The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Agreed he’s in tough, but he can’t just stay down without waivers.

Honestly I don’t know he might clear waivers I don’t think so but waivers are different then they were a few years ago especially pre salary cap.

i like to see gagner moved to make room but nobody is going to touch that contract same for Ericson. 

Brumistrovs been good but may be the odd man out just because he’s cheap.

grandlunds kinda wasted on the fourth line to so again gagner moved solves two problems gaunce get in and grandlund moves up to the third line.

Hope we don’t lose gaunce he’s better than what we saw in his very limited role last season.

10 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

He has a no movement clause doesn't he?

Does a NMC prevent a team from sending a player to the AHL? I don't think so. The other option is to buy him out. I still have not given up on Ericksson. His contract demands more ppg but I thought his defensive play would carry him on the backside of his contract. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Does a NMC prevent a team from sending a player to the AHL? I don't think so. The other option is to buy him out. I still have not given up on Ericksson. His contract demands more ppg but I thought his defensive play would carry him on the backside of his contract. 

It does. That's the difference between a ntc and a nmc.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:33 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Real excited for those 0 goals. Just what the Canucks need another grinder.

Who needs skill when you have Sutter and Dorsett line scoring right?

Meanwhile Boucher and Goldobin buried in the minors...

Gaunce has to be better for sure, but its obvious that WD killed Gaunce's game. He used him only as a low minute 4th line C who wasnt encouraged to be free on the ice, and his only mission was to not get scored on. As a young player, you listen to your coach to earn his trust and then rise the ranks, except WD preferred giving opportunities to Megna (barf) and Chaput (a little less barf / i kinda like him as a 13th Forward). Gaunce wasnt able to be creative, or apply anything he had developped in the 2 seasons prior in Utica. He grew a lot from junior to his 2nd AHL year and if we get a glimpse of that gaunce in the NHL, we will all be very happy.  He doesnt need to score a lot, but he needs to shape his game ala Malhotra. 

• Upvote 1

Gaunce has looked really good down in Utica. Was probably their best player last night. 3 GP, 2G, 1A, 3PTS, 8SOG.

No matter who he plays with up with the Canucks, they will be better than who he played with last year. I expect him to prove that he is a solid bottom 6 forward who can produce some offense as well as being very good defensively. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Figured he'd be getting in sooner than later.  Like Biega, Travis knows him very well and trusts him.

I thought Gaunce had a great game considering the length of time out. Lots of TOI with Sutter and Dorsett. Great skater with an obvious defensive posture. Considering it was his 1st game this season his d-side caution should have been expected. His size is very noticeable I wish he was a tad meaner. Is he a 3rd line shutdown player? I am hoping so.  We need the size.  

Edited by Boudrias

That first shift was good to see, a hit on Jagr right away followed by a takeaway, and he played fairly well from there. Sure, he's not Stamkos or anything but he will start to get some goals and add to his worth in other areas of the ice.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2017 at 7:27 AM, Boudrias said:

I thought Gaunce had a great game considering the length of time out. Lots of TOI with Sutter and Dorsett. Great skater with an obvious defensive posture. Considering it was his 1st game this season his d-side caution should have been expected. His size is very noticeable I wish he was a tad meaner. Is he a 3rd line shutdown player? I am hoping so.  We need the size.  

I think he is.  Green got a lot out of Gaunce in his final year in Utica and he obviously trusts him enough to give him huge minutes in his first game back from injury.  I hope they haven't given up on him as a C and that Manny is still working with him.  I suspect we will see some offensive game from him this season, as he certainly had it in Utica.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:27 AM, Boudrias said:

You need to put up some points to be a third line player... Honestly hes looking like a 4th line fill in/AHL 1st liner. Hes now played an entire season of games now (granted over 3 seasons) at the NHL level and has 1 goal (which hit him in the foot and went in) and 5 assists.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, Boudrias said:

Linden Vey was more productive.  Gaunce doesn't utilize his size.  Gaunce has no offensive upside to his game at the NHL level and is always one step behind the play. It's time to move on and give someone else a chance.   

19 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Linden Vey was more productive.  Gaunce doesn't utilize his size.  Gaunce has no offensive upside to his game at the NHL level and is always one step behind the play. It's time to move on and give someone else a chance.   

At what point does excellent defense earn you a spot regardless of offense? If Gaunce becomes Vancouver's best defensive forward at some point, does he still earn a roster spot, even with 5 points per season?