The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning willing to get nothing in return for Hamhuis/Vrbata if it means getting kids playoff expereience

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what is "being in playoff contention exactly?

Being tied for the second wild card spot?

I really hope he's just saying this to get other GMs even more aggressive in their bids.

Even if you have NO plans to sell one has to think

• Chicago
  • Florida
  • Washington
  • St Louis
  • Tampa
  • Dallas
  • Los Angeles
  • Pittsburgh

All wanting a top 4 D man with experience and now starting a possible bidding war for the one guy you have at a solid cap hit who happens to be the top available D man that one of them will make that offer that cannot be refused.

And if we hear during the next Summit they do with the fans that "we had a deal offered for Hamhuis (like miller last year) but decided not to act on it (because we traded Lack instead)" I expect someone to throw a bottle at the podium, especially if we retain him and he goes off to the highest contract offered instead of re-signing here

I feel like ownership has a lot of say in what Benning does. 2 playoff games at home is better than 0. They'll make quite a bit of money off of just those two home games so perhaps ownership is telling Benning that if there is even a slight chance, don't sell these two important UFA's.

Players and management are very proud people, and very competitive. They want to make the playoffs, as they probably equate that to a successful season, regardless of what happens when they get there. They might also think missing the playoffs is considered an unsuccessful season (failure).

I do hope Benning is blowing smoke and has a deal going for Vrbata and Hamhuis. He wants to give the kids experience, then why not bring up more kids? I'm sure whoever they bring in would have more speed and intensity than Burrows or Vrbata. (Kenins? Shinkaruk?)

25 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

How about we just wait and see what happens at the deadline before needlessly lashing out at management. 

Good point.  Think I'll withold judgement until after TDL.  Assumptions only make an arse of u and me (and everyone else).

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It may be a tactic, or not. I'm not going to comment, as it's not clear what's going on inside Benning's mind. One thing is for sure, he really wants to make the playoffs. So, I would rather wait and see how the Canucks do in the next two weeks, and what happens leading up to the trade deadline.

It could be a tactic, trying to get GM's to actually call on a player like Vrbata. With the season he has had and his high cap hit, there are plenty of cheaper ufa players available. I honestly believe if we retain 50% on vrbata that will be the best way to get a return for him.

Benning should be willing maximize return on both Hammer and Vrbata while making a push for the playoffs. Virtanen looked way more effective with Bo and Baer than Vrbata did. If you can get anything at all remotely decent for Vrbatra I think you do it.

The worst thing you can do in sports is get stuck in 'no mans land'. My NFL team the jets just did it this year (best record not in playoffs---worst nonplayoff draft pick) and I dont think I can tolerate the canucks joining them there.

I'll be kinda surprised if Hamhuis gets traded Tbh. He wants to stay, Edler is hurt, our D us not so great. It makes sense to keep him on board. 

I'll be down downright f***ing shocked if Vrbata stays though. Doesn't score, doesn't forecheck, doesn't keep up with the play. Take whatever on him, the team will be just fine without him. Plus is Benning is serious about adding anything for a playoff push, roster size and cap space say no to that so he's gotta go anyways.

no worries... i think this is just a smoke screen. either benning didn't even get the offers good enough for hamius, or vrbata, or perhaps he is a pure genius... either way my prediction is the canucks will win a couple games then go on a big losing streak but still be in the hunt for the playoffs. keep in mind they are in the playoff hunt as of now..17 days till the trade deadline well isn't really alot of time to go either way in direction for the good of the organization. cheers..

Archived