The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hmmmmm......I could just see it now............................................

BREAKING NEWS: Dustin Brown was arrested at the LAX airport this morning, after it was discovered that he was carrying 4 lbs. of cocaine in his carry-on bag. The bag had the name Lombardi on the ID tag.

Masterful post. 

14 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Crag Button was saying the kings are going to get Brown off the books one way or the other and resign Lucic with that money. The are also looking at moving Gaborik if need be. I honestly think the Kings will do whatever it takes to sign Lucic. He just fits that team so well. 

Thought I heard a rumour that the Kings offered 4.5 earlier?? (Rumour)

Now this, to be followed up next week..  Remember,  "whatever it takes " and "what you can do" are 2 different things :

image.png

22 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Crag Button was saying the kings are going to get Brown off the books one way or the other and resign Lucic with that money. The are also looking at moving Gaborik if need be. I honestly think the Kings will do whatever it takes to sign Lucic. He just fits that team so well. 

This is really concerning..

Can anyone think of other star players re-signing 1-2 weeks before free agency? I imagine it does happy fairly often, teams clearing cap and also making higher offers.

It sounds like LA is hell bent on throwing away old Dusty Brown for a younger, more shiny option in Lucic (different positions albeit). I dunno it kinda reeks. Would you WANT to fall into such arms? The arms that are so eager to cast a big part of their success aside? From a moral standpoint LA is a freaking Mob ring.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Yup LA will make one final offer and if not they will be shopping!!!With our cap i doubt we can offer him unless we trade burrows at half salary and Higgings gets sent down right away and retires!!!

We have plenty of cap space to sign him regardless of Higgins/Burrows. 

13 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Can anyone think of other star players re-signing 1-2 weeks before free agency? I imagine it does happy fairly often, teams clearing cap and also making higher offers.

It sounds like LA is hell bent on throwing away old Dusty Brown for a younger, more shiny option in Lucic (different positions albeit). I dunno it kinda reeks. Would you WANT to fall into such arms? The arms that are so eager to cast a big part of their success aside? From a moral standpoint LA is a freaking Mob ring.

Do you really think these guys care about that stuff?  Show them the right salary, term, and conditions and they will be happy to play on your team, regardless of how you previously mistreated a former player. Unless it's Edmonton, of course.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you really think these guys care about that stuff?  Show them the right salary, term, and conditions and they will be happy to play on your team, regardless of how you previously mistreated a former player. Unless it's Edmonton, of course.  

My real question was how often to pending UFAs re-sign close to the FA period.

Morality is a side issue in contract negotiations, I realize that. It just highlights a greasy organization and it shouldn't be ignored, could be you in the future.. Feel me?

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

Hmm.. Oh i know 2! Daniel and Henrik Sedin! Remember Burke flying to Sweden with Toronto to try and take them in FA?

1 minute ago, John Tortorella said:

Hmm.. Oh i know 2! Daniel and Henrik Sedin! Remember Burke flying to Sweden with Toronto to try and take them in FA?

There's 2. But wasn't it Gillis flying in? If Burke was there too it's not only tampering, but grounds for a good barnyard dust up. Hmm Benning vs. Burke..

23 minutes ago, Western Red said:

There's 2. But wasn't it Gillis flying in? If Burke was there too it's not only tampering, but grounds for a good barnyard dust up. Hmm Benning vs. Burke..

maybe it was gillis? maybe it was burke at home pestering sedin's and then gillis flew to sweden to close up deal

Do you guys remember this old interview of Lucic before this season started? Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks.

Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks.

"I honestly don't know what's going to happen moving on," Lucic told TSN 1410 Radio in response to a direct question on the topic. "I mean I have one year left on my contract, and there's a possibility that I can hit the [unrestricted free agent] market. ...

"It's obviously something that's been a dream of mine since I've been a kid, is to play in your hometown and play for the Canucks, but right now the main focus is going down to L.A. and trying to make the most of that."

https://www.nhl.com/news/kings-lucic-can-see-himself-playing-for-canucks/c-777956

I think Benning will offer him a big contract that Milan can't refuse. JB is willing to overpay a bit to get what he wants. I'd rather have Lucic than nothing.

14 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

Do you guys remember this old interview of Lucic before this season started? Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks.

https://www.nhl.com/news/kings-lucic-can-see-himself-playing-for-canucks/c-777956

I think Benning will offer him a big contract that Milan can't refuse. JB is willing to overpay a bit to get what he wants. I'd rather have Lucic than nothing.

Lucic and Gudbranson will make a significant culture change for this team.  Add Jake, Etem, Horvat, Tryamkin to that mix (not necessarily fighters but guys that can win puck battles and dish out hits) and all of the sudden the team doesnt look like your grandma's bingo crew anymore.  It has been shameful watching this team get physically dominated during the past couple years.

41 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Lucic and Gudbranson will make a significant culture change for this team.  Add Jake, Etem, Horvat, Tryamkin to that mix (not necessarily fighters but guys that can win puck battles and dish out hits) and all of the sudden the team doesnt look like your grandma's bingo crew anymore.  It has been shameful watching this team get physically dominated during the past couple years.

Is there a spot for Pedan - 8th D; 4th line wing?  

On 6/16/2016 at 9:27 PM, Western Red said:

Burke was actually there, with the fimsy excuse of doing some "scouting"... he was ready for the exact moment of free agency to call the agent and say he was outside their house.  The Leafs were investigated for tampering because it came on the heels of Wilson saying he wanted to sign them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/wilsons-remarks-about-sedins-prompt-league-investigation/article1199867/

On 6/16/2016 at 10:26 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Hmmmmm......I could just see it now............................................

BREAKING NEWS: Dustin Brown was arrested at the LAX airport this morning, after it was discovered that he was carrying 4 lbs. of cocaine in his carry-on bag. The bag had the name Lombardi on the ID tag.

Yeah I head the news too. Apparently, Lombardi and Brown were travelling together. Lombardi said he is going to the bathroom to take a dump and asked Brown to hold on to his bag while his gone. 10 minutes later, a cop and a police dog showed up together and Brown was arrested for possession of drug. 

I guess Brown is as dumb as he looks. You should never say yes when someone asks you to look after their bag at the airport! 

5 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Can you imagine how much having those two would impact Virtanen's game!

6 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Ok, but, haven't the Canucks already tried the salt-and-vinegar approach in recent years under 2 HC's? I dunno, but, looking at Pittsburgh in the SC Playoffs this season kinda has me longing for the days when ya had to catch the Canucks first in order to beat 'em. Lucic doesn't exactly fit that concept and I'm not so keen on seeing a roster full of knuckle-draggers out there next season. 

In other news, Kyle Okposo hits the UFA market next month...

2 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah I head the news too. Apparently, Lombardi and Brown were travelling together. Lombardi said he is going to the bathroom to take a dump and asked Brown to hold on to his bag while his gone. 10 minutes later, a cop and a police dog showed up together and Brown was arrested for possession of drug. 

I guess Brown is as dumb as he looks. You should never say yes when someone asks you to look after their bag at the airport!

Wouldn't put it past Lombardi. 

19 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Ok, but, haven't the Canucks already tried the salt-and-vinegar approach in recent years under 2 HC's? I dunno, but, looking at Pittsburgh in the SC Playoffs this season kinda has me longing for the days when ya had to catch the Canucks first in order to beat 'em. Lucic doesn't exactly fit that concept and I'm not so keen on seeing a roster full of knuckle-draggers out there next season. 

In other news, Kyle Okposo hits the UFA market next month...

Sure, but they havent had the personnel to play a grittier style.  This has been arguably the softest team in the league during the past 2 or 3 years. Visiting teams would do whatever they wanted on the ice.  Our best players got run at, rookies got mauled, goalies got bumped and there was no answer.   There is a stigma that has stuck with them since the 2011 finals, and its true - this team is pathetically soft.  It is embarrassing to watch sometimes (think of what an AHL hack like Ferkland single handedly did to the defence in the playoffs a couple years ago...)

I dont think guys like Lucic and Gudbranson are knuckle draggers. Lucic was a critical component of a cup winning team a few years back and managed to put up 55 points last year.  Gudbranson was given big minutes by the Panthers during the playoffs.  Its not like we are talking about Mike Duco and Tom Sestito here.

Finally, I agree- Pittsburgh won with speed and by not taking the game to the gutter.  I like that style of play.  But they also have a generational talent in Crosby and elite players like Malkin and Letang.    Id also argue that as a team they are tougher than the Canucks.

Archived