The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Reputation Tied To Shinkaruk

TheGuardian_

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, iinatcc said:

Jury's still out on this trade. Hunter can still become a 60 pt NHL player once he reaches 24 and Granlund might end up a 30 pt player when it's all said and done. 

This is a trade you make every day of the week if you get the opportunity....

On 2017-03-26 at 2:06 PM, WHL rocks said:

Hutton was a Mike Gillis pick. We don't know how goldobin and Boucher will turn out yet. Boucher has been on multiple teams in the past few months. Virtanen might end up being a 4th liner and was a bad pick in hindsight. 

But overall JB has restocked the cupboards and re builds take 7 to 10 years so this is a long term project. This is a decent start for JB but we need top tier, game breaking talent. We need a future 1D and 1C and those 2 players are the hardest get in the NHL. Its very difficult to get one of those players and we need both. Hope OJ develops into that 1D but we won't know for 5 years. 

The Canucks might be closer than you think.

Last years draft as well as 2017 an 2018 draft will define him to a greater degree the ?

is can he replace the Sedins?

this will define his legacy more than the trades can he draft a NHL super star?

Horvat was not his pick 

right now the team is in dire need of goal scoring up front on forward an on blue line . It remains to be seen if can draft some of this talent rather than try buy it thru free agency.

On 2016-02-22 at 4:42 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

GM's, just who do they work for? The team? The league? The owner's? Themselves? Do they owe "anything" to the fans?

Owing the fans, to me the GM and president enter into a verbal contract, it is a matter of honor clouded with a variety of issues, secrets and eventually it comes down to disrespect.

"Such as the Iraq."

On 2017-03-25 at 4:22 PM, Baggins said:

Well he'll have to really pick up his pace on the 15 NHL games he's played in his career. He turns 23 at the start of next season and has only managed 7 whole games with 1 assist in Calgary's lineup this year. Next year he's waiver eligible. lmao

I haven't paid much attention to Shinkaruk this year but just looked at his stats. As far as the numbers go, he looks like he really needs to pick up his pace at the AHL level, never mind the NHL.

Anybody follow Stockton close enough to know why his production is down so much? Are there reasons? Injuries?

Or has he just regressed as a prospect?

He's scoring way fewer goals than he did in Utica and his points/game is almost half what it was his last year with the Comets.

Not anywhere close to what you'd want to see from a player of his type (if he's gonna make it as an NHLer).

Again, unless there are reasons, like a major injury or a bunch of minor ones that've hampered him this year, he's just not charting well right now (as far as the numbers go).

I haven't been following him so I don't know what's up.

On a related note, Jankowski seems to be progressing fairly well down in Stockton. Having a nice season for the Heat (25g 23a, 48pts in 56GP) and leading that team in scoring. Still only 22 and was always a long term project. He's looking like a kid who might still pan out as some level of an NHL player (after all that's been said about that pick). I actually kinda hoped last year he'd wait out the Flames, hit free agency, and Weisbrod would get him signed with us.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎26 at 0:51 PM, Me_ said:

Hutton, Stetcher, Virtanen, Boeser, Demko, Dahlen, Goldobin and Boucher say otherwise.

Impact? What is defined as "impact" to you?

Hutton is a Gillis guy. Stecher always wanted to be here, The rest are too new to call winners by anyone.

So the Shinkark deal is his very best yet. So far. Start the award ceremony.

16 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Benning may be judged more on Virtanen and OJ 

You might want to throw the Forsling deal in there as well.

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

The Canucks night he closer than you think.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎26 at 1:25 PM, oldnews said:

but now you'll try to change your target.

good minus hunting.  had to plus you for the effort.

Funny, I thought Hunter was traded for Granlund.

I am not the poster trolling here, nor am I attempting to cherry pick Benning's mistakes, this appears to be the only trade that might work out for him. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am not the poster trolling here, nor am I attempting to cherry pick Benning's mistakes, this appears to be the only trade that might work out for him. 

Sorry, the Granund trade is Bennings only good one? What about the Baertschi trade? Or the two he made last deadline? Benning has made some great moves! some of his UFA signings are questionable but thats about it.

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sorry, the Granund trade is Bennings only good one? What about the Baertschi trade? Or the two he made last deadline? Benning has made some great moves! some of his UFA signings are questionable but thats about it.

Apart that this thread is supposed to only about Shinkaruk, I guess the question is then where is the team now? Less goals, more against, fewer points just about all the prospects on the team, not much left in the minors, no depth, only two out of 21 potential draft picks playing in the NHL now that Boeser is here.

Are any of the new kids capable of bumping the Sedins? or ever replacing their numbers and winning scoring titles?

Maybe another thread or re-post of a Benning's deals should be done.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Apart that this thread is supposed to only about Shinkaruk, I guess the question is then where is the team now? Less goals, more against, fewer points just about all the prospects on the team, not much left in the minors, no depth,

Juolevi, Lockwood, Brisebois, Virtanen Demko, Gaudette, Dahlen are still in the system.  + this years draft where we have 4 picks in the top 120 selections

Goldy, Sven, Hutton, Horvat, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Granlund, Brock, are in the NHL 25 and under. 

only two out of 21 potential draft picks playing in the NHL now that Boeser is here.

Technically canucks have 4, Since jake, Jared, Tryamkin, and forsling all have over 30 games in the NHL. Yes we've traded 2 of those players away and decided it's best for Jakes development to play a year in the AHL but that doesn't take away from the fact that canucks drafted NHL players.  Also we've picked up young players that are playing in the NHL, Sven, Granlund, Goldy, which reflects on JB's trading abilities. 

Draft picks take time, not just for vancouver but for every NHL team,  In the last 3 years, here is how many players that have been drafted by the organization which have played over 15 NHL games:

Calgary -2 players

Minnesota - 0 players

Buffalo - 2 players

NYI - 2 players

CAR - 2 players

TO - 2 players

WPG - 3 players

ARZ -  3 players

NSH - 2 players

DAL - 0 players

The fact that the canucks already have 4 players over 30 games says something about JB's drafting abilities. 

Are any of the new kids capable of bumping the Sedins? or ever replacing their numbers and winning scoring titles?

Very few players will ever be able to match the sedins 110 points season.  But with that said, it's about building a team to win a cup, not will a scoring title.  In the 18 years we've had the sedins we still have zero cups. 

Maybe another thread or re-post of a Benning's deals should be done.

please no...

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Juolevi, Lockwood, Brisebois, Virtanen Demko, Gaudette, Dahlen are still in the system.  + this years draft where we have 4 picks in the top 120 selections

By my count, the Canucks will have 4 picks in the top 60 odd, if we assume the CBJ 2nd (1st, 2×2nd, 3rd). Five if SJS win the Cup, and no other trades.

Assuming SJS don't win the Cup, that's 2 more 4ths to the 4 picks in 60ish, so 6 picks in top 120. (Our conditional for Larsen drops to a 5th).

On 3/26/2017 at 11:52 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Hey, I admit Grandlund is a winner, but after Forsling was dealt for a bag of pucks and two drafts are behind every other team and Vey, Etem and many over paid contracts, he is bound to get ONE right every now and then, even a broken clock is right twice a day. We still wait on how much he is paying Gudbranson yet, what do you think 4 mil a season?

So you are right less than a broken clock. Congrats.

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Apart that this thread is supposed to only about Shinkaruk, I guess the question is then where is the team now? Less goals, more against, fewer points just about all the prospects on the team, not much left in the minors, no depth, only two out of 21 potential draft picks playing in the NHL now that Boeser is here.

So if we kept Shink, we would be in a playoff spot right?

On 2017-03-26 at 7:52 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Hey, I admit Grandlund is a winner, but after Forsling was dealt for a bag of pucks and two drafts are behind every other team and Vey, Etem and many over paid contracts, he is bound to get ONE right every now and then, even a broken clock is right twice a day. We still wait on how much he is paying Gudbranson yet, what do you think 4 mil a season?

That is the thing one MUST do if he is not sure of the talent, gets lots and hope one or two stick, 21 potential draft picks, ONE on the team, how many players or picks traded to get 2 half decent guys?

On 2017-03-26 at 1:25 PM, oldnews said:

but now you'll try to change your target.

good minus hunting.  had to plus you for the effort.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Apart that this thread is supposed to only about Shinkaruk

;)

If it's only about Shinkaruk, your admission above was all that was necessary.  Instead, you try to sidestep and cherry pick other deals you don't like.

It's great entertainment value, but impossible to take seriously.

Sutter, Gudbranson and Sbisa for Kesler, 2nd, a few mid round spots traded down in the end - I'll take that progression all over again.

Baertschi - yeah, most of us have no problem with that deal.

Granlund - by your admission, a no-brainer in hindsight.

Burrows for Dahlen - time is now to register a reputation hanging on it.

Or Hansen for Goldobin, pick - got objectons?

Really, to cherry pick a Vey deal, or AHLer for AHLer (ie Etem for Jensen) about says it all.

23 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Impact? What is defined as "impact" to you?

Hutton is a Gillis guy. Stecher always wanted to be here, The rest are too new to call winners by anyone.

So the Shinkark deal is his very best yet. So far. Start the award ceremony.

You might want to throw the Forsling deal in there as well.

When you quote four people for a counter response, it is obvious that only your opinion matters to you. Perhaps an open mind is of most importance.

On 3/26/2017 at 1:02 PM, WHL rocks said:

I liked this trade from the day it was made, There weren't many of us on here who were in the Granlund camp at that time. But I never liked Shink as a player, he was always too small and too weak to be an NHLer for me, and I'm happy JB saw him the same way and got a very good player in return. 

Granny will only get better. He's just coming out of his shell. Still very young. I can see him with 30g next year. And there aren't many of those in the NHL now days. 

There aren't many 20 goal scorers in the NHL these days let alone 25 or 30. Times have changed dramatically. When this deal first got announced I was admittedly unsure about what would happen because I had no knowledge whatsoever about Granlund, but I decided to trust the JB knew how to do his job. Lo and behold it looks like he does unlike most of the CDC that will rip the man over losing a 2nd round pick for a player that played more then most 2nd round picks do :rolleyes: Benning deserves way more credit then he gets on this board. We'd be at least 2-3 years behind on our rebuild if he wasn't GM.

Archived