The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gaunce is a guy we should all be excited about, his play has developed steadily, and he is alwas improving.

I do not expect him to make the team next year, but to lead Utica as a top player and leader.

Not saying he isn't capable or won't make ye Canucks next season, I just see him being fully developed the right way.

I think they are getting him to play wing because we have a bunch of C coming up the pipeline.

By teaching/ developing all the ones that go through Utica to play the wing it will allow more line flexibility in the future. That's what I think at least.

Gaunce is finding his scoring touch in the pros. Scored his 4th goal on the power play in a 6-3 win against Lake Erie.

He and Shinky seem to have taken less time than Jensen to find their game in the pros. Although perhaps Chicago just being an absolute shitshow could have been the case since Jensen looks pretty damn good now.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's jumped ahead of Shinkaruk in the pipeline, especially since he can now play the same wing. I watched the highlights for tonights can and see that he skates so much more powerful and efficient which makes up for his footspeed. He's using his body and size well too. Shows on his assists.

He's certainly starting to show his worth as a 20 year old. I think he will push for a spot next year, but ultimately spend another season in Utica, with potential call ups. He's going to be a great all round player for us one day.

in 3 season Gaunce will be 23, thats obvious but thats the same age as Vey right now, where do you guys see Gaunce in 3 years? 3LW 2LW ?

Edited by Horvat

in 3 season Gaunce will be 23, thas obvious but thats the same age as Vey right now, where do you guys see Gaunce in 3 years? 3LW 2LW ?

Probably. Could be Richie's replacement if he walks this summer and Gaunce has a really good training camp.

Edit: Could see him in a role like Vey is now. In and out of the line up, but usually consitent none the less.

Edited by clgman

Probably. Could be Richie's replacement if he walks this summer and Gaunce has a really good training camp.

Edit: Could see him in a role like Vey is now. In and out of the line up, but usually consitent none the less.

in 3 years i see him playing as a second liner or a really good 3rd liner

in 3 years i see him playing as a second liner or a really good 3rd liner

Alright, let's calm down a bit. The guy is doing fine but it's not like he's lighting the A on fire. There are many first year pro's who are doing way better than him, Charles Hudon, Chris Tierny, so are they going to be 1st liners in 3 years?

Let's not forget he's a 1st round pick, so he was expected to have some offensive upside and scoring <0.5ppg in the AHL isn't that great, even for a first year pro.

I like the way he's playing (heavy, strong and tenacious) and think he's 2 years from being a regular in the bottom 6.

Alright, let's calm down a bit. The guy is doing fine but it's not like he's lighting the A on fire. There are many first year pro's who are doing way better than him, Charles Hudon, Chris Tierny, so are they going to be 1st liners in 3 years?

Let's not forget he's a 1st round pick, so he was expected to have some offensive upside and scoring <0.5ppg in the AHL isn't that great, even for a first year pro.

I like the way he's playing (heavy, strong and tenacious) and think he's 2 years from being a regular in the bottom 6.

we'll see...

Hudon and Tierney are offensive scorers in the A. Gaunce is more of a two-way forward. He most likely gets much less O-Zone time than Hudon or Tierney. It doesn't surprise me his rookie campaign is rather underwhelming. But once he gets his offensive game going, I have no problem putting him in the middle 6 on the Canucks in a season or two.

Edited by clgman

Hudon and Tierney are offensive scorers in the A. Gaunce is more of a two-way forward. He most likely gets much less O-Zone time than Hudon or Tierney. It doesn't surprise me his rookie campaign is rather underwhelming. But once he gets his offensive game going, I have no problem putting him in the middle 6 on the Canucks in a season or two.

i dont realy find .005 underwhelming either its kind of what i expect, both gaunce jensen and shinkaruk are all developmental prospects i dont expect to much scoring in the A right off the bat in 2 season gaunce will hopefully be playing on the 1st line

By all accounts he is not playing a heavy game which is one of his assets ( size ) I' thinking until he makes progress in that area he's going to be in the AHL. I have no false hopes that he'll be a scoring star but if he uses size who knows he may make it to the NHL. It's up to him how much he wants it

Sure, but they were also later round selection.

All i'm saying is that given his rather average point production, we'll see how he looks at training camps going forward before saying he's a lock for the middle/top/bottom 6, because in the 3 NHL training camps he's been to, he's been underwhelming in all of them.