The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Hodge: "NHL officiating falling way short of doing things right."

18 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Sorry if my comment sounded overly critical.   I do appreciate you encouraging debate. 

I just feel your concept leaves the door too open for abuse.  I mean if a players suspension rested too much on whether it was or wasn't blatant, then we know that would be abused.   Raymond's injury back in the finals was absolutely blatant imo,  but you ask a pos Bos  fan, what are they going to say - know what i mean? 

I think we can agree that somewhere in between there is an answer,  just seems like what D.Hodge is implying,  the refereeing and board for player safety is 2 steps behind the pace of the game.

It's just the inconsistency that is so incredibly evident season after season. I'm not calling for a lockout but the rulebook needs to be more black and white, and suspension lengths as well. They really need to sort it out because the NHL is becoming a joke in this aspect of the game. 

The league has become a farce. Player safety ? Please. While star players on some teams are carted off on stretchers from hits that are clearly intended to injure others are handed suspensions for borderline hockey plays and accidental collisions. The DOPS should be investigated along with every official in the league.

Yet another example last night: A boarding from behind by Oilers' Hendricks on Ekblad that is getting a phone hearing from the DoPS but didn't get so much as a dirty look from the refs. In fact, the only 3 penalties the Oilers were called for were all fighting and with the first one they actually got a PP out of it because they gave Bjugstad an instigator penalty for sticking up for his teammate following a hit into the short boards.

Maybe we should start looking at the officials in these games were the DoPS gives a player a call for a hit that didn't even get a penalty. I wonder if there's a name or two that reoccurs or if all of the NHL refs are just so poorly trained and managed that they're all incompetent.

Guess that will take Hodge off of Ron McLean's Christmas card list!  As others have said though, the DOPS isn't much better.  

Example: I can't believe Perry didn't get supplemental discipline for the cross-check to Bernier's neck last week.  It was pretty vicious, although I heard Bernier claimed afterwards he tried to sell it, so maybe that gave Perry the undeserved pass on this one.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:45 AM, poetica said:

Yet another example last night: A boarding from behind by Oilers' Hendricks on Ekblad that is getting a phone hearing from the DoPS but didn't get so much as a dirty look from the refs. In fact, the only 3 penalties the Oilers were called for were all fighting and with the first one they actually got a PP out of it because they gave Bjugstad an instigator penalty for sticking up for his teammate following a hit into the short boards.

Maybe we should start looking at the officials in these games were the DoPS gives a player a call for a hit that didn't even get a penalty. I wonder if there's a name or two that reoccurs or if all of the NHL refs are just so poorly trained and managed that they're all incompetent.

Yes we need to categorize these blatant missed calls from the Eckblad hit to the weber penalty (which was a clear follow through not a high stick).

Ref's need to start owning their s**t

On 10/01/2016 at 10:40 AM, SergioMomesso said:

Any player suspended after a game should also have to sit the next game the two teams involved play against each other. Without being able to call someone up to fill his roster spot. 

This is actually a really good idea.

I would even take it to the level that you have to play shorthanded for the length of the players suspension. It would make the thought of a suspension much worse.

A deep team like Washington (not saying they're dirty, just an example of a deep team) isn't really going to bat an eye if a 4th liner gets suspended. Just replace them with someone who is pretty much as good. 

Bot being able to replace a suspended player would make suspensions a lot scarier and would probably clean up the game. 

On 2016-01-11 at 11:45 AM, poetica said:

You should have seen Hamilton destroy Hall from behind last night, not even a flinch from the refs.  There will be a career ending injury soon, only a matter of time.

Players need to make a stand and demand that the NHLPA file a formal complaint and have all the officials investigated. Every game every night there are handfuls of calls a 5 year old would recognize as a penalty.  The league needs to be held accountable for their clear management of the game.

Archived