The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why would YOU bother to follow this team for the balance of the year?

sam drucker

There's a lot of folks who bought their tickets , approx. 12 months ago. They no longer have a option.  To compound this discomfort for the season ticket holders there are "family Packs" sold way below what they paid for their tickets & include  free popcorn and movie passes. Canuck marketing is a joke and they stick it to the very customers that have supportred them often for a long time

I will watch the games I find most interesting.  I don't think I'm going to sit down and watch all the games for the rest of the season though.  I will probably watch part of thurs game vs san jose I kinda wanna see how our guys play vs them.  But unless its 2 teams I like watching I'll probably just listen too it on the radio or watch highlights.  I would of been a lot more into it if we sold parts at the deadline and we saw more youth.  

3 hours ago, sam drucker said:

Everyone must have some kind of thought after the Deadline fiasco, and the next 20 games that will prove ZERO for this club moving forward.

The only way I am watching is if the vets on this team sit.  Let the new regime of (cough) young (cough) talent take the reigns and hope for a top 5 pick.

No need to let the deadwood play, see Burrows and the Sedin's, backlash expected, but really why? only a 2 year, closing,  window for those

fellas. 

Play Miller only on the 2nd night of BTB's.

I would also include Dorsett, Vrbata, Vey is on thin ice, as well as half of the D corps

Wish for the NFL style of just cut 'em, see Burrows.

Fans like you are the problem. If you can't support a team when its down and aren't interested in the rebuild why do you even bother to be a Canucks fan? Go buy a Blackhawks jersey and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

True enough. Since you have been here since the beginning as well I would suggest that the Canucks have never done a true rebuild and it looks like we are getting one now. I cannot think of any time that is comparable.

My only concern is keeping my marbles long enough to appreciate the end result. If they win a CUP I can move on up with a smile!

Plenty of years of misery in the good old Canucklehead days lol

You're right as well, I can't remember a time quite like this either, but then there was no salary cap in those bad times. 

Oh well, let's stay positive and give Benning and Linden a good chance at building the best team ever. Hopefully Bettman retires by then. :-D

2 hours ago, stawns said:

because I've been a fan for over 40 years and because I like the look of this team now and the style they play.

You see the light as well, Benning isn't done by any means. 

I would watch the Canucks games as long as they ice a youth line-up with Gaunce playing and hope that they will call-up Pedan for a couple of games or any other Utica players call-up then I'd watch.  I am here to support the Canucks through thick and thin.   I wouldn't want to watch if the Canucks management/coaches continue to ice a veteran-laden line-up by sitting McCann/Virtenan in favor of their veterans.  I wouldn't mind having Markstrom starting at 2:1 ratio when it's 10 games remaining with Miller starting in the final game of the year.   It will be a game by game basis on the projected starting line-up then I will make a decision whether to watch the game or not.   Even if Canucks ice a veteran-laden line-up on the final game of the season, I will watch the game regardless as I am very curious about McDavid's development at the end of the season.

Because some of us are real fans and see the positive of transitioning from a contender into a rebuild.

I love watching the NEW speed, youth and enthusiasm.

And for all of those Benning bashers, how about that 2nd rounder for Baertschi?

He looks tremendous.  It's not just what he's doing with the puck but watch his pursuit and play away from the puck.  

This fan will still watch every single game.

I've missed half the games this year because of work and general lack of interest. If I'm out, im in no real rush to get home and put sports net or CBC on.

This year's edition of this hockey club has been 1 good game for every 20 really boring ones. That's not going to keep me tuned in.

Those of you all up on your high horse "I never miss a game, I'm a real fan" get over yourselves

3 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I've missed half the games this year because of work and general lack of interest. If I'm out, im in no real rush to get home and put sports net or CBC on.

This year's edition of this hockey club has been 1 good game for every 20 really boring ones. That's not going to keep me tuned in.

Those of you all up on your high horse "I never miss a game, I'm a real fan" get over yourselves

What's to get over? They like hockey, they watch hockey.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

OP, I know you don't post here a lot despite joining back in 2007, but you should try and search if not at least have a look at the recent topics.

From yesterday:

Just wondering - are you a moderator here? Or are you auditioning to be one?  Ive noticed you telling a lot of people what to do in these forums.   That leads me to conclude that you either think the moderators cant do their job (and hence you need to be the self imposed forum police), or  you think you are a forum representative who speaks in lieu of the administration? 

You did the same thing the other day.  You ragged on a guy (in a condescending manner as if you are actually important) for posting an article, and for not quoting it internally, then you lectured him on starting a thread - a thread that dozens of members participated in (just like they are participating in this one).    

12 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

But that's the thing Twilight. If you're watching it for entertainment value it's not the same thing as being a die-hard fan. A die-hard sticks with his team through good times and bad times, because it is their team.

Even when the entertainment value isn't there, we can enjoy the development of young players like Horvat, Virtanen and McCann. We can still marvel at the symbiosis of Hank and Dan, even if it happens in a loss.

If you're in it for entertainment and the only thing that entertains you is a win, then you're probably watching the wrong sport.

I'm going to follow the team and not have an opinion about any hockey decisions. I will think that blind faith is the only way to be a real fan. If you don't have a job with an NHL team, you are not qualified to comment on anything. A better way to spend your time is witch hunting anyone who opposes the very very clear direction that this team is heading. I will believe in our extremely experienced front of house and perfectly rational, hands off approach that ownership implements.

38 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

so we'll mark you down as not interested anymore...fair enough....

I've followed the team since day 1 and am not going to stop now just because they are on a low cycle (of which there have been many). Frankly, these times make the good seasons that much more enjoyable and rewarding (watching the team progress and build to something).

Well, on one level, I'm eager to see more young guys come up and get a shot. Guys like Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi, Etem, Granlund, and, yes, even Vey have been exciting to watch in recent days/weeks. Gives me hope despite the recent TDL.

On another, we'll be seeing some guys in a Canucks uniform for the final time. Some deservedly so but this may be the last time we see Burrows and others. Why not celebrate that or at least their time here?

On another level, since my wife loves the Canucks, I only have 20 more times to use the season as a justifiable excuse, "Hey, there's a Canucks game tonight, let's go have a couple beers and watch the game."

Archived