The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things you thought when you were a kid

Where's Wellwood

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I used to think that when people died in movies they died in real life

I thought I was the only one who had this. It was when I watched Jaws aged 7 and I wasn't crying, but was mesmerized - I was more fascinated about why people would willingly give up their lives, just to be in a film. That took some explaining from my mother.

I also can't explain the difference between sweet & sour, and sweet and savory. How can something be sweet, but also not sweet? That gets my head in a spin.

Just now, Captain Woodget said:

I thought I was the only one who had this. It was when I watched Jaws aged 7 and I wasn't crying, but was mesmerized - I was more fascinated about why people would willingly give up their lives, just to be in a film. That took some explaining from my mother.

It also fueled my love of Star Wars

Sort of off-topic, but hopefully worth sharing...

“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put thngs back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Stryrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first workd you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.” 
 Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

A thread for revealing things you thought when you were a kid be they dumb, impressive, or non-nonsensical.

When fast food places ask you if you want your order 'for here or to go' I thought one of the options cost more than the other.

When TV shows say 'closed captioning brought to you in part by...' I always thought it said 'closed captioning broughtued in part by...' 

I thought that to film the first Transformers movie, they actually built full scale transformers and moved them around.

Anyone else?

This shows just how young you are, grasshopper...

THIS is the first Transformers movie, and it's better in every way than anything Michael Bay has ever done.transformers.jpg?1389364164

When I was a kid, I thought that cheques were an unlimited supply of money. I would ask for my mom to buy stuff (toys & comics & video games mostly), and when  she claimed to not have enough money I'd be baffled..."Just write a cheque!! You do it all the time!!"

ME GRIMLOCK NO BOZO, ME KING!!

When I was young....we used to have to get up an hour before we went to sleep to do chores.

:lol:

When I was young, I never would have guessed that 40 years after cheering for the same team they would still not have a championship.

When I was young, I fully expected that mankind would have interstellar travel and that I could take a vacation in space when I got older.

That society was just.

People were successful based on hard work, being polite, sticking up for others.

We were trying to end racism, and other stupid pursuits.

Everyone had the goal of making a better world for everyone.

We'd have flying cars.

That we'd have moon bases by 2010.

I'd be married, have a small house in Whistler or Hawaii. I'd be surfing or skiing every day then going to work.

As I grew up I found, greed, and ignorance is rampant. 

All the ethics, and environmentalism in college they said was important was lip service.

Innovation, science, learning, has been replaced by stupidity, fear, and extremes of religion and politics.

People don't discuss anymore, it's all anger, 

I'd love to go back to carefree summer days, of running barefoot in the grass jumping through sprinklers.

That lying in the back yard enjoying sun and watching the clouds drift by was more fun than the internet. 

Archived