The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Shhhh. 

This doesn't fit the Bo is useless narrative.

Bo was pretty useless outside of his face-offs on opening night of our "unfinished business" season. Seems like Bo captain my captain is fine with business as usual, meaning missing the playoffs. It's only 1 game but it was highly disappointing. 

6 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Bo was pretty useless outside of his face-offs on opening night of our "unfinished business" season. Seems like Bo captain my captain is fine with business as usual, meaning missing the playoffs. It's only 1 game but it was highly disappointing. 

Change your name.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Change your name.

The majority of my disappointment comes from the fact that I love the player so much. His nonchalance was very hard to watch, especially game 1 of a season where we're trying to prove everybody wrong and be taken seriously, and our team for the first 25 minutes is firing on all cylinders, except for Bo. I'm sure he'll bounce back but it was brutal. 

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The majority of my disappointment comes from the fact that I love the player so much. His nonchalance was very hard to watch, especially game 1 of a season where we're trying to prove everybody wrong and be taken seriously, and our team for the first 25 minutes is firing on all cylinders, except for Bo. I'm sure he'll bounce back but it was brutal. 

Brutal is way overstating things. Consider that it was the first game of the season as well as the fact that Bo missed the final 12 games of last season and still was a beast on faceoffs and had 3 shots on goal.

Pre season is one thing but when a player has a lengthy absence it will take a game or two to get their timeing back on par with the speed of the NH in regular season action.

I've been a big Bo guy even before he was drafted by the Canucks. I've screamed for him to be the captain for years and have backed him even when perhaps he didn't deserve defending. He has been my guy ever since I knew of him as a player.

But his slow apathetic start in the preseason and indifferent play to start this season has really irked me. I want to believe that he will find his way out of this funk and show what he can be. I haven't liked his body language on the ice and the same cliches he throws out in every interview. I want to see some fire and gumption from Bo. He keeps saying he is tired of losing, wants to win, and is hungry to be in the playoffs, well go and show me then.

I'm not at the point of questioning his leadership...YET. But I am growing concern the losing culture he has been repetitively been exposed to has led to indifference and losing that passion to win. Maybe its the contract issue that is causing distraction for him. I'm not hitting the panic mode, but anymore of this apathetic play style, will give me pause whether I want him back long term with this team. I love Bo, but I want this team to win, whether that is with or without him here.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

On 10/14/2022 at 3:25 PM, GB5 said:

Brutal is way overstating things. Consider that it was the first game of the season as well as the fact that Bo missed the final 12 games of last season and still was a beast on faceoffs and had 3 shots on goal.

Pre season is one thing but when a player has a lengthy absence it will take a game or two to get their timeing back on par with the speed of the NH in regular season action.

I just want to see a pulse.  

I'm getting sick and tired of the nice guy who quietly leads by example.  When's the last time that Bo finished a check and put someone on the ground with the hit?  

I think you have to go back at least a year or three, in a game against Boston where he fought a Bruin.  

On 10/14/2022 at 7:32 AM, 73 Percent said:

Shhhh. 

This doesn't fit the Bo is useless narrative.

Bo is definitely not useless, far from it. I know you aren’t being totally serious. But the main issues have been people getting tired of his leadership style. I have loved what he brings to our team year after year. He is what he is, a great 2nd line center IMO…I honestly think he would thrive if he wasn’t the captain anymore. Kinda like when Luongo gave it up, it was a distraction to him. Once he passed it on he started playing better again. 

That all being said, contract wise his demands aren’t realistic at all. The team has committed to JT. I think with all due respect to Bo it’s time for a change and he could fetch us a very good defenceman in return. Great player, but different paths have now been set. That’s just the reality of it.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Bo is definitely not useless, far from it. I know you aren’t being totally serious. But the main issues have been people getting tired of his leadership style. I have loved what he brings to our team year after year. He is what he is, a great 2nd line center IMO…I honestly think he would thrive if he wasn’t the captain anymore. Kinda like when Luongo gave it up, it was a distraction to him. Once he passed it on he started playing better again. 

That all being said, contract wise his demands aren’t realistic at all. The team has committed to JT. I think with all due respect to Bo it’s time for a change and he could fetch us a very good defenceman in return. Great player, but different paths have now been set. That’s just the reality of it.

."I have to put my head down and be the best leader I can" - Horvat

I have always thought that the leadership/captain burden was a curse for Horvat.

He was anointed "future captain" way back on the day he was drafted.

That was still during the Gillis era.

there has never been a natural progression for Horvat to be captain, it has always been preordained.

It is almost as bad as Brian Burke saying Kevin Weekes was his "Goalie of the future", not that bad, but still bad

I have always thought that some day Horvat will be a Bruin, and he will fit in as a rich mans Charlie Coyle

More of a 2nd line C than a 3rd, but a guy that after the captaincy is lifted and just fits in and plays.

It will be good for his career.

the fact that Horvat talks about being a leader, to me shows that it takes up too much space on his plate.

below is a sample of Sid on being a leader, more about doing than talking

Sid was pretty young at that point, but sounded almost embarrassed to be talking about it

I still think Bo is a good player, but like Luongo, will be freed when he is moved and not burdened by the C

• Vintage 1

I won't lie, although I don't like what I've seen from Bo in these last two games, remember that it's just two games. What if Bo scores 3 points tonight? The entire narrative changes on a dime. If a narrative can change that quickly, it might be worth considering the validity of the narrative.

As bad as Bo has been, if we were to trade him we're basically relying on Petey and Miller to carry this team and as good as Petey is and can be, I worry about Miller.

We need these 3 rotating around but maybe it's time to play one of the guys on the wing. I'd like to see Petey alongside Miller or Bo for a bit if we keep sucking defensively because Petey really does add some defensive awareness to any line he's on.

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I won't lie, although I don't like what I've seen from Bo in these last two games, remember that it's just two games. What if Bo scores 3 points tonight? The entire narrative changes on a dime. If a narrative can change that quickly, it might be worth considering the validity of the narrative.

Does It GIFs | Tenor

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Does It GIFs | Tenor

I personally think it does, but to each their own. It has amazed me in years past how quickly the mood can change with a two-game win streak when the team is losing and I think that is a macrocosm of what can happen to a player as well.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I personally think it does, but to each their own. It has amazed me in years past how quickly the mood can change with a two-game win streak when the team is losing and I think that is a macrocosm of what can happen to a player as well.

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. I'm mostly poking fun. 

Media is flip floppy, fanbase is flip floppy. Some of it's serious, some of it's people taking the piss. 

I do question whether a single game is enough to change the narrative though, the trade Bo bit was bubbling last season prior to his second half tear and it's been gradually getting that way again since the start of preseason. Sports fans are often fickle. 

• Cheers 1