The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

6 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I'm surprised Stecher is still wearing #51 at this stage. He wore #2 at UND and in Utica. I wonder what gives? Superstition? Waiting for WD to tell him he's 'made the team'?

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Maybe the Canucks prefer not to have number changes in the middle of the year?

1 hour ago, bernzie71 said:

maybe asking management first and mr.Hamhuis it's like 

Mr.Beiga wearing #3 he wore #3 in utica and #55 in vancouver.#respect

I think it has to do with Mattias Ohlund and this year being his induction into the Canucks Ring of Honour. Maybe next year for Stecher if he decides to make the number switch to #2.

I wonder if his drastic reduction in shot totals is due to fatigue or other teams starting to figure out his role and are taking away his lanes and forcing him to pass or miss the net. 60 shots his first 20 games and 33 his last 21 games. Half as many shots.

Edited by theilluminati

27 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

I wonder if his drastic reduction in shot totals is due to fatigue or other teams starting to figure out his role and are taking away his lanes and forcing him to pass or miss the net. 60 shots his first 20 games and 33 his last 21 games. Half as many shots.

Reality is it's probably both, but to me it seems more of the latter.  Teams are blocking way more of his shots.

Edit:  60 shots in 20 games is an incredible amount.  Not many defensemen average 3 shots per game.

Edited by Wilbur

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just a bit worried about having Stecher out with the Twins and Edler.  While, he's a battler and good with stickchecking, he's easily out-muscle'd by bigger forwards.  Considering that Edler can be iffy at times on defense and the Twins aren't great in their own zone either, you have 4/5 players who are weak defensively on-ice at the same time.  

Ehrhoff worked because he's more experienced than Stecher and during the time when Edler and the Sedins peaked, thus they were controlling the play in the offensive zone.  Since the Sedins has gotten even slower, and Edler still haven't been stabilized, maybe it's better to have Troy out with Horvat and Baertschi instead, since they play a more up-tempo game.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I'm just a bit worried about having Stecher out with the Twins and Edler.  While, he's a battler and good with stickchecking, he's easily out-muscle'd by bigger forwards.  Considering that Edler can be iffy at times on defense and the Twins aren't great in their own zone either, you have 4/5 players who are weak defensively on-ice at the same time.  

Ehrhoff worked because he's more experienced than Stecher and during the time when Edler and the Sedins peaked, thus they were controlling the play in the offensive zone.  Since the Sedins has gotten even slower, and Edler still haven't been stabilized, maybe it's better to have Troy out with Horvat and Baertschi instead, since they play a more up-tempo game.  

Alternatively, perhaps Horvat's line can dominate in a similar way (though not likely to the same degree) as the twins used to, making Edler less exposed playing with them. 

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Maybe it's exhaustion setting in.  In college he played only half as many games, with lower level of competition and less travel.  

Also.... after a few slapshots that got blocked, leading to goals against, maybe he's just more timid in pulling the trigger.  

Stecher passed the immortal Matt Bartowski on his way to 238th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist last night.

237.  Jason Strudwick D 243 4 15 19
238.  Troy Stecher D 56 2 17 19
239.  Jay Mazur C 47 11 7 18
240.  Jared McCann C 69 9 9 18
241.  Tim Hunter RW 176 8 10 18
241.  Richard Park C 60 8 10 18
243.  Matt Bartkowski D 80 6 12 18
244.  Kevan Guy D 114 5 13 18
245.  Pat Quinn D 133 4 14 18
246.  Shane O'Brien D 141 2 16 18

Think Stetcher has been one of the few real positives to come from this season. Probably is running out of gas a little, but love his work ethic and motor. Combined with his great attitude, look for him to come back a year older,wiser and stronger, and be a fixture in our top 4 for many years.

Not bad for a FA agent signing.

Need more with consistent effort like he and Bo.

If only some of the vets would bring the same effort every shift...especially our so called role models.

Edited by nickels

Next year will be intersesting, we saw it with Ben and can probably expect to see a little bit of a regression. Doesn't change his skill set though, and he will hopefully be putting up 35-40 points for us constantly when we are primed to make another run.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nickels said:

Not bad for a FA agent signing.

There's an understatement if I've ever seen one.  (Yes, I know you were purposely understanding it).

Stecher is amazing.  The fact that this guy is as good as he is at such a young age speaks to the very high skillset and IQ that he needs in order to compensate for his smaller frame.  If this guy is where he is at already, imagine where he will be if he puts on a bit more weight and gains more experience.  I love watching him play - he rarely makes mistakes and his view of the ice and developing plays is absolutely outstanding.  Really looking forward to seeing what this kid's ceiling is.