are letting guys like gaunce and shink sit in the minors over him. Both have better numbers than vey this year. Ya he is a C but hes no wizard at the faceoff circle

higgins should get gone, as should vrbata and prust sooner than later. This would allow us to rotate guys in and out of the lineup.

Virtanen, McCann, SHink, Kenins, Ganuce and even Grenier. These guys can all rotate in and out of the lineup and or fill in for injjuries

39 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Maybe a better question is, Why hasn't leading scorer in Utica Hunter Shinkaruk been recalled when we seem to have so much trouble scoring beyond Sedin's and Hansen

I think it is getting to him, He is choosing his words very carefully

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  23m23 minutes ago

Just talked with Utica Comets leading scorer Hunter Shinkaruk. #Canucks

Shinkaruk on getting by-passed for callups : "When someone goes up and it's not you, sometimes it's tough to swallow."#Canucks

Shinkaruk : "Maybe sometimes I think about it a little bit but it is what it is, all I can do is keep getting better as a player." #Canucks

Shinakruk : "Doesn't matter what you do in junior, pro hockey is a job. We can't complain, it's what we signed up for." #Canucks

I understand Shink's frustrations, but he'll understand that a career is not about instant rewards and instant gratifications. Having a good, largely interrupted season in Utica will be something he'll look back on as a very positive turning point in his progression. His time is coming, he's getting close.

9 hours ago, Derp... said:

Vey has improved, give him some credit. Guy almost sniped one today, and had some decent passes. He works hard, just is more of a Mason Raymond than we would like him to be. 

I will concede that this years version of Vey is better than last, although still not good enough for this team.  He is NOTHING like Mason Raymond at all.  Raymond was very fast, a good penalty killer and good defensively, none of which are attributes of Vey.  Also, Raymond has score at about a 1 in 5 pace, Vey 1 in 10.  Not even close.  What is close between the two of them is neither is good on the boards or goes to the dirty area.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

Would you have been willing to trade a 2nd for Zetterberg (7th round) or Datsyuk (6th round) when they they were 23? By your logic you wouldn't have traded a 5th for either of them.

Actually yeah I would. Zetterberg got 40 points fist season, Pavel got 35 points first season followed by 50 points. We passed some good players to get vey. He wasn't worth a 2nd round. The most id give for vey is a late third/fourth.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Vey gave it away when the puck was on his stick though... he tried to dangle and lost it.

I'm afraid that the bottom line for Vey is that his feet are just too slow, and I don't see that he has enough of everything else to compensate for that. It was possible in previous eras to get by if you were a subpar skater, but those days are gone. The game doesn't allow for it anymore.

11 hours ago, sockeye said:

Other than the mess-up on the one powerplay, he had a pretty decent game.  After that give-away, he kept working and then hit the crossbar.  Shortly after that, he assisted on Horvat's goal.  He ended up having an even +/-.  Everybody messes up (ask Jake), it's all about getting back on the horse and giving it your all.  I guess I'm a half glass full poster unlike most of the previous posters in this thread.  

Yeah, that's good. I think Vey is trying too hard sometimes and that's why he makes those mistakes. Even on that PP, the simple play for him was to pass the puck to Hutton and then, Vey should've skated down low to receive the puck back from Hutton as the defender would've converged on Hutton. After losing the puck, he back checked but he was trying his best to check the puck carrier when there were already other checkers converging on the puck carrier. Instead, he should've been mindful of the trailer. And that goal was a bad goal given up on Markstrom's part. 

At the end of the day, I think Vey is better than Higgins and I think that's why he is in the lineup. I notice Vey doing some good things with the puck whereas with Higgins, I don't. 

Archived