The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

"If I expect a surprise, is it still really a surprise? In this case, I think it’s Brendan Gaunce who’s going to surprise everyone. If he can become even an average skater, Gaunce is capable of putting up somewhere between 10-15 goals a season. He’s far too smart a player to remain this unproductive." - J.D. Burke

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/07/17/canucks-army-monday-mailbag-july-17th/

:picard:

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

:picard:

It's been the knock on him from the beginning, and I honestly don't recall back in the day since he's been in the the system for a while, but he looked plenty quick out there last season, imo.

Edited by kloubek

On 7/15/2017 at 5:46 PM, Salmonberries said:

A one year two way deal seems fair to me.

I don't think it would be fair after Chaput got a one way. 

Other than offence, Gaunce did everything he was asked to do for the Canucks last season.  He rarely played in the o-zone and his wingers were less than mediocre goal scorers.  Chances are, Gaunce's game will improve under the coaching of Green and his staff.  He has become a decent goal scorer during each level he's played so far and I think there's a good possibility that will continue in the NHL.

Maybe he gets a 1 year 'show me' contract, but I doubt it will be 2 way.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Other than offence, Gaunce did everything he was asked to do for the Canucks last season.  He rarely played in the o-zone and his wingers were less than mediocre goal scorers.  Chances are, Gaunce's game will improve under the coaching of Green and his staff.  He has become a decent goal scorer during each level he's played so far and I think there's a good possibility that will continue in the NHL.

A one way deal similar to the one Chaput got might be fair. He would be an impact player in Utica and he does have a chance to make the Canucks out of camp as well.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, a 1 or 2 year one-way contract seems the most likely.

• Upvote 1

He will likely score a decent 10 to 15 goal level in NHL if given the chance  as he can move at NHL pace and has great possession numbers to go with his game.   He scored decently in junior with seasons of 28, 33 and 31 goals followed by 11 and then 17 (28 prorated to full season) in AHL.   If he gets decent minutes, hard to see that level of offence drying up over time given he is only likely to improve still given his age.   Who knows for any player but this one has the tools to make it happen. 

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He will likely score a decent 10 to 15 goal level in NHL if given the chance  as he can move at NHL pace and has great possession numbers to go with his game.   He scored decently in junior with seasons of 28, 33 and 31 goals followed by 11 and then 17 (28 prorated to full season) in AHL.   If he gets decent minutes, hard to see that level of offence drying up over time given he is only likely to improve still given his age.   Who knows for any player but this one has the tools to make it happen. 

I have 'great expectations' for Gaunce's upcoming season. He played a OK physical game last year but I would hope he amps that up a bit. His ppg will come. He was hitting posts and cross bars on a regular basis last year. My take on Gaunce is his great ability to read the play. A year's experience will stand him in good stead. 

10 hours ago, nzan said:

^ and his new coach used to use him as more than just a fourth liner

In the AHL. The NHL is a different beast. That said I do believe that Green will be looking to give Gaunce a shot at the third line at some point. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really,  really rooting for this kid as I've watched him since before his draft year in Bellville. 

That said however I have to be realistic with my expectations. The fact that he significantly improved his numbers in 3 consecutive seasons in the ahl (extrapolating his 3rd year numbers) is a very good sign that he's learning his craft.   However,  it seems he's not just yet figured out how to translate that to the next level which is a concern because although he's not a liability out there,  he's not very physical for his size nor does he play with any kind of edge - leaving the question as to what he really contributes to the overall team that someone else doesn't already contribute on a slightly higher level? 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, PlanB said:

I'm really,  really rooting for this kid as I've watched him since before his draft year in Bellville. 

That said however I have to be realistic with my expectations. The fact that he significantly improved his numbers in 3 consecutive seasons in the ahl (extrapolating his 3rd year numbers) is a very good sign that he's learning his craft.   However,  it seems he's not just yet figured out how to translate that to the next level which is a concern because although he's not a liability out there,  he's not very physical for his size nor does he play with any kind of edge - leaving the question as to what he really contributes to the overall team that someone else doesn't already contribute on a slightly higher level? 

He is very good defensively and has potential to be an elite shutdown forward. Once he gets better linemates and more minutes the points with come naturally. 

His shot suppression numbers are upper echelon. Also, consider he was only a -2 (second best +/- on the team for regular forwards) while generating virtually no offence. If he can eat minutes and prevent the opposing team from scoring, considering how horrible our goal differential is that is definitely contributing. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Looking forward to seeing how Coach Green works with Gaunce this year. Also looking forward to see how badly Brendan wants it this year.

I believe he has to fight for his goals as he's not the most skillful scoring threat.

I see Gaunce as literally needing to fight to carve out an NHL career.  He is going to need to play the Tanner Glass role.  I was hoping he could become a Malholtra player, but Gaunce might not be quick enough to do that, so that leaves the Glass role.  He is a big boy though, so "bopping" could work.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see Gaunce as literally needing to fight to carve out an NHL career.  He is going to need to play the Tanner Glass role.  I was hoping he could become a Malholtra player, but Gaunce might not be quick enough to do that, so that leaves the Glass role.  He is a big boy though, so "bopping" could work.

If that is the case he needs to get lean and mean, and hit the weightroom. Angular musculature-- lose the babyface --and get some crash an bang attitude (he's big enough)

On 7/22/2017 at 7:56 AM, PlanB said:

Actually, in the last few games he played when he was put up to the third line, I thought he really started to show something.  He was generating offense and was extremely unfortunate to not score on several occasions.  At that time I think he was already injured, too.  Still maintain he becomes a solid third-liner or even middle-six, in the model of a Chris Higgins -- solid all-round two-way player who can PK and chip in some offense, with the added aspect of being a C and with good FO% developing.

• Upvote 3

Derek Dorsett scores 4 points in 14 games last year.  Alex Biega has 11 points in 94 NHL games.  Brendan Gaunce has 6 points in 77 NHL games.  Not seeing a positive in even keeping him at the NHL level.  He is the poster boy for not "earning" his spot. He doesn't offer any proven intangibles, just potential like so many others.

I just don't see why he should be gifted anything.  Send him to the AHL, I honestly think if he is going to find his game it will be there. I think it is actually in his best interest to find his "niche" if he can in the AHL, for his long term success in the NHL.

There are players that are better options for the Canucks.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1