The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

17 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I see there is a lot of homerism in this thread :P

It really depends on that 1st round pick if they go after a defensemen or a forward. Quite a few players that I really like that are potentially available there:

Jonathan Dahlén - plus he's from my hometown like Alex Edler, NHL bloodlines

Dante Fabbro - If he drops

Charlie McAvoy - If he drops

Markus Niemeläinen* - Very underrated in my mind 6'6" 205lbs, he's a late birthday as well

*A complete all-around defenceman that makes the game look easy. Natural size and strength compliment his smooth stride. Very mobile skater who moves up and down the ice quickly, with acute recognition of puck and body position. His maturity and poise is actualized in his high-percentage decision-making, with and without the puck, as well as his proactive stick and body play. Very stable defensively and always takes his lane, but is quick to rush the puck up the ice as he recognizes and accounts for how much time his team is spending in their own end. All-in-all, a quick-thinking defenceman that, honestly lacking nothing, has the potential to develop into a reliable two-way defenceman. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) 

I'm probably being too optimistic seeing as Dahlen, Fabbro, and McAvoy will probably have already been drafted but there's always a chance. Dahlen is filthy good, he supports the correct soccer team in Sweden as well so he's a beauty in my mind haha. 

I'm a huge Dahlen fan! I always have the impression that he's played himself into the first round but every time a new mock draft comes out he's never there and is still looked at as a 2nd rounder which I'd consider a steal. I want the one of the big 3 in the 1rst round and Dahlen in the 2nd. After that take all defence haha get more Huttons and Tryamkins with the middle and later picks.

On April 9, 2016 at 9:57 PM, junglesniper said:

Fabbro (heard he's gonna fall into the 20's on the rankings)

Kale Clague

Adam Mascherin

Rasmus Asplund

I really like the idea of Fabbro or clague and Asplund reminds me of Hansen. I really really liked him in the WJHC a puck hound

edit: Mccavoy if he falls to the second will be the steal of the draft. Think PK esc steal

BCHL defenseman Dante Fabbro fell out of the ISS top 30 in their latest rankings. If he's still available at 33 we pick him, even if he's going to college. Otherwise, we should pick WHL defenseman Lucas Johansen.

Johansen, a local kid, is coming out of the Kelowna Rockets program and they do very well in developing good defensemen (Weber, Edler, Myers, Barrie, Severson, Bowey). With Bowey leaving for the pro leagues, Johansen has had to step up into a much bigger role playing top minutes for the Rockets. He's done well, scoring 49 points in 69 games. Classic two-way defenseman with good size and who can skate and move the puck effectively.

Good to see some strong D are still likely to be available at 33.  We also have Anaheim's 2nd from the Bieksa trade.  Maybe another decent D is available at that spot.  If we go for a forward with our first, two D in the second round would be alright.  I'd still be interested in trading into another top 10 pick in this round if it doesn't wipe out our prospect pool.  Wondering if McCann plus Anaheim's second would do it?  Probably have to bump it up to our 33rd to start the conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Good to see some strong D are still likely to be available at 33.  We also have Anaheim's 2nd from the Bieksa trade.  Maybe another decent D is available at that spot.  If we go for a forward with our first, two D in the second round would be alright.  I'd still be interested in trading into another top 10 pick in this round if it doesn't wipe out our prospect pool.  Wondering if McCann plus Anaheim's second would do it?  Probably have to bump it up to our 33rd to start the conversation. 

Didnt that pick go to Pittsburgh

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I think we traded that in the Sutter trade

6 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We only have one second as far as I know. I believe the pens have the ducks second, can't remember right now. 

34 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

It's hard to keep track of all the picks Benning has traded away.. a little ironic.

settle down, benning traded ....

Clendening + Bonino + 2016 roughly 55th overall pick.

-for-

Sutter + 2016 63rd overall pick.

Clendening was clearly just a throw in. As he has played for 4 teams this season, finished the season on the oilers.... Pittsburgh would rather have Justin Schultz on their blue-line then him.... enough said.

Sutter is definitely the more superior player to Bonino, Faster/better on faceoffs/about even offensively. To me this gives us a guy who can help us with RHD draws & defensive faceoffs. Plus help move the puck up the ice & out of our zone faster.

The Canucks had bad luck with his injuries this season, as if he was healthy then we'd be looking at a 11-14th overall pick to a wildcard spot.

For that, it makes sense to give us a useless Clendening & 8 draft spots. (which could turn out to be 4-5 draft spots if Anaheim makes the finals.

1 minute ago, sharbinder said:

settle down, benning traded ....

Clendening + Bonino + 2016 roughly 55th overall pick.

-for-

Sutter + 2016 63rd overall pick.

Clendening was clearly just a throw in. As he has played for 4 teams this season, finished the season on the oilers.... Pittsburgh would rather have Justin Schultz on their blue-line then him.... enough said.

Sutter is definitely the more superior player to Bonino, Faster/better on faceoffs/about even offensively. To me this gives us a guy who can help us with RHD draws & defensive faceoffs. Plus help move the puck up the ice & out of our zone faster.

The Canucks had bad luck with his injuries this season, as if he was healthy then we'd be looking at a 11-14th overall pick to a wildcard spot.

For that, it makes sense to give us a useless Clendening & 8 draft spots. (which could turn out to be 4-5 draft spots if Anaheim makes the finals.

I never said it was a bad trade(s).

I just find it ironic, sometimes, that JB always preaches drafting and keeping picks and then in every trade throw in a 4th-5th or 6th. I think in almost every trade, except for Granlund, he's given up a pick. Those late rounders add up.

3 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I just find it ironic, sometimes, that JB always preaches drafting and keeping picks and then in every trade throw in a 4th-5th or 6th. I think in almost every trade, except for Granlund, he's given up a pick. Those late rounders add up.

I get that, but....

Baertschi > 2nd

Vey ? 2nd (still too early to tell, leaning more to a bad deal)

Etem >>>> Jensen + 6th.

Not having Kassian + Prust = Kassian + 5th

5 hours ago, junglesniper said:

It's not a "throw-in" when it is part of the value given.  Would you rather another player included to equalize the trades?  What about getting an "extra" pick back for Lack?  What "extra" pick was give up with Bieksa?  Or Sutter?  Jensen was not worth Etem straight up, nor was Prust for Kassian.  Just repeating a fable over and over doesn't make it true.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not a "throw-in" when it is part of the value given.  Would you rather another player included to equalize the trades?  What about getting an "extra" pick back for Lack?  What "extra" pick was give up with Bieksa?  Or Sutter?  Jensen was not worth Etem straight up, nor was Prust for Kassian.  Just repeating a fable over and over doesn't make it true.

Oh, no doubt. It's merely an observation; you need to give up value to get value. It's hard to gauge because Benning was left in limbo when he took over, so he did "have to" give up some picks in order to "bridge the gap". But in the end, whether you're retooling or rebuilding, you want to keep your picks and, if anything, acquire more. 

No 5th (conditional 4th) or 6th next year, and we might not finish any better in the standings. No saying Benning can't acquire more picks between now and then, it's just an observations that picks are flying out the door.

Archived