The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Junk yard dog is what comes to my mind when I see him. Goes in the dirty areas, isn't afraid of hits or afraid of dishing them out. He will be a solid 3rd liner who can probaly if he works really hard reach a Jordan Staal or Sutter comparison. I think he could surprise but he seems like a game changer player- plays well in big games. Just take a look at his junior numbers. Hopefully, Benning doesnt use Gaunce as trade bait because he's a unique player that plays the game the grinding way but has a decent shot and has decent hockey IQ. Eg he isn't no Higgins but he will be a perfect 3rd line guy. Comparison Jordan Staal

Never had a player like this, who goes into the dirty areas to score goals. Look at his first 1 he scored for Utica, crashed the net. Something we fans have been begging for from our players. Crash the net and get those dirty goals and this is what Gaunce is.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Never had a player like this, who goes into the dirty areas to score goals. Look at his first 1 he scored for Utica, crashed the net. Something we fans have been begging for from our players. Crash the net and get those dirty goals and this is what Gaunce is.

Mr. Horvat says hello.

• Upvote 1

As does Mr. Kesler (I know we all hate him, but...he did take a hell of a lot of punishment)

I have watched Gaunce play alot over the last few years mostly his season after he was drafted by the canucks when he played with the OHL Belleville Bulls and my view of him is he is going to be a NHL regular but I have seen him play both the wing and center at the junior level but not the AHL so maybe he has found a new comfort zone on the wing but when he was on the wing in junior I always thought he was less effective..The player Gaunce always reminded me of was a prime Sami Pahlsson type player how he was always well positioned on defence and played better in the bigger the game plus was money when left open in the slot.

He can be a beast when he is pushed!

Now that's a response.

Love how the coach gave him first unit powerplay time too. He gives him the opportunity to bounce back strong.

I remember Craig Button saying the day we drafted Gaunce was when it counts, he knows how to rise to the occassion

Gaunce to me sounds like a playoff type player

It is good that Gaunce does well in big games and when he needs to bounce back. And I have always liked Gaunce. He is big, strong, smart, and has solid offensive and defensive skills.

However, the other side of this coin is that he does not play with consistent high intensity. A guy who has room to raise his game is obviously not playing to potential most of the time. Of course, it is not possible to play at 100% intensity all the time, but it is important to give a consistently strong effort (like Horvat, Kesler, Hansen, Dorsett, etc). Especially for bottom 6 guys, providing consistent intensity is very important.

It is good that Gaunce does well in big games and when he needs to bounce back. And I have always liked Gaunce. He is big, strong, smart, and has solid offensive and defensive skills.

However, the other side of this coin is that he does not play with consistent high intensity. A guy who has room to raise his game is obviously not playing to potential most of the time. Of course, it is not possible to play at 100% intensity all the time, but it is important to give a consistently strong effort (like Horvat, Kesler, Hansen, Dorsett, etc). Especially for bottom 6 guys, providing consistent intensity is very important.

I don't agree.

Gaunce has been effective for most of the season and that was despite having to learn a new role as winger. No one as far as I know knew why he was dropped, it may have been a niggling injury.

I can also site any number of players who have a reputation of only really coming alive in the playoffs, is that such a bad thing? I would rather have that than the other way round.

However as I say Gaunce does not imo fit your profile. He has played exceptionally well, in fact was he not voted the most improved player by Utica? Hardly a testament to inconsistency.

If you want to look at patchy players then look no further than Jensen, who has a real problem with consistency to the point that his future must now be in the balance.

I have not given up on him because Green imo seems to be a terrific coach and he has elevated many of our rookie's games including Gaunce, Shink, Baertschi, Archiebald, Freisen, Corrado, Pedan and Grenier.

Junk yard dog is what comes to my mind when I see him. Goes in the dirty areas, isn't afraid of hits or afraid of dishing them out. He will be a solid 3rd liner who can probaly if he works really hard reach a Jordan Staal or Sutter comparison. I think he could surprise but he seems like a game changer player- plays well in big games. Just take a look at his junior numbers. Hopefully, Benning doesnt use Gaunce as trade bait because he's a unique player that plays the game the grinding way but has a decent shot and has decent hockey IQ. Eg he isn't no Higgins but he will be a perfect 3rd line guy. Comparison Jordan Staal

How quick did that line of Weis, Shink and Gaunce look on transition.

Would love to see Gaunce be a 4C for us next year. If he can win faceoffs, hit guys when given the opportunity and be sound defensively then I'd be happy.

I think he will be first callup unless Cassels blows him away somehow.