The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

19 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Was gonna say something like that myself. Jake should see how Stecher works and use that as an example. Stecher's story is inspirational to me as I am a small guy who likes playing defense as well, so it's neat to see a small guy having some success.

Maybe Richmond players are harder working than Abbotsford players?

At what point can we give this guy a real number. I don't think #51 is the number he wants for his carreer. I understand we didn't just want to hand someone who might go right back to the AHL Hamhuis' #2, but at this point i think its safe to say he's staying for a while. I saw someone wearing a #51 stecher jersey and I think he's going to be a popular jersey really soon and it would be a piss off for him to change numbers after so many people buy jerseys. Thoughts on Stecher taking #2 soon, or would it be an end of season thing?

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

At what point can we give this guy a real number. I don't think #51 is the number he wants for his carreer. I understand we didn't just want to hand someone who might go right back to the AHL Hamhuis' #2, but at this point i think its safe to say he's staying for a while. I saw someone wearing a #51 stecher jersey and I think he's going to be a popular jersey really soon and it would be a piss off for him to change numbers after so many people buy jerseys. Thoughts on Stecher taking #2 soon, or would it be an end of season thing?

I actually like 51, its unique, just like the player is for us. Cant wait to see what he develops into

45 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

5 years from now the hip, anti-mainstream crowd can boast that they have a #51 Stecher jersey. They had the jersey before it was cool.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I actually like 51, its unique, just like the player is for us. Cant wait to see what he develops into

I just associate it with (a) training camp high number that isn't even a cool high number, and (b) ex derek dorsett number... haha... I mean if he likes it then fair enough but i'm sure he'd rather have #2 his Nodak number or 77 which was the number he wore for the Vees when i used to watch him (way cooler high number).

He had a chance to end it last night in OT. He's been a real steady defenceman with our top 2 defencemen out. He is the future of this team no doubt. I love how he walks the line with the puck whether it's on the PP or even strength. He always wants to get shots on net and it'd be better if some our players could help him out and tip those home. Keep it up, Troy!

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Remember when Philip Larsen made the team and Stecher didn't?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

We gave up something for larsen. we had to find out what we had in him before giving up. lots of young players have had good preseasons in the past only to disappear when the games matter. Obviously Stetcher isn't one of those guys but we had to be sure. 

Shame on management for making a conservative well thought out decision eh?

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

I heard him mention lately that he will be changing his number....so hold off buying those jerseys !!

• Upvote 1

Kids a shooter. He's taken 49 shots on net through 17 games, which is 9 games less than the 3 players on our team ahead of him. Out of all rookie defencemen he's taken the 4th most shots and they have played 11,9,7 games more than him. If we took his average and put it in the middle at 26 games he'd have taken the most shots of any rookie d-man so far this season (albiet with his shooting percentage at 2.0% his goals wouldn't go up). Over an 82 game season he's on pace for 236 shots on net, which would have been 30th in the NHL last season, first among rookie d-men (69 shots more than 2nd Colton Parayko), 2nd among all rookies (2 behind Eichel) and 5th among all d-men. If he raises his shooting percentage to a more respectable 6% that would be a 14 goal season. Of course the sample size isn't the largest this kid has me super excited for what he can do.