The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nux 0 -Jets 2 - March 22, 2016

Toni Zamboni

37 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes because the Canucks are obvioulsy one player away from being an NHL team!

Technically, the Canucks are an NHL team right now, just not a very good one.

I admit they have a lot of guys who were in the AHL this year and few a more who should be.

Just now, DeNiro said:

How do we know any of this? You're speculating on the future.

For all we know this will drive Virtanen and McCann to be even better next season. They what it takes and where they're lacking now.

As for not getting anything at the trade deadlines, we've gone over the circumstances many times. A trade deadline should not be relied on to shape the future. There's lts of other factors that will go into that rather than a couple extra 2nd round picks.

This is our worst team EVER for goal scoring.  The Twins are openly frustrated.  Young players are behaving unprofessionally.  We have rookies messing up, at all levels, including players, coaches, and management.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

This is our worst team EVER for goal scoring.  The Twins are openly frustrated.  Young players are behaving unprofessionally.  We have rookies messing up, at all levels, including players, coaches, and management.  

Way to be overly dramatic.

We're having the season we should have had in 2013-14. Last season this team was artificially propped up by some UFA signings and some players having career years.

Fans are naive if they think everything was fixed and we were suddenly a better team again. We were always going to be a bottom placed team, it was inevitable. That's what happens when you let your team get older without restocking the cupboards with youth for 10 years. I'm actually surprised that people are surprised we're bad.

To all the morons blaming management: 

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-march-19-2016/

1. Edmonton (1st) and the Vancouver Canucks (2nd) face the greatest cumulative impact of injured forwards or defensemen by the IIT-skater metric. The Colorado Avalanche and LA Kings have faced the least impact due to injuries.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We're having the season we should have had in 2013-14. Last season this team was artificially propped up by some UFA signings and some players having career years.

Fans are naive if they think everything was fixed and we were suddenly a better team again. We were always going to be a bottom placed team, it was inevitable. That's what happens when you let your team get older without restocking the cupboards with youth for 10 years. I'm actually surprised that people are surprised we're bad.

I totally agree.. It's amazing to me to read pgt  after pgt of comments talking about how bad this all is and how this team should be doing so much better.. based on what?

Its like people just expect that because we had a strong team for a run of years it should just always be this way.

Frankly I'm happy they are where they are now because change is absolutely necessary where in the past we made more questionable moves in the name of keeping the club "competitive". Now that this idea has been taken away from the minds of management and ownership,  maybe they will see the light and take the time and steps needed to build this team back up one piece at a time. 

It wl start at the draft and go from there. Until then though people need to pull up their panties and suck it up.

To those that are a bit discouraged by Pedan's recent performance....

I wouldn't stress about Pedan being a bust just yet. The way he is playing now is very similar to the way he was playing when he first arrived at Utica. Looked like a player that is experiencing growing pains when it comes to adjusting to the AHL. Pedan eventually adjusted and fitted in just beautifully. You have to understand that Pedan is a very similar player to a Bieksa that also has occasional brainfarts but makes due with his physicality and tools.

Give Pedan more time to grow into the NHL. He has plenty of upside just because of his size and his skating ability. If he busts he becomes Sbisa, if he booms he becomes Bieksa. Give him time and don't give up on him just yet.

19 minutes ago, lolwut? said:

I totally agree.. It's amazing to me to read pgt  after pgt of comments talking about how bad this all is and how this team should be doing so much better.. based on what?

Its like people just expect that because we had a strong team for a run of years it should just always be this way.

Frankly I'm happy they are where they are now because change is absolutely necessary where in the past we made more questionable moves in the name of keeping the club "competitive". Now that this idea has been taken away from the minds of management and ownership,  maybe they will see the light and take the time and steps needed to build this team back up one piece at a time. 

It wl start at the draft and go from there. Until then though people need to pull up their panties and suck it up.

You can tell newer fans from older ones by how people are reacting to this.

Older fans are willing to be patient because they know it takes time to build a winner. I think alot of these fans want to see it done the right way without shortcuts.

Newer fans want results immediately as if we can just draft and sign superstars every year and plunk them into the lineup. And every time something doesn't go well everyone should be fired immediately and we should start again.

There's two dates that Benning earns his pay check in my mind, June 24th and July 1st. All this stuff in between is just minor things to belly ache about.

4 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I'm not even sure if Etem gets a qualifying offer at this point. Seems like almost every game, he skates around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

unfortunately. I'd have to agree. Etem doesn't seem to have very good hockey sense. I still hope he can turn it around as he's still young. but doesn't seem very promising. curious to see if he can step things up next season. but if not. maybe time to cut ties with him and allow another young player to come and take his spot. Grenier perhaps? 

5 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Anybody else concerned with what they see from Jake lately?  Cant make simple passes, cant receive break out passes, will have the occasional good move, likes to shoot from outside the face off circle too much.  Theres lots of work to do. Doesnt help him that the twitcher keeps putting him on different lines.

Did he shake that beebur-guy's paw? Prob explains it...

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Older fans are willing to be patient because they know it takes time to build a winner. I think alot of these fans want to see it done the right way without shortcuts.

Newer fans want results immediately as if we can just draft and sign superstars every year and plunk them into the lineup. And every time something doesn't go well everyone should be fired immediately and we should start again.

There's two dates that Benning earns his pay check in my mind, June 24th and July 1st. All this stuff in between is just minor things to belly ache about.

Sucks that I can only give 24 rep a day

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Interesting way to spin things. I thought that we wanted to see a rebuild. Never has the team brought in so many new faces in a single season. If you don't have the stomach for this, that's your business. Personally I'm okay with it.

Lot's of people whine about this guy or that guy not getting a chance. Well, I think just about everyone got a chance this year.

There is a revolution of sorts happening with this team. You can't have a revolution without breaking a few dishes.

Let's not rush to judgment and call for everyone's heads just yet.

This was a team full of old buggers and it's going to take some time to right the ship.

Sheesh, I glad your not my boss!

No +'s left, but true.

Season fits into the "careful watcha' wish for" category...

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tanking is seriously over-rated.

Ending the season in last place is SERIOUSLY over-rated.

Look at the math folks... we only have a 20% chance of getting #1.

Odds are 1 in 5....

If we lose, then to get #2 pick, we have slightly better than 20%... again, 1 in 5.

If we lose, then to get #3 pick, we have 23% chance... almost 1 in 4... last chance for a higher than 4th place pick... and likely we'll lose and get the 4th place.

So what's the point?

Contrast that with finishing a little higher, some more wins... and a lot better atmosphere in the dressing room going into the next season... and not much worse chance of winning a pick.

Your reasoning is flawed.

4 hours ago, WTG said:

To those that are a bit discouraged by Pedan's recent performance....

I wouldn't stress about Pedan being a bust just yet. The way he is playing now is very similar to the way he was playing when he first arrived at Utica. Looked like a player that is experiencing growing pains when it comes to adjusting to the AHL. Pedan eventually adjusted and fitted in just beautifully. You have to understand that Pedan is a very similar player to a Bieksa that also has occasional brainfarts but makes due with his physicality and tools.

Give Pedan more time to grow into the NHL. He has plenty of upside just because of his size and his skating ability. If he busts he becomes Sbisa, if he booms he becomes Bieksa. Give him time and don't give up on him just yet.

Yeah, I thought he had a couple of bad shifts last night, one of which led to a goal, but was solid otherwise.  He does look a bit tentative out there, which can easily be taken for lazy play.  Decision-making and confidence seem like the main issues for him right now.  If he's too afraid of making a mistake, he's not going to assert himself the way he can.  It's not ideal that he's getting this chance with the team is such disarray, but it is what it is. 

While im secretly hoping for losses, this team is brutal to watch right now.  

I also dont feel McCann is all that and a bag of chips.  I Havent for a long while.  The kid has a hard time taking passes, let alone make something happen.  The only moments he has is on the PP, but even those are few and far between.  I guess I dont see what others see when they post their future lineups with him at 1C.  Tradeable if we land another F at the draft imo.

Scoring slumps make a team look bad. Too much individuality, thinking too much, squeezing the stick too hard. The effort was there for the most part. The luck wasn't and neither was the normal  game flow. Looked like the first pre-season game where most of the rookies are playing.   

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

How do we know any of this? You're speculating on the future.

For all we know this will drive Virtanen and McCann to be even better next season. They know what it takes and where they're lacking now.

As for not getting anything at the trade deadlines, we've gone over the circumstances many times. A trade deadline should not be relied on to shape the future. There's lots of other factors that will go into that rather than a couple extra 2nd round picks.

Duncan Keith, Patrice Bergeron were second round picks.  A lot of very good D come from round two.  McCann and (especially) Virtanen appear more entitled than focused on improving.  Selfies posted online partying with Beiber?  That's not doing what it takes to be you best.  That's entitlement.  I'm finding myself thinking 5th Line is a lot more correct about whom we should have drafted in that sixth spot.  

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You are absolutely correct.  I believe TL and JB screwed up trying to retool, and propped up the team with stupid UFA signings.  Plus the trades to get a bunch of 22-27 year olds.  Wrong!  We should have been rebuilding from day one, by collecting draft picks, NOT GIVING THEM AWAY!  

HOW CAN YOU THINK TL AND JB ARE THE RIGHT PEOPLE FOR A REBUILD, with the evidence of their work so far?  

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

All true. Some of us have seen this many times before, the only difference was back then there wasn't a catchy name to it like 'rebuild'. Back then you were just a bad team and the other teams gave you no quarter. That last part hasn't changed.

Archived