snizzle_

Mathias scores most his goals off the rush and a lot on breakaways

I would say prob 5 of his goals I said the goalie should have had that one

Wrister off the wing that somehow goes through the goalie

That was the biggest improvement adding Baertshi to the line, puck possession

They played in the other teams end for long periods of time

Goes a long way wearing down the opponents defense

Especially in the playoffs

Granted, both goals were five hole and probably exploiting average goaltending BUT....

2 nice goals. This guy is EXCITING. How can he not stay up v the Flames.

2nd goals was a really good play and probably would have gone in on a lot of goalies. The first goal was Scrivins being Scrivins

Think Sven has earned the start in gm 1 on 2nd line w/play tonite. The line completely controlled the puck all nite.

Notice WD moved Kenins to 4th line last 1/2 of game, and Mcmillan w/Horvat and Hansen. Think that will be Higgins spot to start the playoffs. Higgins Horvat Hansen to play vs Monahan line,

Kenins or Mattias w/Vey (assuming no Richardson) and Dorsett on 4th line.

Edited by nickels555

I'm impressed, but defensively Sven will be a concern in the playoffs ;therefore, I can see Willie sticking to Higgins. However, next year Sven should take 2nd line duties, with Higgins traded at the deadline.

Against Calgary, his defence won't be a concern. I've watched some of Calgary's games and one thing that was clear was that they are a hard working team that moves their feet at all times.

Their goal scoring relies heavily on moving quickly around the ice to put pressure on the puck carrier to cause turnovers. They are also good at going on the counter attacks with at least one player always driving the net to cause havoc, which increases the probability of the puck coming out to Calgary player out of the mess for a goal scoring chance. They also have finishers that can score when these opportunities come.

In my opinion, we need a fast skilled guys to beat that team. Someone who can back check fast to end their rush and to make the pass to get us going on the counter attack. And be able to move the puck out quickly but accurately from the defensive zone. And to expose their defence, we need young legs with skill to weave around their defence and with a good shot to finish. I think Baertschi fits that bill perfectly.

If we are playing LA, then I would agree that Higgins would be a better option.

Higgins is still a very useful player and I think him alongside Bo as Nickels555 suggested might be a good option. Keep Kenins and Dorsett on the fourth line to crash and bang.

He'll start in the press box, but like the CBC boys were saying, tonight's game really added credit to Baertschi's game and WillieD will be far more likely to go to him somewhere into the series if an injury occurs or a player is struggling.

His speed and skill are palpable, and I could really see him and Vrbata being a perfect pair and the perfect mentorship.

Loving the positive finish to the season.. you wanna go in winning, not slipping through the backdoor like Pittsburgh

I'm impressed, but defensively Sven will be a concern in the playoffs ;therefore, I can see Willie sticking to Higgins. However, next year Sven should take 2nd line duties, with Higgins traded at the deadline.

Sven isn't bad defensively. That's just crap you've heard from flames fans. But Higgy is better defensively, so I agree on that point.
  • Upvote 1

I thought his first goal was more impressive.

His edging and body positioning is very good. The way he can turn on a dime and transition is the sole reason he scored that 1st goal. Him and Vrbata are the 3rd and 4th most skilled players on the team right now; their passing abilities really shone on the 1st goal as well.

I really didn't like Vey again tonight.