The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can understand why Benning got out and got Granlund instead of a pick. I think in his mind. a second rounder will need time to develop. if they make it to the big show at all. while Granlund who was a former second round pick has already been developed by the Flames organization (up to the point where he was traded). thing is.bibdont think Calgary's management saw him as top six material. I'm finding it difficult to understand how Benning and management felt like they just had to trade Shinkurak. why not give him a shot to see if he can contribute to the NHL level before making a trade? if he can't contribute. no harm done. but if he can. then you can really get something in return for the guy. but they didn't even give him a shot (one game against Montrèal, and he wasn't even out of place in that game) to prove his worth.

i know that 5 games is a small sample size. but it still is a sample. it shows that he has the ability to contribute at this level. kind of like Bäertschi before he was traded to Van. he showed glimpses of his ability and potential. but needed a change of scenery to really blossom. he's got that with the Canucks this year (though that almost went to the wayside as well...Willie confessed as much). just curious as to why Benning felt like he needed to trade Shinkurak. one of the few promising players we have offensively in the AHL club, away? and for a middling to bottom six player? can Granlund really contribute in the top six? 

Why wouldn't he be able to?  You think Shink is going to and Granlund has better numbers at every level.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why wouldn't he be able to?  You think Shink is going to and Granlund has better numbers at every level.

has he proven he can? I'm not convinced that Canucks management sees him as a top six player. I think they see him as a middle six or bottom six player. which is why I am asking the question if he's able to or if he's going to be given a shot at making the top six. Bäertschi isn't going anywhere. I think he's now a lock in the top six. who is the other LWinger? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

has he proven he can? I'm not convinced that Canucks management sees him as a top six player. I think they see him as a middle six or bottom six player. which is why I am asking the question if he's able to or if he's going to be given a shot at making the top six. Bäertschi isn't going anywhere. I think he's now a lock in the top six. who is the other LWinger? 

That's where he will likely fall and that's why they traded for him.  Shink won't likely be a reliable top 6 and he's a liability anywhere else in the lineup.  Granlund can score, play pp, good in his own end and can play pk.

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

I still don't understand where everyone is getting this idea that Shink is a better player/fit for this team than Granlund.

lets break down the facts 

both Shinkaruk and Granlund had similar stats in the AHL. 

Shinkaruk is shorter and lighter than Granlund. 

Granlund has been touted by management and scouts to be the better two way forward.

now let's compare NHL numbers.

Shinks first 7 games in the NHL and Granlunds first 7 games in the NHL. 

Very similar except that Granlund shows he had the better plus minus for the first 7 games. 

Hunter is excited about his big Calgary debut and playing in the NHL for the first time. But one big hit by Shea Weber or a couple well placed slashes and he'll start to play like the player the Canucks management expect him to be. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Granlund technically only played 12 seconds on his 7th game and played less minutes throughout his first few games. Didn't play on the flames top line and did not get any pp time. Calgary is using shink differently than they used Granlund. 

Logic isn't appreicated here, if you want to be logical, there are plenty of other threads that you can be logical in :P

Edited by Gstank29

20 hours ago, stawns said:

That's where he will likely fall and that's why they traded for him.  Shink won't likely be a reliable top 6 and he's a liability anywhere else in the lineup.  Granlund can score, play pp, good in his own end and can play pk.

I agree with your assesment that Shink probably won't be a reliable top six guy. But Granlund can't score consistently, he's pretty weak in his own end (always getting outmuscled), and his pk ability isn't anything to write home about. We got a fringe NHLer in Granlund, who has shown almost no indication that he'll be anything more. However, we gave up another guy who looks destined to follow the same route...though he does have a higher ceiling. I mean, I really want Granlund to succeed, I truly hope to be proven wrong, but absolutely nothing he has done has shown that he'll develop into anything more.

28 minutes ago, OptionalPants said:

I agree with your assesment that Shink probably won't be a reliable top six guy. But Granlund can't score consistently, he's pretty weak in his own end (always getting outmuscled), and his pk ability isn't anything to write home about. We got a fringe NHLer in Granlund, who has shown almost no indication that he'll be anything more. However, we gave up another guy who looks destined to follow the same route...though he does have a higher ceiling. I mean, I really want Granlund to succeed, I truly hope to be proven wrong, but absolutely nothing he has done has shown that he'll develop into anything more.

All these things can still be developed.

58 minutes ago, OptionalPants said:

He's still a prospect, barely older than Shink.........how do you figure that Shink has a higher ceiling when granlunds numbers have been better in the AHL?

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He's still a prospect, barely older than Shink.........how do you figure that Shink has a higher ceiling when granlunds numbers have been better in the AHL?

This thread has become a revolving door...  all because of knee jerk reactions and a lack of patience. 

1238408718_revolving-door-fail.gif

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

One year older, just breaking into the league.  And will be a nice fit for Laine coming in.

If Benning drafts one of the Finns they likely play in Van next fall. Granlund could be a nice transition piece for them.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, OptionalPants said:

Hes not à fringe nhl player. Hes ànother one of those poorly developped calgary prospects that still has à chance to get to his potential. Hes 23 years old, former 2nd round pick and has à great 2 way game. For me I see him as a POTENTIAL 2nd line player or an élite 3rd line center. We dont have a contender right now so I definetely agree that we should let our prospects get as much nhl expérience as possible in orders to dévelop into the type of players we will need For our next cup Run.  Shinkaruk wasnt in our plans. Thats it. We got à 2 way gritty player with créative offensive flair (from multiple scouting reports) and he has untapped potential. We are in no rush, we can wait and see what hé will do for our team. Remember our last fin on this team, didnt expect much and he bécame à ROH calibre player for us (although hé hasnt been nominated, just people on this board tend to agree that hé should be up there... Talking about salo). Lets wait and see before playing Mr. Armchair GM that would win cups every year. Trust bénning. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, and I love his work ethic but he looks to be more of an occasional contributor offensively who's good off the puck but needs to be better at faceoffs. A good player for his spot in the roster, but certainly not a game breaker or anything that will be a high end player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Granlund will play for Finland at the world's another canuck representing!

Sorry postive comments about Granlund aren't allowed in this thread :P

Should be a good experince for him, I hope it helps his confidence