The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

1 hour ago, goblix said:

I doubt he'd want to goto Columbus though... limited NTC and all...

If all else fails and we waived him Columbus would have first dibs... not really his call. If he wants to stay in the NHL and play he is going to have to bend a bit.

21 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

In all fairness, you don't dismantle a team that won the presidents trophy and came within a win of the Stanley cup the very next year.  Now the years following that, yes, Gillis sat on his hands way too long.

Stanley Bowman begs to differ.

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Why can't they just send Vey down? They don't need to waive him next week if they don't want to.

I'm hoping they do that too. He has been playing well but there is no sense risking him to waivers again if you don't have to. With Sutter and Hansen coming back we need 2 spots. Higgins and ________ (prust/vrbata). Send down Vey now while he is exempt and bring him back up later when you clear room.

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If all else fails and we waived him Columbus would have first dibs... not really his call. If he wants to stay in the NHL and play he is going to have to bend a bit.

Yes understandable, I don't think he's as undesirable as most make him out to be here, reported that theirs 4-5 teams interested pseudo confirms that.

Canucks should do their best to fit where Higgins would like to be rather than snub him of his NTC. He's been a valued member of the organization and I would have to think that there will be a mutual agreement on trade partner and return.

For Higgins, I doubt he'll be overly picky in his teams. I can see MTL, FLDA and all of the NY teams being good fits and appealing to Higgy.

If anything we should have traded Hansen while his value was at an all time high.

Seems like jb is grasping at straws with this announcement.

Just waive him and be done with it. This team is terrible at optimizing return in assets.

33 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

In all fairness, you don't dismantle a team that won the presidents trophy and came within a win of the Stanley cup the very next year.  Now the years following that, yes, Gillis sat on his hands way too long.

Won the president's cup that year too and if it weren't for Keith's elbow and a hobbled Kesler, we would have likely gone pretty far that season as well.

Wheels only really started to come off in the 12/13 season.

2 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

If anything we should have traded Hansen while his value was at an all time high.

Seems like jb is grasping at straws with this announcement.

Just waive him and be done with it. This team is terrible at optimizing return in assets.

Hansen is 29 years old having the best season of his career, he is in his prime and will be for a few more years. He is signed to a great contract, is a character player and can play any situation. No way you trade him.

2 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

But he got his cup.  Also, they didn't exactly dismantle the team.

They removed a huge amount of pieces after each successful Cup run. I think that is what Gillis (supposedly) would have, and should have, done after 2012.

He didn't though, and it seems all too convenient that he blames the Aquilinis for not letting him blow it up. If that is the case.

Just now, coryberg said:

Hansen is 29 years old having the best season of his career, he is in his prime and will be for a few more years. He is signed to a great contract, is a character player and can play any situation. No way you trade him.

A package of Hansen, Higgins and Burrows could garner some awesome parts from a Stanley Cup bound team, as well as free up some much needed space for youth.

I kind of like that the Canucks are finding it hard to fit upcoming players in. That's a great position to be in.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VIRTANEN
BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - GRENIER
ETEM - SUTTER - CRACKNELL
PRUST - McCANN - DORSETT

EDLER - TANEV
BARTKOWSKI - SBISA
HUTTON - WEBER
Biega

MILLER
MARKSTROM

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They removed a huge amount of pieces after each successful Cup run. I think that is what Gillis (supposedly) would have, and should have, done after 2012.

He didn't though, and it seems all too convenient that he blames the Aquilinis for not letting him blow it up. If that is the case.

Very different reasons though, Chicago would've like to keep everyone they had but the cap situation they were in and are in now forced them to move on from players that they would've kept.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

he had 36pts last year, 39 the year before. If thats aweful then what do you say about burrows who carries a 4.5m cap hit who has been outscored by Higgins

Yes this year higgins has had a tough go, but damn ppl he had a couple good years recently, and his production for cap hit far exceed Burrows in that time.

I get the impression that it's the "on ice effort factor" that the Canuck's organization are not happy with anymore. Most likely the last game against Tamp Bay was the deciding factor. Higgins was a healthy scratch the game before and then was inserted back into the lineup to see if the view from the press box was inspiring for him. As has been the case this year with Higgins, he put in a VERY uninspired, play from the peripheral, wave his stick as the opposition goes by him, type of game. NOT what management wanted to see from him, especially with all the young guns chomping at the bit to get into the lineup. Pretty sure Willie D, Benning, and or Linden have most likely had this conversation with him more than once this year. Yes, he did have relatively decent numbers 2 season ago and a bit last year, but he really has been invisible on the ice for about 3 years now. I went to three games last year (Higgins played all three) and I had no idea he was even playing. Doesn't say much for his on ice presence for sure.

I think Higgins is just the first of a few "dominos" to fall from now to the trade deadline. Higgins seems to be at the bottom of the totem pole right now (as in he's the first to go) but I would be very surprised if he wasn't followed very quickly by Burrows, Vrbata, Weber, and possibly Hamhuis. I would rank Burrows and Vrbata pretty even as far as "lost" goes (just under Higgins) and then Weber and Hamhuis. Hanhuis is getting older and slower, and before his injury he was making a lot of mistakes he never used to make, and he was also getting hit very hard on certain nights. Think he might be moved after he's healthy and the team can get something for him. Certainly wouldn't extend him that's for sure. I think the only thing that has kept Webber in the lineup are the injuries to the Canucks defensive core and the fact that he tries 100% every night. Almost feel sorry for him as he does have a good work ethic, unfortunately he's just not a very good NHL calibre player.   

Just now, goblix said:

Very different reasons though, Chicago would've like to keep everyone they had but the cap situation they were in and are in now forced them to move on from players that they would've kept.

Yes. True. But when they decided to do it, they did it. I like that decisiveness.

I think Benning is of that same mind. And that, in and of itself, is truly exciting.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. True. But when they decided to do it, they did it. I like that decisiveness.

I think Benning is of that same mind. And that, in and of itself, is truly exciting.

It's hard to call it decisiveness when it's forced but yes it's good to see decisiveness and a GM keeping his word that he will hit the hard questions and stick to the plan on getting younger.

During the Gillis regime, he traded too many picks, missed on too many of them, and the contracts he signed had too many NTC tied to them. He made it hard on himself to move players.

23 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Or we could get a great pick for him and let Higgins fill his role..

If higgins could get a midround pick then great. I wouldn't be surprised if he cleared waivers...

Archived