The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

I have not been a Vey fan, based on last years performance and was happy he was sent down.  So I have to come on here and say that since he was been recalled, he is a better version of himself and is playing smarter, more determined, and has improved in recent games, with tonight being one of his best.  He is more noticeable for the right reasons and I just hope he keeps doing this.

Vey is on a 1 year contract, he's in the lineup right now because Sutter is hurt, when he's back the choice then Vey will be directly competing against McCann and Cracknell for a spot in the line-up.  He'll likely get a few games because WD loves the kid, but I don't see JB resigning him after this season, he's playing for a job next year so good for him on showing improvement.

8 hours ago, Stormriders said:

I have not been a Vey fan, based on last years performance and was happy he was sent down.  So I have to come on here and say that since he was been recalled, he is a better version of himself and is playing smarter, more determined, and has improved in recent games, with tonight being one of his best.  He is more noticeable for the right reasons and I just hope he keeps doing this.

Who you are playing with makes a difference: I thought Virtanen made Vey a better player at times against Florida (-especially the 1st period.) On the other hand, regardless of linemates Vey did seem to win more puck battles than I recall him doing last year. 

On 12 January 2016 at 7:06 AM, Stormriders said:

I will say I did support him last season as I thought a lot of good things in his game was overlooked. However, I was quite happy to see him go down at the beginning of the season because like a few more of last seasons players it was like he thought he didn't need to try in pre season.

When he got his chance this season though he has been, if not a revelation, at least a pretty solid contributor. I take the opposite view from the poster above, I don't think Jake helped Vey's game (how could he, he has only played with him twice) but more that Vey helped Jake's game.

He is an ideal line mate for players like Jake and Etem because he is totally unselfish, knows how to play a winger in and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. He is highly competitive and thinks the game through. I think that's what Willie liked about him when he coached the Tigers and it is what he likes about him now.

People are so easily blinded by "flashy play" sometimes they don't realise how valuable to a team's performance solid performers who perform selflessly like Vey, are. Thankfully the people who matter do.

It will be a pity he has to go back to Utica just when he has got a decent line to lead but I wouldn't want to lose him to waivers as I think this time he would be snapped up.

Vey worked hard in the offseason and added some strength. He was by far our best face off man by percentage last night. He had a crap camp, but came back up ready to play. I saw flashes with him and Etem last night. I want to see where that goes, because those two could make for a very dangerous third line. Vey looks like he has a very high hockey IQ. When Sutter comes back they should put him with the twins or with Bo on the wing, waive Cracknell, or move McCann to Vey's wing on the 3rd line.

Keeping this Vey has turned off the veterans and they have more or less committed to him staying by bringing in Etem whom Vey played with before. At least the new guy has size and will not be pushed around as easily as Vey. The team still has the huge problem of Edler . I still believe the catering to this coach and his Vey has been a big mistake and the idea of speed and skill against much bigger tougher teams that also have skill is going to keep Canucks injured and struggling for years.

37 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Vey is fixture on the team now since they got his line mate from junior. I guess the belief is that Vey will grow 2" and gain 20 lbs now that Etem is here and Etem will suddenly do what he couldn't do in the other NHL teams.

And develop a SPINE!  B)

Archived