The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Is there a chance Logan Stanley could still be around at 33..big tough guy on D.

Yes. But we would be very wise to stay away from him. Very few defenders with his profile make it. 

If Steel is available I would be interested in him. I always like watching him play. He is a bit of a risk, but he has amazing skill and could be a home-run player if he can pull it all together - particularly he needs to get stronger and play better defense.

9 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Yes. But we would be very wise to stay away from him. Very few defenders with his profile make it. 

If Steel is available I would be interested in him. I always like watching him play. He is a bit of a risk, but he has amazing skill and could be a home-run player if he can pull it all together - particularly he needs to get stronger and play better defense.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Is there a chance Logan Stanley could still be around at 33..big tough guy on D.

GIRARD. 

You know Alf is correct.  :lol:

no way benning picks brincat hes 5'7 160 pounds no thanks i want team giant not smurfs, no thanks to ronning as well. 

my wish list for draft is first round puljujarvi, second round lucas johansen, third round sean day

elite 17 yr old right winger

big two way rocket dman with nhl genetics 

sean day could end up being elite  

fingers crossed 

plus olson, subban, pedan, sauntner, tryamkin,  our dcorp looks much better than when gillis left 

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

no way benning picks brincat hes 5'7 160 pounds no thanks i want team giant not smurfs, no thanks to ronning as well. 

my wish list for draft is first round puljujarvi, second round lucas johansen, third round sean day

fingers crossed 

plus olson, subban, pedan, sauntner, tryamkin,  our dcorp looks much better than when gillis left 

We have room for DeBrincat if he's available at 33... he's a top 10 in terms of ability, just very undersized.

two straight 50 goal seasons in the OHL? We're taking a big boy in the first round, if DeBrincat is available at 33 I'd take a chance for sure. Otherwise, a defenceman, of course.

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

fingers crossed 

Tell that to Patick Kane lite, I mean Johhny Gaudreau and Calgary

3 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Tell that to Patick Kane lite, I mean Johhny Gaudreau and Calgary

Patrick Kane - 5'11"

Johnny Gaudreau - 5'9"

Martin St. Louis - 5'8"

Alex Debrincat - 5'7"
Theoren Fleury - 5'6"

(eliteprospects.com)

Debrincat is really pushing it in terms of his height.. like really pushing it. Plus, he hasn't shown much development this year compared to last year, even though his point totals are nothing but impressive. I'd stay clear from him, and I think Benning will too especially considering he just moved out Shinkaruk who could be considered on the smaller side at 5'11". Hunter had 49 goals in his rookie season in the W. 

On 4/11/2016 at 10:03 AM, junglesniper said:

I never said it was a bad trade(s).

I just find it ironic, sometimes, that JB always preaches drafting and keeping picks and then in every trade throw in a 4th-5th or 6th. I think in almost every trade, except for Granlund, he's given up a pick. Those late rounders add up.

People on these boards overvalue draft picks way too much, especially late round picks who will likely never pan out to anything. Yes, you can argue that it's possible to find gems like Benn, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Datsyuk but those are a handful compared to the hundreds that never make it. IMO Players who've already proven they can play in the NHL > late round draft picks. 

18 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

People on these boards overvalue draft picks way too much, especially late round picks who will likely never pan out to anything. Yes, you can argue that it's possible to find gems like Benn, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Datsyuk but those are a handful compared to the hundreds that never make it. IMO Players who've already proven they can play in the NHL > late round draft picks. 

Agreed, its almost equivalent to paychecks > lottery tickets

On 09/04/2016 at 2:10 AM, brbetts542 said:

If he's available anywhere in the 2Nd round I would want day.  Especially if we take a forward in the 1St.

I'm guessing he will be gone before then unfortunately. 

Ill be disappointed if we didnt take Day if he was still availiable. His potential is sky high. This bad year for him could be a blessing for us.

Dante Fabbro seems pretty intriguing to me. If not then Lucas Johansen. If Benning can do one thing right it's drafting. With a high 2nd it's almost the equivalent of having a mid to late first rounder with the kind of players Benning gets. I'm trusting his choice for whatever player he picks (except for maybe debrincat - STAY AWAY). 

As for Day, he's a huge question mark and I don't think we take a flyer on him with our 2nd but I wouldn't be shocked if Winnipeg does. He seems like a player who just needs a little bit of extra attention and care. With Heisinger's reputation and all that he did for Rypien, I wouldn't be surprised if they take him in the second round and develop him into the elite Dman he can become. We could use someone like Heisinger here to be honest. I suppose Stan Smyl comes close to that tho.

Just now, meh_wassup said:

Dante Fabbro seems pretty intriguing to me. If not then Lucas Johansen. If Benning can do one thing right it's drafting. With a high 2nd it's almost the equivalent of having a mid to late first rounder with the kind of players Benning gets. I'm trusting his choice for whatever player he picks (except for maybe debrincat - STAY AWAY). 

As for Day, he's a huge question mark and I don't think we take a flyer on him with our 2nd but I wouldn't be shocked if Winnipeg does. He seems like a player who just needs a little bit of extra attention and care. With Heisinger's reputation and all that he did for Rypien, I wouldn't be surprised if they take him in the second round and develop him into the elite Dman he can become. We could use someone like Heisinger here to be honest. I suppose Stan Smyl comes close to that tho.

I'm with you on Debrincat.  The guy is small and soft.  Our local Giant's player - Ronning - is a far better choice if going for a little feller.  And he could be had in the third or even fourth round.

Archived