The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's a changing landscape, especially with the higher picks.  Hutton had no real leverage.  These top picks, who are looking to be elite prospects have ALL THE LEVERAGE.  Why would Demko not play the next season in college?  It's either develop another year in college, or develop a year in Utica.  There is ZERO advantage going to Utica.  Look at his reward though staying in school for one more year.  He can PICK ANY TEAM.  Alf firmly believes Demko is gone.  We should just forget about him.  We should strike his name from CDC.  

Another name comes to mind...

38 minutes ago, Honeydew said:

There was talks that Day's game dropped completely, not the same player that was granted Exceptional status. 

36 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

Day will be gone in the first 45 picks.  If you watch him and forget the accepotional status he was granted you are left with a very very good defenceman.

He is not the player that was granted exceptional status that is for sure, he isn't bad however a number of other eligible dman have improved and played better than him this past year and the past 2.  I've seen him play once and though he is good he just seemed to be lacking a bit of something.... motivation? compete? desire? something... I wonder if he goes the way of Ryan Pilon and drops completely?  I don't think he goes first 2 rounds, there are dman that though may lack some of his skill and size, have more of the motivation, fire, desire, " je ne sai quoi" that Day seems to lack at this time. That's why I think he goes in the 3rd round

Just now, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

He is not the player that was granted exceptional status that is for sure, he isn't bad however a number of other eligible dman have improved and played better than him this past year and the past 2.  I've seen him play once and though he is good he just seemed to be lacking a bit of something.... motivation? compete? desire? something... I wonder if he goes the way of Ryan Pilon and drops completely?  I don't think he goes first 2 rounds, there are dman that though may lack some of his skill and size, have more of the motivation, fire, desire, " je ne sai quoi" that Day seems to lack at this time. That's why I think he goes in the 3rd round

Yeah something was also telling me he lacked the motivation to continue playing. Seems like his passion isn't in it anymore.

Day is a number 1 defenceman for his team in his draft year and has consistently been the best player on the ice shutting down top players the last few months of the year. He's a beast of a teenager and has the potential skill set outside your prototypical shut down defenceman. Watch him play.... 

1 minute ago, Honeydew said:

Yeah something was also telling me he lacked the motivation to continue playing. Seems like his passion isn't in it anymore.

Maybe getting that exceptional status, put extra pressure on him and not having that early success created some doubts which led to lack of passion/motivation.  What ever it is hopefully the right team drafts him and helps him put it all together and has a successful career

I think if 33 is the pick and we got one of the big three I think Benning would pass on Dahlen and Benson who are the two I want. Defence that could be available at 33 are Stanely, Green, Fabbro and Johansen. Here's what I'm hoping for 1rst round Auston Matthews, 2nd round Jonathan Dahlen, 3rd round Adam Fox, 4th round Max Lajoie. Would be great if Benning could add another 2nd and get Green or Johansen as well.

4 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Maybe getting that exceptional status, put extra pressure on him and not having that early success created some doubts which led to lack of passion/motivation.  What ever it is hopefully the right team drafts him and helps him put it all together and has a successful career

I read somewhere where that his brother was thrown in prison, which took a huge toll on him. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ohl-steelheads-exceptional-player-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf hears Tyler Benson's name bantered about at this spot.  What do you think of him?

This pick has alot to do with the lottery. 

If we win top 3 or draft a forward we NEED a defenseman here. If we fall 3 spots and take 1 of the top 3 defensman I say take bpa  (possibly Benson )

Another scenario that's only been touched on is the bean rumors. It's not secret that Benning likes bean. What are the odds that Benning tries to trade something like 33rd+Edler to someone like ottawa for a chance at MR. Bean?

Too much? 

Just read the article. Seems like a project player which would be a third round pick to me or a late second. Also although he says the right things at the end of the article his tone almost implies that he is who he is and he can't help that. Making excuses for himself? Possibly not fully motivated

9 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

This pick has alot to do with the lottery. 

If we win top 3 or draft a forward we NEED a defenseman here. If we fall 3 spots and take 1 of the top 3 defensman I say take bpa  (possibly Benson )

Another scenario that's only been touched on is the bean rumors. It's not secret that Benning likes bean. What are the odds that Benning tries to trade something like 33rd+Edler to someone like ottawa for a chance at MR. Bean?

Too much? 

I dont see any way the Canucks trade Edler.  He doesnt want to go, and we have no offence from the D as it is, you dont trade your best potential point producer off the blueline.

Tyler Benson would be a sneaky good pick if he fell.  My guess is that if he hadnt struggled with injury this year, hed be a top 20 pick.  Hes a very well rounded winger, good skater, excellent work ethic and leadership traits, goes to the hard areas... Stylistic to Ladd/Landeskog.  Dont see him as a top line prospect, but middle 6 is a fairly safe bet.  

You've got to go with Lucas Johansen. As well, he plays in Kelowna, which they're great in developping d-man. And he's also BC born, Ryan Johansen's brother too.

great d-man.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's a changing landscape, especially with the higher picks.  Hutton had no real leverage.  These top picks, who are looking to be elite prospects have ALL THE LEVERAGE.  Why would Demko not play the next season in college?  It's either develop another year in college, or develop a year in Utica.  There is ZERO advantage going to Utica.  Look at his reward though staying in school for one more year.  He can PICK ANY TEAM.  Alf firmly believes Demko is gone.  We should just forget about him.  We should strike his name from CDC.  

Lol 

Oh and Fabbro is a BC guy so if we drafted him, he would sign for sure.

This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard among Canuck fans, and there's a lot of them...

Forwards: Benson, Steel, Laberge, Katchouk, Howden, Grundstrom, Bastian, Bitten, Asplund, Abramov

Defenseman: Johansen, Hajek, Stanley, Green, Neimelainen, Clague, Cholowski,

Those guys could all be taken from 25-45 with no real cause for unrest.

I see there is a lot of homerism in this thread :P

It really depends on that 1st round pick if they go after a defensemen or a forward. Quite a few players that I really like that are potentially available there:

Jonathan Dahlén - plus he's from my hometown like Alex Edler, NHL bloodlines

Dante Fabbro - If he drops

Charlie McAvoy - If he drops

Markus Niemeläinen* - Very underrated in my mind 6'6" 205lbs, he's a late birthday as well

*A complete all-around defenceman that makes the game look easy. Natural size and strength compliment his smooth stride. Very mobile skater who moves up and down the ice quickly, with acute recognition of puck and body position. His maturity and poise is actualized in his high-percentage decision-making, with and without the puck, as well as his proactive stick and body play. Very stable defensively and always takes his lane, but is quick to rush the puck up the ice as he recognizes and accounts for how much time his team is spending in their own end. All-in-all, a quick-thinking defenceman that, honestly lacking nothing, has the potential to develop into a reliable two-way defenceman. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) 

I'm probably being too optimistic seeing as Dahlen, Fabbro, and McAvoy will probably have already been drafted but there's always a chance. Dahlen is filthy good, he supports the correct soccer team in Sweden as well so he's a beauty in my mind haha. 

15 hours ago, Derp... said:

Forwards: Benson, Steel, Laberge, Katchouk, Howden, Grundstrom, Bastian, Bitten, Asplund, Abramov

Defenseman: Johansen, Hajek, Stanley, Green, Neimelainen, Clague, Cholowski,

Those guys could all be taken from 25-45 with no real cause for unrest.

Id really like Green/Clague/Hajek with our second would be great

Archived