The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

It seems like Vancouver is a great fit because not only the system is better suited but also they know and accept the type of player he is. Green gave him more freedom to make plays and use his creativity - it's been a long time since he was that fun to watch. Hope WD will continue in the same vein and that Sven can just keep going. In any case, looks like Benning, Linden and others were right when they said he needed an environment where he could enjoy playing hockey again and get his confidence back (from before game 5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3IEiDoqtw

If Travis Green gave Beartschi a chnace to produce I'd think think WD doing the same is doubtful. Willy is all about Willy. Job protection and the heck with youth development....lets be honest it was a reluctant WD when it cane to Horvat. He likes the Vets such as Higgins free of mistakes. I know this isn't Utica but at some stage JB is going to have to force WD hand by force feeding prospects to WD.

If Travis Green gave Beartschi a chnace to produce I'd think think WD doing the same is doubtful. Willy is all about Willy. Job protection and the heck with youth development....lets be honest it was a reluctant WD when it cane to Horvat. He likes the Vets such as Higgins free of mistakes. I know this isn't Utica but at some stage JB is going to have to force WD hand by force feeding prospects to WD.

WD's job is to win games, he will play whomever he feels gives us the best chance to win. Green does the same hence why they relied so much on veterans in Utica as well.

• Upvote 2

Horvat was also 19 and hadn't played any professional hockey. I think WD was justified in his doubt and I give him credit, because when Horvat proved him wrong, WD changed his mind instead of stubbornly sticking to his guns. Also, Linden Vey. Another young guy that was given every opportunity under WD. Then there's Kenins who worked his butt off and played well. He was rewarded with a regular roster spot down the stretch. With this in mind, I have to say that I completely disagree with your assessment of WD and his asset management.

Baertschi has a good amount of experience in the pro leagues now (NHL included) and his skill set revolves around scoring. I think WD will give him the opportunity to earn that spot in the top 6. I genuinely believe that Baertschi controls his fate at this point.

Linden Vey was a Willie guy from Jr. So that's not the best example. Other than that, you're bang on!

@NEWS1130Sports

Just talked with Sven Baertschi about his chances of making the #Canucks next season.

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Baertschi on making the #Canucks : " I have to put in the work in a short summer, not taking a big break, in the end it's up to me."

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Baertschi : "Got to get ready for next year, I have to show up to camp, got to do well. This summer is huge." #Canucks

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-
  • Upvote 3

@NEWS1130Sports

Just talked with Sven Baertschi about his chances of making the #Canucks next season.

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Baertschi on making the #Canucks : " I have to put in the work in a short summer, not taking a big break, in the end it's up to me."

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Baertschi : "Got to get ready for next year, I have to show up to camp, got to do well. This summer is huge." #Canucks

Sounds like he's going to try and pull an Eddie Lack.

@NEWS1130Sports

‏@NEWS1130Sports

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Last summer he spent the whole time in Calgary to work with their athletic trainer and it was reported that he came into camp very fit despite missing quite a bit of time recovering from his broken ribs at the Worlds. My guess is that he will do the same thing and spend the summer in Vancouver. I like the mindset and I think he's going to show that he deserves to make the team on his own value and not because of his waiver status.

Last summer he spent the whole time in Calgary to work with their athletic trainer and it was reported that he came into camp very fit despite missing quite a bit of time recovering from his broken ribs at the Worlds. My guess is that he will do the same thing and spend the summer in Vancouver. I like the mindset and I think he's going to show that he deserves to make the team on his own value and not because of his waiver status.

IF he doesn't he will be riding the pine faster than Willie can say "Linden Vey" :bigblush:

In all seriousness though Benning said the Baertschi is going to be on the 2nd or 3rd line next year, but which one is up to him to decide.

Can see Baertschi has an accurate and effective one timer in the slot. Has ridiculous handles, a wicked shot, and amazing passing skills. Can just tell he's a magical offensive player with all the tools to do damage. Really hope he can settle in and play to his full potential.

Dang he's fun to watch! Stoked to see what he can do with the big club!

Best part of that vid is that a lot of times you watch AHL, Jr etc scoring highlights...in the back of your head you keep thinking "An NHL goalie would have had that one".

Most of Sven's goals in that vid would have had a very good chance of beating NHL goalies too IMO :towel: