The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Where's CapGeek when you need it! 3-4 more years might be a good guess since that'd take him to 25-26. But even then, $2M for 3 years would probably be a good bridge contract, and we'd still have $800K left in cap space.

I'm just hoping they aren't going the "5 year, $4M" route.

Yes: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/vancouver-canucks

Geez this guy has not proven enough at the NHL level for term or price. 2 year term and then a serious

contract. There are other young players coming and no way does Sven B set a precedent. Once again, no

other team was prepared to trade a 2nd to get Sven. He has to have a 'show me' contract.

Edited by Boudrias

I suspect contract talks are slower with him because he wants more term then money. Benning probably wants to sign him to a contract similar to Corrado and Clendening... a bridge deal... but I suspect Baertschi wants a deal that spans 2-3 years instead of 1.

Where's CapGeek when you need it!

Indeed :(

I'm sure the salary cap trouble is just making sure there is enough flexibility left after the signing, not that his new contract would exceed our remaining salary cap guys.

Precisely. ~$800k is not a lot of flexibility.

I suspect contract talks are slower with him because he wants more term then money. Benning probably wants to sign him to a contract similar to Corrado and Clendening... a bridge deal... but I suspect Baertschi wants a deal that spans 2-3 years instead of 1.

There's nothing stating a bridge contract must be 1 year. There's plenty of 2, 3 year "bridge" deals.

i wonder what happens if bearcheese decides to go play in europe.

I just don't see that remotely happening. Nothing people should be at all worried about at this point.

Geez this guy has not proven enough at the NHL level for term or price. 2 year term and then a serious

contract. There are other young players coming and no way does Sven B set a precedent. Once again, no

other team was prepared to trade a 2nd to get Sven. He has to have a 'show me' contract.

Not factual.

Not factual.

That he was traded in the same division makes it easy to conclude that we were the highest bidder by a longshot. You don't want a kid you gave up on biting your ass all the time

Pure speculation but it's not crazy

Edited by TimberWolf

I have no problem with a 2-3 year deal for Sven at a reasonable price. I'm not prepared to get into anything over $2.5-3M or 4-5 years, and I don't think he's asking for that level but we don't really know.

I'd guess it'd be a 2-3 year deal between $1.2-1.8M and they still want to clear more cap. Depending how that works I'd probably be just fine with the deal, but we'll have to see what comes out.

Not factual.

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere but in forums, but there were a few forum posts that said Treliving had said Vancouver's offer was the best by far.

A couple of those:

A Calgary forum has numerous posts quoting Treliving: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=144827&page=26

And on CDC Ryan Strome posted saying Treliving had said the same thing on 960 (Radio): http://forum.canucks.com/topic/367730-trade-sven-baertschi-to-canucks/?p=12633199

Edited by tyhee

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere but in forums, but there were a few forum posts that said Treliving had said Vancouver's offer was the best by far.

A couple of those:

A Calgary forum has numerous posts quoting Treliving: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=144827&page=26

And on CDC Ryan Strome posted saying Treliving had said the same thing on 960 (Radio): http://forum.canucks.com/topic/367730-trade-sven-baertschi-to-canucks/?p=12633199

In fairness, what constitutes "by far"?

Perhaps his next best offer was a later 2nd or a very early 3rd. Or maybe an earlier 2nd but they wanted Calgary's 3rd back with Sven. Who the hell knows?

Hardly indicates that the Canucks paid some king's ransom more than anyone else was willing to.

Boedker just got 2yrs @ 2.55m pr season. He is a bonified NHL player. I believe he'd get more than a 2nd round pick if traded.

So far, Sven has proven that he is a very good AHL player. Was acquired for a 2nd round pick.

Just don't see him getting anything near 2m or longer than 2yrs. Hopefully more like 1.9m @ 1yr. One way contract.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with a 2-3 year deal for Sven at a reasonable price. I'm not prepared to get into anything over $2.5-3M or 4-5 years, and I don't think he's asking for that level but we don't really know.

I'd guess it'd be a 2-3 year deal between $1.2-1.8M and they still want to clear more cap. Depending how that works I'd probably be just fine with the deal, but we'll have to see what comes out.

IMO, I'm thinking Baertschi should accept Q.O. and be thankful he will be playing 2nd line minutes in the Show. Take the one year deal, prove yourself and THEN ding them.

The way I see it, if he gets a higher end bridge contract. He has to prove more, as a young offensive talent playing in the top 6 this can mean more insentive to produce. There's downside but we have been singing his praises since he's arrived, he's done well and now we should give him a 1-2 one way and if it doesn't work out then cut our losses.

Yup, no way he gets $2 mil, and probably not even $1.5 unless it's on a one-year but he reportedly wants longer.

Most likely on the lower end of that, and probably to a year or two short of UFA if they go that long. He has a big opportunity to turn it into a significant payday if he can take that 2L spot. Bridge.

• Upvote 1

Seeing a bit of chatter today on Twitter from fans wanting their team to sign Baertschi to an offer sheet.

Begs the question: how high would we match? Anything in the $1,826,328-$3,652,659 range has compensation of a 2nd round pick (so we "break even" technically--although I consider Baertschi more valuable than a 2nd round pick).

But would we match at $2 million or $2.5 million? Probably, but I'm not entirely sure.

What about $3 million or $3.5 million? I'd expect we wouldn't, unless it was just to prove a point (many GMs have a policy of matching any offer sheet on their young players).

At what point would we just walk away and take the 2nd rounder?

Obviously the chances of an offer sheet on Baertschi are slim to nil, but it's still interesting to try to figure out where Benning would draw the line.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME