The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

Stetcher with a tremendous effort to right the ship in this very shaky first period in SJ. All over the ice on the defensive offensive side of the puck. Taking some risks to move in deeper on the play but hustling hard to recover position on the backcheck- silly to say, but almost Doughty like. 

Boeser and Stetcher rekindle that chemistry nicely late in the first when Boeser makes a cross ice feed from the halfwall back to Stetcher, who quickly returns the puck and Brock getting a quality shot. 6 with a little stick twirl after the play. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Quite remarkable that they considered him a prospect destined for the AHL to start the season, then ends up named their best d-man.  Not so much a commentary on the rest of the corps, either.

Troy is going to be a great dman for us moving forward. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is Stecher waiver exempt for the 2017/2018 season?

The Canucks seem to be linked to some RHD options in the FA and trade markets which doesn't make too much sense unless:

1. they intend to send those guys to Utica if they can't make the Canucks;

2. they intend to send someone that we currently expect to make the team to be cut; or

3. if someone is getting traded (e.g. Tanev).

I know RH vs LH D gets overly debated but it is curious.

If the Canucks do acquire a guy like Demers or Stone, my guess is that both Stecher and Subban might be expected to start the season in the Utica but this could also be related to a possible separate Tanev trade.  If they sign Postma then I think it's likely at least one of Stecher or Subban would be expected to go the AHL (though I'm pretty sure Subban is waiver eligible next season).

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

Makes no sense to start Stecher in Utica.  24 points from a rookie is entirely impressive - especially considering nobody expect him to be THAT good.  Nobody on our blueline has mobility like he does, so I would be shocked to see him start in Utica.  I can, however, see Subban in Utica and in fact given last year I almost expect it.  

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The Canucks seem to be linked to some RHD options in the FA and trade markets which doesn't make too much sense unless:

2. they intend to send someone that we currently expect to make the team to be cut; or

If the Canucks do acquire a guy like Demers or Stone, my guess is that both Stecher and Subban might be expected to start the season in the Utica but this could also be related to a possible separate Tanev trade.  If they sign Postma then I think it's likely at least one of Stecher or Subban would be expected to go the AHL (though I'm pretty sure Subban is waiver eligible next season).

As was mentioned, there's almost a 0% chance that Stecher starts in Utica. He proved capable in the NHL despite his lack of size and I think he'd have to have a brutal start to the first 20 games or so to get demoted that far down.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I like having too many players per position.  That means that they have to compete hard to earn their job.  And I have no doubt that Stecher will do just that and probably get one.  And if someone beats him out then that person is going to have to work awfully hard (and that can't be a bad thing).   GCG!

Edited by nux_win

I really wonder if it would be too much to have both Troy and Jordan in the line up.  Can we have 2 undersized d-men in the line up considering the size of our competition in our division?

6 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I really wonder if it would be too much to have both Troy and Jordan in the line up.  Can we have 2 undersized d-men in the line up considering the size of our competition in our division?

If they are back quick to pucks, make quick decisions, and move the puck quick, then absolutely.  

Hopefully we don't see a sophmore slump from Stecher, but if we do we can always bump him down the lineup and play Tanev and Gudbranson more. Holm is waiting in the wings too and I think Holm will be more useful than Larson in the past, so there's room to move if Stecher doesn't come out of the gates the way he did last season.

I really would love to give Subban a decent shot, and there's no issue with having Stecher and Subban on the same lineup, as long as both of them have a nice safety-net physical defensive partner. Edler can protect either one of them. Hutton and Subban on the same pairing is a disaster waiting to happen though.

I won't be surprise if he struggles a bit out of the gate as this is his 2nd year and teams going to target him more. I think he will come through this season and get a similar contract extension as Hutton did this year.

On 2017-06-29 at 2:04 PM, kloubek said:

Makes no sense to start Stecher in Utica.  24 points from a rookie is entirely impressive - especially considering nobody expect him to be THAT good.  Nobody on our blueline has mobility like he does, so I would be shocked to see him start in Utica.  I can, however, see Subban in Utica and in fact given last year I almost expect it.  

As long as TS doesn't have that attitude of having a spot locked up he should win a spot.  Canucks have added a fair bit of competition for him and OJ will be a force I suspect so nice to have players needing to earn it.

• 1 month later...