The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you date me?

JC2

2 hours ago, JC2 said:

Hello fellow canuck fans, I'm not going to state My name for obvious reasons and to be honest I don't know why I am doing this but I figure what the hell.

I'm a white guy, 24 years old and I live at home. I do not have my license, but I'm working on it, and I work at walmart as a stocker. I'm a very quiet person with basically no social life but I consider myself a nice guy. I don't smoke or do drugs and don't drink. I have a soft spot for animals and I consider myself a family guy. I'm what you would call boring. I prefer to stay indoors mostly and love watching movies and playing video games. I look for an attractive woman, by no means a supermodel but someone I can be attracted to. Someone down to earth and not looking for money, just someone who is loyal and will care for them.

Now to those who actually respond please know I'm not really asking for a date here. I'm just want to know if any women out there find a guy like me interesting in any way. Please be kind but be honest too. Thanks.

Don't want to be a dick, but my response is going to be short and very blunt.

There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, so you're all good there. However, if you want to meet someone, do exactly the opposite of what you stated above. Get out of the house, do something you wouldn't normally do. You only live once, so who knows if what you step outside and do differently will become something you might end up enjoying. But the worst that can happen is you sort of won't like it, but certainly not something you would say you regretted doing in 50 years. But you certainly will end up regretting standing pat and doing what it is you are now doing.

There's a lot that has been said in this thread that I completely agree with. Though there are a couple of things that I'd like to express, mostly what I've noticed about women:

1. Women aren't necessarily looking for a man who has tons of money/success. That being said, a lot of women who are seeking long-term relationships look for a guy who they feel can provide for them. Security (whether it's financial, emotional, or physical) is key for them.

2. As many have mentioned, being an introvert is not a bad thing. You find you energize by being alone. However, it's important to increase your circle of friends. There are lots around Vanocuver: meetup groups, activity clubs, book clubs, video game clubs... etc. I joined a few in my single days. You can find lots of women in these clubs.

3. I do not agree with people telling you to move out of your house. In today's economy, more and more individuals are living at home and it has become more widely acceptable in our society and our generation. The reality is that renting is brutally expensive, as is buying a place. I don't think women are necessarily seeking a guy who already has a place, but somebody who at least has the goal/vision of doing so eventually.

4. It's important to have a vision and goals for yourself. Women actually find this very attractive and it shows that you are a leader, motivated, and hard working. For a woman, this makes them feel secure (see point 1)

5. As shallow as it sounds, women are drawn to a man who has style - it makes him look confident (something that women are attracted to). Hair, clothing, shoes... This doesn't mean that you need to spend hundreds of dollars. I shop at H&M, Walmart, even ebay or amazon. It's a matter of finding out what's in style and finding it cheap! You don't need the name brands. Just as long as it looks nice. A girl who is seeking a guy solely for the brands he wears is not a woman you want to date.

6. Try new things out of your comfort zone. That can help you gain confidence in yourself and eventually you will start to have that aura. Women are attracted to a guy who is confident (but not chauvinistic) 

I say these things purely out of my dating years and now as a married man, though not everybody may agree (which is okay). Good luck!

4 hours ago, JC2 said:

Hello fellow canuck fans, I'm not going to state My name for obvious reasons and to be honest I don't know why I am doing this but I figure what the hell.

I'm a white guy, 24 years old and I live at home. I do not have my license, but I'm working on it, and I work at walmart as a stocker. I'm a very quiet person with basically no social life but I consider myself a nice guy. I don't smoke or do drugs and don't drink. I have a soft spot for animals and I consider myself a family guy. I'm what you would call boring. I prefer to stay indoors mostly and love watching movies and playing video games. I look for an attractive woman, by no means a supermodel but someone I can be attracted to. Someone down to earth and not looking for money, just someone who is loyal and will care for them.

Now to those who actually respond please know I'm not really asking for a date here. I'm just want to know if any women out there find a guy like me interesting in any way. Please be kind but be honest too. Thanks.

Honestly the only thing that screams "NO!" to me is the not having a licence.

It's all about the package ......uuuhm  i mean  the total package :bigblush:  

Today's metropolitan woman wants security in her relationship, financially, physically(women think about it more than we do) and emotionally. She wants adventure but not scary adventure(some do, hit me up ladies if that's the case lol)

Personal confidence in who you are and the direction you are willing to take your life are your biggest assets.

Obviously each individual will bring a different set of requirements into a relationship. Figure out the ones you can begin to improve upon and go from there.

As most have suggested breaking out of your shell and experience things beyond your comfort zone will gain you life experience. That all being said the love of your life could be around the next corner. Stay positive and believe in your abilities as a man.

Think right, eat right, act right and you will build enough confidence to talk to anyone and they will see and feel that and it will be great !

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

This has to be some kind of CDC record with the amount of civility in this thread...you must have some sort of charisma going for you to to get the responses you have from this band of cold hearted buggers..

LOL yea there were only a couple real try-hard responses but this guy got off unscathed XD

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

You're probably a really nice guy but honestly sitting at home watching movies and playing video games is not going to get you a girlfriend. Pretty small dating pool in your mom's basement I'm guessing.

And in all likelihood, the type of women you probably should be dating are also largely 'sitting in their mom's basement' (literally or figuratively).

So either you need to sit down and try and figure out where those basement dwelling girls might be on the rare occasions they DO go out, spread your wings, and go interact with them.... Or you'll likely need to explore the world of online dating and you'll probably want to stay away from the meat markets like POF, Tinder etc.

What options are you suggesting for online dating? Aren't POF, Tinder, eHarmony, etc the only options? And they all suck from what I hear.

5 hours ago, JC2 said:

I can relate to what you're saying here. Hear me out on this.

Having a license is not going to improve your odds in any dramatic way, as it is somewhat expected that you have one, especially at 24. It's not entirely fair because I do know some women aren't driving at that age, but that doesn't seem to hurt their market value.  My advice, get that license ASAP, but don't expect it to be your saving grace.

After you get that license, you have another problem - you'd need a car and/or a motorbike. Once you have it, you need to pay insurance, as well as have money to maintain them. The type of vehicle is not super important, but it shows that you have some financial means and that you're 'growing up'. As you can see, the route for dating is not cheap. It's unfair for us guys.

Personality wise, I agree with people - you seem like a nice guy; however being nice isn't enough of a reason for a woman to pick you over another person. The fact that you're reserved/reclusive makes it more difficult to meet people who are similar to you (as they too would be hiding away).

Another thing I'd like to add is that Vancouver women, like Vancouver men, are often stuck-up and/or high maintenance, especially with the younger generation. This isn't something you can control, so it's better that you look for a different pool of people. You could spend hours looking for someone online, whether that be Craigslist and Tinder, but I really think it's a waste of time and it'll hurt your confidence.

It is very difficult to meet people as you grow older, in my experience, so make sure you open up some avenues where luck can work harder for you.

- Go take some courses on something you really want to do/learn - perhaps try a new trade.

- Take speech-improvement courses - I think they're really useful (i.e. Toastmasters).

- Go to community centers and join their events that they host. Often they are free/inexpensive.

- As some people have already suggested, work/volunteer at an animal shelter. Maybe volunteer at the Vancouver Aquarium or Zoo or something, since you like animals.

- Use Meetup.com and join the various events. Maybe try your luck in the 20-30's dating group.

- Look around online to see if there's events that are being held around your area. (i.e. 5 k runs/10 k runs and helping to set up the area)

Coming from another introvert, you can still go out and meet LOTS of people, but I keep them at a distance.

6 hours ago, JC2 said:

I am going to be honest with you but you seem like a loser (please don't take it personally) as I am criticizing you from a third person objective point of view.

A) Living at home at 24 is a non issue. We live in Vancouver, one of the most expensive cities in the world. Rather than waste your money on rent, you are saving it up which is wise.

B ) Do not have drivers license. Only a minor issue here as well. Most people at 24 years of age don't have their own car, they drive your parents. If your parents let you drive their car, get a license. Allows you to go out more. But really, Vancouver is a transit friendly city, it is not an obstacle

C) Don't smoke or do drugs or drink. Depends on the type of girl you are looking for. Most girls I find like a balance between work or play. Pretty much as long as you are still fun to be around you when you're not drunk/high, then it's all good. Also saves you hangovers, money, and you are keeping your body healthy

D) Work at walmart is a big no no. Working a job a 15 year old boy can do is high unattractive. Work towards upgrading your skills. You're not going to start a family even though you claim to be a "family" man by making 10.25 or whatever minimum wage is.

E) watching movies and playing video games is ok but also try to go outside and do other things. mid 20's are the peak of your body's health and performance and you're wasting it playing video games and watching movies... common man... smarten up

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You could spend hours looking for someone online, whether that be Craigslist and Tinder, but I really think it's a waste of time and it'll hurt your confidence.

I actually found that Tinder improved my confidence greatly. Had a bad break up before summer last year, confidence was really shot and was pretty much having a rough time in general.  Got back on the horse going out more but Tinder definitely helped get back on track as well.  I could sit at home on a Wednesday night and go from wheeling zero girls to a few.  Some talks fizzled quick, some didn't. 

Met up with a few girls.  Some for real dates, some for... other things, but my confidence was as high as it had been in a while.  

Ended up entering a relationship with a girl who went to my University in my major and have been seeing her for 6 months now.  Met her on TInder.

For someone who doesn't get out much, obviously try to go and get out more and meet people.  

But sometimes you're just going to want to chill at home and play video games.  Why not try to meet people then too?

I will note that Tinder can also be really gross.  But as with most things it's really just what you make of it.

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If he lives in Vancouver proper, there's really no need for a license or a car.

Vancouver isn't Europe, bud.

In Europe, not having a car or a license does not have the same social stigma as it naturally would over in Vancouver - or the rest of Canada/US.

Archived