The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Also Baer has always put up good numbers in the AHL but has been missing something that has prevented him from making the nhl, even-though he has 30pts in 70 games. It would be ill considerate to blame it all on the coach, there has to be some responsibility on the player too.

He was missing something all right, and that's a proper team to play for rather than Calgary who made mistakes with him along the way.

He was missing something all right, and that's a proper team to play for rather than Calgary who made mistakes with him along the way.

You can make this assumption based on AHL games and 5 nhl game or our track record for developing young players is better than calgary??? Even though in the past he has performed this good in the AHL. We will not know that until he plays around 20 games in the NHL.

Edited by hockeyking

You can make this assumption based on AHL games and 5 nhl game??? Even though in the past he has performed this good in the AHL.

I've watched over 10 utica games this year, all with Baertschi playing. He is often the best player on the ice and generates a ton of offence for Utica. Even when he doesn't get a point he is dangerous in the offensive zone and his visions is at an Elite level. 30 points in 70 games isn't bad at all and I would expect him to be at about 40-50 points next year, his talent is undeniable and playing with players like Vrbata, Horvat/Bonino will only help him produce at a decent level next year.

I've watched over 10 utica games this year, all with Baertschi playing. He is often the best player on the ice and generates a ton of offence for Utica. Even when he doesn't get a point he is dangerous in the offensive zone and his visions is at an Elite level. 30 points in 70 games isn't bad at all and I would expect him to be at about 40-50 points next year, his talent is undeniable and playing with players like Vrbata, Horvat/Bonino will only help him produce at a decent level next year.

Hes always good in the AHL even in the Calgary but that doesn't always translate into instant second line player in the NHL. If so he would have been a second-liner in calgary long ago if it was based on dominating the AHL. I am just saying we shouldn't just give him the spot and he might be a bit raw still for second line duty right off the bat.

Edited by hockeyking

Hes always good in the AHL even in the Calgary but that doesn't always translate into instant second line player in the NHL. If so he would have been a second-liner in calgary long ago if it was based on dominating the AHL. I am just saying we shouldn't just give him the spot and he might be a bit raw still for second line duty right off the bat.

But you've got to be honest, Sven has always been good but never has he ever been as good as he has with the Canucks.

But you've got to be honest, Sven has always been good but never has he ever been as good as he has with the Canucks.

So good that 28 other NHL teams passed on him? So good with the Canucks? How many games again? He will

get his chance this fall. I hope he blows the doors off in the process. That said I simply have not seen enough to get overly excited. I am actually marginally more excited about what Grenier might be capable

of.

Ppoints mean jack. Watch the games. You put literally anyone (let's say Sestito) on our second line, playing 16-18 minutes every game and getting 2nd pp time; they are bound to get at least 15-20 points. And, Matthias > Higgins.

Our second unit PP did close to nothing this year I don't believe Higgins picked up much of anything on the PP. Watch the games and you'll see why Matthais wasn't on the secomd line. I don't recall Benning calling Matthias a "glue" guy. Why people think Matthias is superior to Higgins is beyond me. Matthias had one good month this season, other than that was nonexistent. Higgins when isn't scoring is at the very least dependable defensively and is relied on to kill Penalties. There's a reason so many people just want to let him walk.

Basrtschi will hopefull play 3rd line, but play second line PP. Baertschi Horvat and Hansen/Dorsett would make a great 3rd line. Dangerous in all 3 zones.

Edited by N7Nucks

You can make this assumption based on AHL games and 5 nhl game or our track record for developing young players is better than calgary??? Even though in the past he has performed this good in the AHL. We will not know that until he plays around 20 games in the NHL.

So you're saying Calgary didn't make mistakes in how they handled him? Burke's comments are just the first thing that comes to mind. And I didn't make any assumptions, just commented on what he was missing that could have been holding him back despite the reasonable stat line you yourself mentioned.

Its not that hes not nhl ready its if his game is refined enough to be on the second line, with regards to defensive ability, conditioning, and strength. He still might need to learn what it takes to be consistent at the NHL like Kassian and that's best taught with grinders on the third line, similarly how Horvat, Vey, Kassian, and Kennins were taught. Even though your a skilled guy you still have to go into the boards and win buck battles.

Also Baer has always put up good numbers in the AHL but has been missing something that has prevented him from making the nhl, even-though he has 30pts in 70 games. It would be ill considerate to blame it all on the coach, there has to be some responsibility on the player too.

I there is huge bias in your assessment which is clear by comparing Baer vision to that of the two best playmakers of their generation.

I think he might be a second-liner later in the year or the start of next year but just not to start the year but we won't actually know until preseason.

I do agree that Baer would benefit from better strength and conditioning. I would bet his training lapsed last summer due to his situation in Calgary, which is well-documented. But if you think he's to blame and not the coaching staff and management, take a look at his AHL performance over the years.

1st season: 0.82 ppg (0.5 NHL ppg in 20 games with the Flames)

2nd season: 0.71 ppg (0.42 NHL ppg in 26 games)

3rd season - Burke calls him out publicly to start the season: 0.69 ppg (0.25 NHL ppg in 15 games)

Traded to the Canucks: 1.00 ppg (0.67 ppg in 3 games with the Canucks)

He also suddenly went from basically an even +/- to +6 with the Comets. No conditioning changes, new system to get used to, still a massive jump. Let's not forget that the Comets are not an offensively-minded team. They play sound defense and Sven has done the same while generating more points than ever before. So yeah, give him a summer to chase a roster spot and I guarantee he'll train like hell.

As for the Sedin comparison, this is a kid JB called the best junior player in his draft year. Watch some Comets games. If he had a nickel for every time his teammates whiffed on his saucer passes, he'd never need an NHL contract. He also tends to gets stuck with no one to pass to on the rush because he's so much faster than everyone else on his team. Put him with Bo and Hansen and watch them get tap-ins in bunches.

So good that 28 other NHL teams passed on him? So good with the Canucks? How many games again? He will

get his chance this fall. I hope he blows the doors off in the process. That said I simply have not seen enough to get overly excited. I am actually marginally more excited about what Grenier might be capable

of.

You're more excited about what Grenier might be capable of over Sven? If you watch the Comets games Sven is easily more dominating. (not taking anything away from Grenier he's playing great)

Sven might be small by some peoples standards but watching his board battles and ability to steal the puck from bigger players you should be very excited. I don't know if he always played like this but if its something he mastered this year he's got a good NHL career ahead of him.

Sven B said in some local interviews that the system in Calgary was much more north-south, less possession oriented and featured longer passes. In the Canucks system he felt that his possession attributes would be better appreciated. He is allowed to do a lot of puck carrying in Utica and Travis Green thinks SB will do very well at the next level. I don't know if that qualifies as a "mistake" Calgary made in handling him, but maybe it will be a better fit in Van. He has an awful lot of skill. I don't know that we go this far in the Calder without him. He will be missed but it will be awesome watching him play in the big show.

get his chance this fall. I hope he blows the doors off in the process. That said I simply have not seen enough to get overly excited. I am actually marginally more excited about what Grenier might be capable of.

Derping so hard.

I'm excited about Grenier because he has come so far this year. He wasn't really on the radar before and now he's the first guy JB wants to talk about. So the reason is because this was unexpected.

Baertschi is obviously a skilled player that Benning also glows about. If he can make the top 6 next year he will be a real find. The 2nd line was weak last year and Sven represents an upgrade. I'm excited for him too but his case is more one of achieving what was expected.

Agreed .......

I'm excited about Grenier because he has come so far this year. He wasn't really on the radar before and now he's the first guy JB wants to talk about. So the reason is because this was unexpected.

Baertschi is obviously a skilled player that Benning also glows about. If he can make the top 6 next year he will be a real find. The 2nd line was weak last year and Sven represents an upgrade. I'm excited for him too but his case is more one of achieving what was expected.

I am stoked to see Grenier making literally big strides too, but you have to be Baertschi is unexpected because of the trade, and the fact it was a late second for a guy who projects as a top 6 forward in AHL PPG. Whether he can grind it out in the NHL for a full season and contribute is yet to be scene, but his cost to projection ratio is so high that he's the more exciting prospect for me.

Grenier always had a chance to be a bottom 6 NHLer, he looks like he actually can get there now and thats amazing, but he's a third rounder just like Cole Cassels is and the hype is just not on the same level.

Grenier always had a chance to be a bottom 6 NHLer.

Truth. What's really drum up the Grenier love is that people who didn't follow the Comets or Wolves finally clued in to his existence. He's been playing good hockey and making big strides since our last year with the Wolves.

Sven to Vancouver will be our generation's version of Naslund for Stojankov.

It was a very calculatedn and worthy risk to give up a 2nd rns pick for him.

He has been outstanding and developing further under his old mentor Travis Green. People seem to forget that only 4 yrs ago he was touted as the best player In the WHL and CHL. To me he is a mini Hossa out there.

I have no doubt Vancouver will put him in a position to succeed next year. Top 6 role. With PP1 or PP2 time.

When he makes the canucks he will instantly become the 2nd best passer and playmaker on the team. 3 or so years of watching and Learning from Henrik will do nothing but good things for him. I think he will lead the offence and be the driving force towards the end of Sedins careers and especially once they retire.

Sven to Vancouver will be our generation's version of Naslund for Stojankov.

It was a very calculatedn and worthy risk to give up a 2nd rns pick for him.

He has been outstanding and developing further under his old mentor Travis Green. People seem to forget that only 4 yrs ago he was touted as the best player In the WHL and CHL. To me he is a mini Hossa out there.

I have no doubt Vancouver will put him in a position to succeed next year. Top 6 role. With PP1 or PP2 time.

When he makes the canucks he will instantly become the 2nd best passer and playmaker on the team. 3 or so years of watching and Learning from Henrik will do nothing but good things for him. I think he will lead the offence and be the driving force towards the end of Sedins careers and especially once they retire.

Yup, I rememer when he got drafted thinking he was going to be owning us for years. Glad he's on our side now.

Actually a lot of people say his play style is similar to Hossa.