The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, I'm of the mind that you never actually know until you see the list. Myers is a good defenseman for the team, and I'm fine with him being protected as he's shown his worth already. 

Never said Gadjovich over Myers. Just would prefer that the team not lose Gadjovich as I think his potential is untapped still. For me, it would be perfect if Seattle chose Bowey, Virtanen, or Holtby. 

Well in this case you can be 99.999% certain. They can’t afford to lose Myers at this stage.

Gadjovich would be the only other player they would even think of protecting. They’re not using a spot on Highmore or Bowey, no chance. So therefore it’s Myers or Gadjovich. Pretty easy choice.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t need insider info, it’s just common sense. Who would you protect instead of Myers?

No team is gonna protect Gadjovich over Myers. That would be very poor asset management. You could get a decent return for Myers in a trade, not to mention he’d be hard to replace.

100%.  The idea that we wouldn't protect Myers was always crazy, part of the rage-driven blame game that affects a portion of our fan base to the point where they can't think straight.  We need more, not less, of the physical element he brings.

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

100%.  The idea that we wouldn't protect Myers was always crazy, part of the rage-driven blame game that affects a portion of our fan base to the point where they can't think straight.  We need more, not less, of the physical element he brings.

I mean we may have if we acquired another defenseman before expansion but it doesn’t look like that’s happening.

At this point with Edler and Hamonic potentially leaving we can’t lose another top 4 D man. We’d only have two legit ones left.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I think the fact that Myers had a pretty strong season factors in quite a bit. His contract is not at all cheap and based on how he played in 2019-20, it was looking close to an Eriksson 2.0 deal, but he played a lot better this year, making his deal not as bad and definitely making him worth protecting. Hopefully he keeps his level of play up.

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Frankly, I'm relieved to hear Edler is hitting the open market.  Looks like Benning made his best offer and it wasn't good enough for Edler.  Fine, bring on the future.  A left side of Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi was always where we were headed.  Now we get to see it in action for a year with a chance to address it next summer (if needed) when we'll have the cap to do so.  Great to see Benning setting a walk-away point like this:  kudos to him. 

Yeah, time to see what the team has with these prospects; and looking forward to what Shaw can do with these players development.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, The Lock said:

The way I see it though, it's easy to have a hyper-focus on the team you love. You see this with fans of other teams as well where we would look at them and it might not seem as big of a deal.

I've heard so many fans of other teams at this point state how they feel our future looks bright given our drafting, so is nit-picking every little detail at that point worth it? Personally, I just don't have the time nor the energy to worry about every little detail that's gone on. It doesn't bring anyone any value. It's diminishing returns.

I'm seeing a trend here it feels like, after 94 came the dark days and Messier was not fun, took 16 years to eventually get back there and fans still question the GM for how he did it. Last year watching some games got a dark days vibe again, at least no toxic players like Messier, but it definitely got a dark days vibe watching them a bit this year and did not like that. We're 10 years past our last opportunity, and we're still not a playoff team, at least the last time they went through this they we're a playoff team for a while before 2011, I'm not seeing that this time yet....

Let's take a look at how Benning really matches up, imo it's horrible. 

Pat Quinn 10 years 

Stanley Cup Appearance

1 Conference title

2 Division titles

7 Playoff appearances

Brian Burke 6 years

1 Division title

4 Playoff appearances

Mike Gillis 6 years

Stanley Cup appearance

2 President Trophies

1 Conference title

5 Division titles

5 Playoff appearances

Jim Benning 7 years and counting...

2 playoff appearances

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm seeing a trend here it feels like, after 94 came the dark days and Messier was not fun, took 16 years to eventually get back there and fans still question the GM for how he did it. Last year watching some games got a dark days vibe again, at least no toxic players like Messier, but it definitely got a dark days vibe watching them a bit this year and did not like that. We're 10 years past our last opportunity, and we're still not a playoff team, at least the last time they went through this they we're a playoff team for a while before 2011, I'm not seeing that this time yet....

Pat Quinn 10 years 

Stanley Cup Appearance

1 Conference title

2 Division titles

7 Playoff appearances

Brian Burke 6 years

1 Division title

4 Playoff appearances

Mike Gillis 6 years

Stanley Cup appearance

2 President Trophies

1 Conference title

5 Division titles

5 Playoff appearances

2 playoff appearances

Okay, when you put it like that, it don’t look so good, but what’s this got to do with Edler? :frantic:

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pat Quinn 10 years 

Stanley Cup Appearance

1 Conference title

2 Division titles

7 Playoff appearances

Brian Burke 6 years

1 Division title

4 Playoff appearances

Mike Gillis 6 years

Stanley Cup appearance

2 President Trophies

1 Conference title

5 Division titles

5 Playoff appearances

2 playoff appearances

Actually, if you look at the times before the 2000's, we were a terrible team overall, only ever reaching the finals by fluke and missing most playoffs for the 1st 30 years. If you consider that, the overall trend is still upwards. I dare you to look at our record from the 70's and 80's.

We also won't know how Benning matches up until later on when we've seen the effects of his tenure here. You didn't even include Nonis in your analysis for whatever reason as most of Gillis' team was made by Nonis.

Some of the media that suggests Edler wants to go play for a cup. LOL

That has never been on the top of his list. Why would an NHL team on a cup run want Edler?  That ship has sailed.

The truth is probably that Edler has made an agreement but they don't want to sign him until after the ED. Or they low balled him and have other plans.  

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Actually, if you look at the times before the 2000's, we were a terrible team overall, only ever reaching the finals by fluke and missing most playoffs for the 1st 30 years. If you consider that, the overall trend is still upwards. I dare you to look at our record from the 70's and 80's.

We also won't know how Benning matches up until later on when we've seen the effects of his tenure here. You didn't even include Nonis in your analysis for whatever reason as most of Gillis' team was made by Nonis.

No I'm comparing Benning to the actual good GMs to see where he fits, because a lot of people still are trying to defend Benning as a good GM, so I wanted to compare him to the other Canuck GMs who have been successful or considered good here. Even a guy like Burke who came in after Keenan and was still able to make the playoffs 4 out of his 6 years here, after drafting the Sedins as well. But a guy like Benning who has been here 7 years and only 2 playoff appearances(one luckily due to covid season stoppage) and this team is still supposedly a couple years away still, how is Benning even considered a good GM here tbh... He's just not as good as some believe period.

30 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pat Quinn 10 years 

Stanley Cup Appearance

1 Conference title

2 Division titles

7 Playoff appearances

Brian Burke 6 years

1 Division title

4 Playoff appearances

Mike Gillis 6 years

Stanley Cup appearance

2 President Trophies

1 Conference title

5 Division titles

5 Playoff appearances

2 playoff appearances

This team has paid for the Burke/Nonis and Gillis teams because of those successes, and taking late round picks. Name one on the roster from that era. Poor drafting from '06 to Horvat, and that cost a damn good goalie prospect at the time. Only in the last 5 years have we seen the results of good drafting. EP, Hughes, Boeser, and that's just the start. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pat Quinn 10 years 

Stanley Cup Appearance

1 Conference title

2 Division titles

7 Playoff appearances

Brian Burke 6 years

1 Division title

4 Playoff appearances

Mike Gillis 6 years

Stanley Cup appearance

2 President Trophies

1 Conference title

5 Division titles

5 Playoff appearances

2 playoff appearances

Yeah, Gillis has all the trophies and JB has the picks to perhaps give him the one trophy that trumps them all - fingers crossed.

29 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

This team has paid for the Burke/Nonis and Gillis teams because of those successes, and taking late round picks. Name one on the roster from that era. Poor drafting from '06 to Horvat, and that cost a damn good goalie prospect at the time. Only in the last 5 years have we seen the results of good drafting. EP, Hughes, Boeser, and that's just the start. 

Really so the only reason Benning isn't as good as some of the previous GMs is because they made it harder for him... That's the excuse people are going with.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Has any of his picks in the last few years been injured at all....

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Not sure what you mean but my point, is that the young core JB was able to build will perhaps give the Canucks a good chance of competing for a cup.  Ofcourse, there are no guarantees - so who knows; and it will be our descendants to witness the Canucks winning the cup