The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

7 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

It might be some sort of "play me or trade me" type of thing, I don't think he has a ton of leverage besides the big body and draft pedigree, but it is a fact that he has been lost in the shuffle around here.

Watching Virtanen have the red carpet rolled out for him while Gaunce sat in Utica had to hurt. I'm sure he was thinking "I can play at least as well as Jake did last year, why the hell is he getting a shot and not me"

I wouldn't fault him for that either.

This. I'd rather have Gaunce than 3 or 4 of our current forwards and he sees the imbalance for sure. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This. I'd rather have Gaunce than 3 or 4 of our current forwards and he sees the imbalance for sure. 

I sometimes think these kids do need to stand up for themselves in order to be noticed.

Most people had heard of Druoin last year but knew little more then the name. Stevey Y was not treating him like he was important and although it can seem douchey and bratty , I think what he did last year was the best move, he stood up and said "F$#k you Stevie Y I am important" all of a sudden all eyes were on him and he became an NHL celebrity. He then went on to prove he was no myth in the playoffs and now he's a star.

It's no secret Stevie Y doesn't like him, so if he hadn't done that he may very well have been another "Gee whiz I hope I make the team" pre-season prospect who was starting to get "Bust" whispers in the media. 

Some guys need to be put into the frying pan before you know what they are made of, they play to their competition, and are totally different players in the NHL then they are in the minors

rI think the team should make room for Gaunce one way or another, and if they don't he needs to make them do something , because they are treating him like a minor leaguerI

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'm as big a Gaunce fan as anyone, but him not making the team out of camp isn't a big deal. He may still do it, but more time to play top 6/first line minutes in Utica and help him polish his offensive game is a good thing. He'll have plenty of time, probably starting this year by the deadline, to play in the NHL, and last year showed that progression. What we don't want though is him feeling underconfident and just trying to hang in defensively.

I'm pulling for him, but there are lots of good outcomes for him after camp.

Agree to disagree I guess. I just think sending him down to Utica has a potential for his confidence to be completely ruined. He will feel snubbed, and might run the risk of him not improving on himself once he's playing for Utica. Could discourage him.

Making the NHL team will give him a huge boost of confidence, as it has to our other young players. 

10 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

I sometimes think these kids do need to stand up for themselves in order to be noticed.

Most people had heard of Druoin last year but knew little more then the name. Stevey Y was not treating him like he was important and although it can seem douchey and bratty , I think what he did last year was the best move, he stood up and said "F$#k you Stevie Y I am important" all of a sudden all eyes were on him and he became an NHL celebrity. He then went on to prove he was no myth in the playoffs and now he's a star.

Stevie Y was treating him like a hockey player who needed to earn what he got. 

He didn't turn into a star until he got over his douchey brattiness and accepted that Stevie Y was right.

i think gaunce is coming along the right way (very similar to an old Detroit model) where he keeps getting stronger and better every year as he plays within the system the coaches push him.

Hes never going to be Stevie Y, but his current trajectory could eventually look like the Mule's

Edited by nzan

8 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Agree to disagree I guess. I just think sending him down to Utica has a potential for his confidence to be completely ruined. He will feel snubbed, and might run the risk of him not improving on himself once he's playing for Utica. Could discourage him.

Making the NHL team will give him a huge boost of confidence, as it has to our other young players. 

Gaunce doesn't strike me as a fragile flower.

8 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Gaunce is a 3rd year pro this year. I agree that all things even or even a tad below he should stay on the roster. I'm saying this because Van IMHO is not a serious playoff contender and TOI should go to the youth. If he is sent back to Utica I have to assume that management sees some aspects of his game that he has to work on in the AHL environment. Last year they challenged Gaunce and he appears to have responded. My hope is that he gets at least 40 games in Vancouver. All this aside Utica could make a real push in the Calder this year which would also benefit all the prospects that are involved.

On 2016-09-21 at 9:46 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

My fear is that Gaunce has a solid year and is plucked from us in the expansion draft.

If we took (must likely) keep safe 7 forwards

Daniel, Hank, Sutter, Horvat, Baertschi, Eriksson ....you have one spot...for Rodin, Gaunce, Granlund, Hansen and Etem.

Me thinks if Gaunce has a solid year, teams will always take a chance on a good two way big bodied forward over anything else.

We're going to lose someone that we don't want to, but only one.  It's the same for every team.  There is no way around it.  We can't protect everyone.  We should be aware of that but we shouldn't let the fear of loss dictate how we ice our best possible team now.  Fear is the only enemy.  GCG!

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2016 at 10:56 PM, BananaMash said:

I think we're going to lose Sbisa to the expansion draft, personally. His contract wont be bad financially for Vegas, and he's a decent enough top 6 defender. He could probably get middle pair minutes there.

I mean this could change if Gaunce sets the world on fire, but prime-age top-6 defensemen will probably be harder to come by.

I hope so, really hurts to develop a player and work so hard to get them to a point where they can contribute in the NHL, and we aren't the ones to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Seen Gaunce by the crease trying to bang one in but the goalie had his pad there in time, I think that's where Gaunce has to be for the greasy ones.

If Gaunce could get over his 'nice guy' play, he could be a very impactful player.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Gaunce could get over his 'nice guy' play, he could be a very impactful player.  

I'd agree. He's got the physical size to be a gritty third liner who can get things done, but he needs to be filling that role. He doesn't need to be a jerk or a fighter, but just willing to push his way around a bit more.

22 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

It might be some sort of "play me or trade me" type of thing, I don't think he has a ton of leverage besides the big body and draft pedigree, but it is a fact that he has been lost in the shuffle around here.

Watching Virtanen have the red carpet rolled out for him while Gaunce sat in Utica had to hurt. I'm sure he was thinking "I can play at least as well as Jake did last year, why the hell is he getting a shot and not me"

I wouldn't fault him for that either.

Gaunce doesn't have Jake Virtanen's combination of pure speed and size - and nobody else in the Canucks do. I'm sure that one of the main reasons why Jake was promoted was because the management wanted to see what impact that unique skillset would have on the team. Gaunce reminds me more of Bo than of Jake.

A Granlund - Gaunce - Etem line would look nice in the near future. Gaunce would play pivot and and if he could use his size and play in front of the net more combined with Etem's size and speed they could really open up room for Granlund. Hopefully by then, all three would have taken strides defensively so we could ice two "third lines" with the other being Sven, Bo, and Jake.

18 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

And putting him in over his head has the potential to ruin his confidence as well. Except there's no way to positively spin him not being at a high enough level to play in the NHL but forcing him into it anyway, where we can at least say he's on cusp and give him plenty of opportunities as a call up if we send him down.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Gaunce doesn't strike me as a fragile flower.

No, definitely not.

• Upvote 1