The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I think we all need to be patient and understand that there probably won't be an influx of youth this season. I think they'll ride this season out with the guys they have and let Gaunce, Shink, Kenins, Grenier etc have another year in Utica and really get used to carrying the lions share of the load for their team. Next year we will see a totally different lineup than this year.

Baertschi and Corrado this year, possibly Virtanen will be the infusion of youth this year.

that is still alot. 3 new players coming in from our own system in one year. Not too shabby.
  • Upvote 4

and Markstrom makes 4.

Kenins could be considered #5 if they bring him up to sit in the press box.

yes, Markstrom.....forgot about him.

as a canucks fan since 1974, it is an amazing thing to see so many young players within reach of the big club.........even more amazing to see a management group willing to develop them properly

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 4

Will be interesting to see Gaunce at main camp. He impressed me last year, and continues to impress me now. If him and Virtanen make some noise here, we may see some vets on the way out.

Although Gaunce being waiver exempt doesn't bode well. Management might think it's better to keep him in Utica as possible call up depth.

Yeah, we don't want to rush everyone into a spot just because they looked good at training camp. As with past years the young players (particularly those like Gaunce who can go to Utica) will have to outperform the vet they'd be replacing. The last thing we want is a player to come in hot then cool off only after we've traded a reliable vet to make room for them.

Yeah, we don't want to rush everyone into a spot just because they looked good at training camp. As with past years the young players (particularly those like Gaunce who can go to Utica) will have to outperform the vet they'd be replacing. The last thing we want is a player to come in hot then cool off only after we've traded a reliable vet to make room for them.

Agree......I think we'll see some extended "auditions" this season, and full implementation next season.

Will be interesting to see Gaunce at main camp. He impressed me last year, and continues to impress me now. If him and Virtanen make some noise here, we may see some vets on the way out.

Although Gaunce being waiver exempt doesn't bode well. Management might think it's better to keep him in Utica as possible call up depth.

That would make the most sense. He is a big body and has developed his game to the point where he is almost ready to step in and that would be better than having to call up someone who is not physically ready for the wear and tear of the NHL. Rushing players simply to get younger is not a good strategy.

Really happy that Gaunce is finally getting the recognition he deserves. IMO he's higher up the depth chart than Virtanen (no knock on Virtanen who's amazing in his own). Looks like he managed to pick some size and foot speed in the past year which is exciting because it means he put on a lot of muscle. He's probably closer to 6'3" 220lbs now. Gillis picks finally making their way and inching ever so close to the NHL. Pretty excited about this kid!

• Upvote 4

Yeah I'm a bit worried about Gaunce's development. Some prospects, when they are nearly or are ready to join the big club but due to circumstances, they are sent to the minors, it could result in a setback in terms of development (and surely would hurt their morale).

As much as I want Virtanen to make the team, if Gaunce shows that he is better than Virtanen, Gaunce should make the team over Virtanen (if it comes to that). I'm sure the Canucks management will do the right thing.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about Gaunce's development. Some prospects, when they are nearly or are ready to join the big club but due to circumstances, they are sent to the minors, it could result in a setback in terms of development (and surely would hurt their morale).

As much as I want Virtanen to make the team, if Gaunce shows that he is better than Virtanen, Gaunce should make the team over Virtanen (if it comes to that). I'm sure the Canucks management will do the right thing.

It's not like he was a top line player for them all year long. If he goes back to Utica, he'll be a second year pro and will start in a role with more responsibility than he had last year. He'll continue to be challenged.

It's not like he was a top line player for them all year long. If he goes back to Utica, he'll be a second year pro and will start in a role with more responsibility than he had last year. He'll continue to be challenged.

More offensive responsibility would be great for his overall development. Maybe he'll get some time at centre too. There's still plenty of things for him to be working on down there before he gets called up, which will happen this year.

i was hoping gaunce would use his size more and be more physical when entering the offensive zone. Maybe he will play that way in the pre season but at the young stars tournament he rarely made any contact with the opposition.

With his size, he needs to play that way to be ultra effective and push for a spot in the next year or 2

i was hoping gaunce would use his size more and be more physical when entering the offensive zone. Maybe he will play that way in the pre season but at the young stars tournament he rarely made any contact with the opposition.

With his size, he needs to play that way to be ultra effective and push for a spot in the next year or 2

Yes, excellent point. I'm guessing, but maybe that's why the Canucks switched him to wing, to force him to be more involved?

• Upvote 1

Why would he be physical with the puck, on the attack? I did see him pretty hard on the forecheck, as well as makeseveral hard drives to the net. That said, hes not a "hitter", he uses his body to protect the puck Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

Why would he be physical with the puck, on the attack? I did say him pretty hard on the forecheck, as well as several hard drives to the net. That said, hes not a "hitter", he uses his body to protect the puck

i agree, he uses his size to get and keep possession of the puck, which is more important in some respects.

by forchecking and using your size to hit the defence it makes they rush the pass ever so much faster and that could turn into a golden scoring chance.

Obviously im saying for him to use his discretion but wearing down the defence with physicality is never a bad thing

In the two games played in the prospects tourney he drove the net hard, had great puck protection and a lot of plays he started ended with a shot on net, by him or a linemate.

I like his hockey iq, his size, his determination to make the big club, but most of all he seems classy! Just like Trevor Linden was (still is)