The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-12-16 at 2:01 PM, c00kies said:

Would you like to see my thesauri? ;)

Thesaurus is a latinization of the Greek word Thesauros ergo it does not pluralize by replacing the "us" with an "i".  Same mistake people make with the plural of octupus which is just boring old octopuses. ;)

32 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Thesaurus is a latinization of the Greek word Thesauros ergo it does not pluralize by replacing the "us" with an "i".  Same mistake people make with the plural of octupus which is just boring old octopuses. ;)

So does Thesuarodes work, like Octopodes works?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

To be fair, my phone autocorrected it to that lol. I looked it up afterwards and it seemed to be accepted, just like thesauruses.

Edit: after some digging around I found out that octopi is deemed correct due to a hypercorrection, but may not be found in all dictionaries.

Edited by c00kies

12 hours ago, c00kies said:

To be fair, my phone autocorrected it to that lol. I looked it up afterwards and it seemed to be accepted, just like thesauruses.

Edit: after some digging around I found out that octopi is deemed correct due to a hypercorrection, but may not be found in all dictionaries.

Sadly, because grammar is descriptive and not prescriptive, things like this will happen. Oh well.

A definite blessing on the Canucks. He's not the biggest guy (obviously), but he has a huge heart, a tremendous work ethic, and some offensive flare. He will be just as good as the other smaller defensemen in the league, think Tyson Barrie, Kris Russell, Torey Krug, and others.

• Upvote 3

On December 15, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Alflives said:

Stecher is not going to beat the snot out of anyone, or be a physically intimidating player like Bieksa.  Stecher does have better offensive instincts for sure though.

Bieksa had snarl but I seem to remember him bouncing off of a lot of players that he was trying to punish in front of the net. 

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

I'm surprised Stecher is still wearing #51 at this stage. He wore #2 at UND and in Utica. I wonder what gives? Superstition? Waiting for WD to tell him he's 'made the team'?

Maybe the Canucks prefer not to have number changes in the middle of the year?