The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

That'd be nice, but it's not.

Columbus didn't have a good year.  I don't think it would be to their benefit to give us the pick at this time. 

Some of the names bantered around here have no chance of falling to the 2nd round.  But since we're doing so, my picks if they were available would be:
Benson
Tufte
Bastain
Niemelainen

If there is one thing most of us can agree on, it's Benning's ability to draft.  I'm sure whoever he selects will be an NHL player at some point.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Columbus didn't have a good year.  I don't think it would be to their benefit to give us the pick at this time. 

Some of the names bantered around here have no chance of falling to the 2nd round.  But since we're doing so, my picks if they were available would be:
Benson
Tufte
Bastain
Niemelainen

DAy and Girard.  D with rounds 2 and 3?

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Benson
Tufte
Bastain
Niemelainen

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

wouldn't gamble Sean Day with second round pick. I'd try to find a player that's a little more low risk in the second round. Day might drop further because of all the news surrounding him (lack of motivation etc etc). might be worth a pick in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th round. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

wouldn't gamble Sean Day with second round pick. I'd try to find a player that's a little more low risk in the second round. Day might drop further because of all the news surrounding him (lack of motivation etc etc). might be worth a pick in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th round. 

Wow!  Wasn't he on our WJC team this Christmas, and Chychrun got cut?  The guy has fallen a lot.  Could he be a steal though?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Wasn't he on our WJC team this Christmas, and Chychrun got cut?  The guy has fallen a lot.  Could he be a steal though?  

could be potentially. but he's a high risk player at this point. there are probably better selections in the second round. the chances of a player in the second round making it to th NHL is pretty low. Day's chances with all the recent news surrounding him doesn't make it likely that he will be selected in the second round of the draft. he would be lucky if he did hear his name in the second round. who knows. could happen. but I think what is more likely to happen is for him to be drafted in the third or fourth round. and if he does find another gear internally that will drive him to work even harder - he could just very well be a steal. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

could be potentially. but he's a high risk player at this point. there are probably better selections in the second round. the chances of a player in the second round making it to th NHL is pretty low. Day's chances with all the recent news surrounding him doesn't make it likely that he will be selected in the second round of the draft. he would be lucky if he did hear his name in the second round. who knows. could happen. but I think what is more likely to happen is for him to be drafted in the third or fourth round. and if he does find another gear internally that will drive him to work even harder - he could just very well be a steal. 

For him to make it to the OHL at 15, and play for Canada on more than one occasion, there must be some inner drive.  I had not heard he had 'issues' though.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't.  You guys just discussed Day, and Girard is a tiny specimen of a player.  We already have a few d prospects without ideal size - I don't think we'd want to add another - despite the guy's undeniable skill.  If he was a forward it might make more sense, but not a d-man, who I don't think will be able to push big NHL players off the puck - especially in front of the net. 

I based my own list on players I felt showed recent improvement and had good skill, but largely also players that I felt would help increase our overall size.  While the league is certainly moving in a direction where size is less important, it will always play a factor.... especially come playoff time and guys are putting themselves on the line.  I have no doubt if we were a bit bigger we would have won the Boston series.

Now with all that said, look at a player like Gaudreau or Panarin.  (Who are forwards, of course.)  But still, size isn't everything.  I keep telling myself that.

On April 14, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Warhippy said:

Kane has

Toews

Hossa

Keith

Seabrook

BOWMANS

Not to mention one of the best supporting casts in all of hockey over the last 7 years

Gaudreau has...Monahan?  And again, cups are a TEAM effort, so the Hawks have 3 cups, not just Kane.  Give Gaudreau 7 years and a Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Ladd, Byfuglien etc and management like the Bowmans and get back to us.

Stride for stride, skill for skill Gaudreau is very Kane like.

he might have skill but hes missing 3 cups and  a art ross where hes 16 points in front of everyone  

9 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

lol  regardless do you think johnny will have 3 cups and a art ross before hes 27 good probability he wont  

lol

give him a toews hossa perrenial norris candidates (yes two of them) multiple selke nominee centers near vezina calibre goaltending and two bowmans and who knows...

You sit and make that stupid comparison yet NEVER consider the team around him.

Let's instead use...Stamkos.  Or maybe Nash.  Oh how about Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Mackinnon

Cup wins are NOT based on 1 person, see Gretzky for verification...you really degrade any argument you have when you make these statements

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

lol

give him a toews hossa perrenial norris candidates (yes two of them) multiple selke nominee centers near vezina calibre goaltending and two bowmans and who knows...

You sit and make that stupid comparison yet NEVER consider the team around him.

Let's instead use...Stamkos.  Or maybe Nash.  Oh how about Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Mackinnon

Cup wins are NOT based on 1 person, see Gretzky for verification...you really degrade any argument you have when you make these statements

not really because at end of day  johnny is not kane  he wont get a art ross either 

8 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

not really because at end of day  johnny is not kane  he wont get a art ross either 

lol

from the guy who had Baertschi as a 4th line winger, the sedins as 3rd line players and Sutter as a 1st line center.  Predicting the future of a barely 22 year old near ppg player who's team is in the middle of a rebuild and might net him his career linemate this or next draft 

My lucky lotto numbers this week would be???

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, canuktravella said:

johnny gaudreau might put up points but wait til flames make playoffs next time hes a tryamkin hit away from retirement  il pass on smurfs  no more drafting ronnings or  soft perimeter players like raymond or shroeder  give me a lindros or a ovi or a benn  100 percent of time

When have the Canucks ever had the chance to draft a Lindros or an Ovechkin? Those are first overall picks. I guess that you are "trying" to suggest that the Canucks go after players with size and skill. Just a horrible example by using 2 first overall picks that are both likely Hall of Famers.

On 4/9/2016 at 6:31 AM, Gooseberries said:

Another scenario that's only been touched on is the bean rumors. It's not secret that Benning likes bean. What are the odds that Benning tries to trade something like 33rd+Edler to someone like ottawa for a chance at MR. Bean?

Too much? 

Doubt it - at the farewell presser, JB called Edler "our best defenseman" ..... that's a vote of confidence if ever I heard one.

Archived