The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

15 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Gaunce is light years better than Archie.  Archie 'at times' can be tougher but overall not even close.  Gaunce is fast, better defensively, better offensive upside [it he ever gets a chance], better hockey IQ and the ideal teammate team player.  He is a mini me Bo with less talent.  I like Archie as a depth player but he is also well past his best due date.

In my opinion there is nothing at all similar between Bo Horvat and Gaunce. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence ever again!

Love Gaunce. Had the pleasure of working with him for a whole day during a video shoot and he's a lot more extroverted than he seems. It seems as though his window might be closing- more so to do with others coming in hot than him simply not being good enough. If not here, I do hope he finds his way somewhere else, he deserves it. Albeit I'm still rooting for him to make it here. You go Brendan!

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's the thing. Gaunce is likely the better overall player (though without looking at the actual numbers I'm going to guess Archie actually has more scoring). And Gaunce has youth and upside in his favour. But is that what you want from your 13th/14th F...?

It's definitely arguable.

They were surprisingly close in points-per-game last year. Archie had 0.19 and Gaunce had 0.16.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

They were surprisingly close in points-per-game last year. Archie had 0.19 and Gaunce had 0.16.

Archie is far more physical and has better net presence.. I’d keep Archie over Guance,.  and Guadette over Guance.

Unless Guance shows excellent and stands out in the remainder of pre season, he is for sure waived to Utica,.  Perhaps sooner than later in hopes  not to see him lost to another team, and keep him developing with us. 

The timing of his  injury last season has interfered with the timing of his development.  

Hope he sticks, hopes he becomes the player we all see in him.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

Malhotra was one of the best in face offs!!!

Eventually he became one of the best in face offs. But in his first 4 NHL seasons he never had a season where he won even 45 % in the circle. And in the 222 games he played in those four seasons, he collected a combined total of 42 points. It's a little too soon to be writing Gaunce off.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Eventually he became one of the best in face offs. But in his first 4 NHL seasons he never had a season where he won even 45 % in the circle. And in the 222 games he played in those four seasons, he collected a combined total of 42 points. It's a little too soon to be writing Gaunce off.

Manny struggled for 7 years and played for two teams before finding his home with the Jackets.  I'm pretty sure he was considered a bust by NYR and  Dallas, considering he was a 7th overall pick.  A late bloomer indeed.

I doubt Gaunce will ever play C in the NHL, but he may find his scoring touch enough to get 25-30 pts,  and along with his defensive acumen, he very well could be a regular in the NHL. I don't know if he can achieve that playing for the Canucks, where he is mostly assigned with defensive coverage along with linemates that have little offensive upside.

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Archie is far more physical and has better net presence.. I’d keep Archie over Guance,.  and Guadette over Guance.

Unless Guance shows excellent and stands out in the remainder of pre season, he is for sure waived to Utica,.  Perhaps sooner than later in hopes  not to see him lost to another team, and keep him developing with us. 

The timing of his  injury last season has interfered with the timing of his development.  

Hope he sticks, hopes he becomes the player we all see in him.

Arch may have better net presence than Gaunce, but he doesn't have anywhere near the consistency.  How may seasons have we seen Arch join the team, guns a blazing, only to fizzle out after a dozen games?  I Gaunce doesn't make the team, I doubt Arch does either.

Guadette is not in competition for Gaunce's position and will likely head to Utica for awhile.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Gaunce is light years better than Archie.  Archie 'at times' can be tougher but overall not even close.  Gaunce is fast, better defensively, better offensive upside [it he ever gets a chance], better hockey IQ and the ideal teammate team player.  He is a mini me Bo with less talent.  I like Archie as a depth player but he is also well past his best due date.

I saw Gaunce pass up a hit in the corner 2 games ago, he skated right past the guy behind the goalie. I also saw Archie nail Muzzin... Muzzin is a huge guy and Archie laid him out flat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Manny struggled for 7 years and played for two teams before finding his home with the Jackets.  I'm pretty sure he was considered a bust by NYR and  Dallas, considering he was a 7th overall pick.  A late bloomer indeed.

I doubt Gaunce will ever play C in the NHL, but he may find his scoring touch enough to get 25-30 pts,  and along with his defensive acumen, he very well could be a regular in the NHL. I don't know if he can achieve that playing for the Canucks, where he is mostly assigned with defensive coverage along with linemates that have little offensive upside.

Arch may have better net presence than Gaunce, but he doesn't have anywhere near the consistency.  How may seasons have we seen Arch join the team, guns a blazing, only to fizzle out after a dozen games?  I Gaunce doesn't make the team, I doubt Arch does either.

Guadette is not in competition for Gaunce's position and will likely head to Utica for awhile.

If Guance hadn’t have been clipped by a stick tonight, I would not have noticed him out there.

Not much going on .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

On 22/09/2018 at 6:38 PM, higgyfan said:

Manny made the NHL as an 18 year old. That rookie season he played 73 games and had 8 goals and 8 assists. More goals and assists than Gaunce has at 24 in 112 NHL games. At 23 (the same age as Gaunce last season) Malhotra played 56 NHL games and had 12 goals and 13 assists. Gaunce can only dream.

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I hope he clears waivers, he will crush it in the AHL. That Utica team is going to be unstoppable.

Indeed. He should be a middle 6 force down there. Happy to see Gaudette down too, they've got F depth out their collective whazzoo now.