The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

It didn't seem to hurt the creativity of Kesler or Burrows (amongst many other current NHL'ers) to play third/fourth line minutes early in their careers. Especially on decent teams with great leaders. If this year doesn't pan out between the NHL and the World Juniors for Bo he can play in the AHL next season. I don't really see it as a lost year.

Another year in Junior would have been a waste in my opinion. I don't think sendng him back to dominate the league against boys would have furthered his game much. In fact it could have created some bad habits. The NHL is based on team defense first if you want to be successful in the playoffs.

Bo will refine his defensive game (PK) and face off skills while playing with capable NHL wingers. I see him as potentially a lesser Steve Yzerman (I know he's not Steve Y). Strong on the defensive side of the puck leading to scoring chances on turnovers, or puck control goals by being able to hold the puck.

You learn that at the NHL level against NHL competition..

Kesler never really had offensive creativity.

Burrows's creativity is the result of playing on a line with two eventual Art Ross winners and probably the two best playmakers the Canucks have had in their franchise history.

I think Bo has better offensive awareness than Kesler for sure - maybe Burrows as well. I don't think going back would have hurt though because he'd play with a lot of 19 year olds and it would have been a great chance to win with a mature team. That being said, his offense (what he has already) wouldn't be hindered by playing with guys like Hansen and Dorsett who are pretty good for "4th liners".

He'll just have to work his way up the line like Kes and Burr but hopefully he gets to play with some creative linemates along the line like Burrows.

As someone mentioned yesterday, much more fun to watch this team when they're shuffling in some youth.

Seems we'll be seeing 1 or 2 emerging kids(at least), brought along each season, from here on out.

Also like that the franchise looks to be adopting more of a straight-on, NA'n style identity, featuring speedy youth. Very easy to cheer for.

As someone mentioned yesterday, much more fun to watch this team when they're shuffling in some youth.

Seems we'll be seeing 1 or 2 emerging kids(at least), brought along each season, from here on out.

Also like that the franchise looks to be adopting more of a straight-on, NA'n style identity, featuring speedy youth. Very easy to cheer for.

As long as fans can wrap their heads around the idea that some prospects are developed to the point where their trade value is increased to be able to upgrade your roster with proven vets.

Likely, not all of our current prospects who make the NHL will make it with us.

If we're close and we can take a run then I want the GM to ice the best team he can with his available assets rather than stagnating certain players because we don't have room for 4 rookies at a time.

Gillis went that way.

I see Benning having a proclivity for talent,regardless of birth place.

Tryamkin

Forsling

Pedan

Yeah, I was thinking about that too..guess we're gonna need a larger sample size than 1 draft; likely though JB will be casting nets wherever he can.

I'm interested to see the team he, TL & WD design, over 3 to 4 yr window.

As long as fans can wrap their heads around the idea that some prospects are developed to the point where their trade value is increased to be able to upgrade your roster with proven vets.

Likely, not all of our current prospects who make the NHL will make it with us.

If we're close and we can take a run then I want the GM to ice the best team he can with his available assets rather than stagnating certain players because we don't have room for 4 rookies at a time.

Ironic we need to ponder such options, after all the mindless bleating about 'closing windows'...

Good for Bo. He was on the bubble and he found a way to stick with the big club. Apparently Linden had a talk with him and told him not to worry about the 9 game window. He told him to just play his game. He responded with a very good game against Anaheim and a great game against Chicago. Benning said that he was game to game and those two games were the difference. He wasn't gifted a spot, he earned it.

Wow! I've been wrong more times this season than all of last season. Maybe that's a good thing. I thought that Sestito would start over Vey. I thought that Richardson would be our 4th line center and Matthias would be our 3rd. I also thought that the Juniors window was on the 2nd rather than the 12th. I still think he will go the World Juniors. I don't count Bo staying as being wrong because I predicted in the pre-season that he would be given 9 games to try and stick.

Time to close this thread. Bo's not a prospect any more.

i think many would disagree, but regardless this thread provides a great place for people to talk about Bo and judging by the last 3 weeks there is lots of people who wish to express their opinion on his play and role regardless if he is a "prospect" or not.