The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, he and Tanev reunited as well. They'd probably play on separate pairings but he'd be a perfect fit.

If Edler turns around and asks for a 1.5M contract 1 year deal, would we say yes? I would in a heart-beat.

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Myers

Rathbone - Edler?

Juolevi/Hamonic?

I think Edler will seek a 2 year, 3M+ deal and to be fair he deserves 3M. His advanced stats were still surprisingly good and still logged big minutes.

Zero goals fancy stats don’t mean a whole bunch if you can’t score

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I can appreciate the sentiment. He's declining quickly. But I feel even for depth and leadership he's still useful if the price is low enough. For his sake, I'd really like to see him retire a Canuck but it can't come at a cost which handcuffs us.

I think his supposed 'decline' this year is HIGHLY overstated. A lot of context and circumstance there.

He had a pretty stellar year the season prior, while playing the hardest minutes on the team. I do expect he continues to slow marginally, with age, but he likely still has a few guys years in him, under FAR less difficult/ideal circumstances than this year.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think his supposed 'decline' this year is HIGHLY overstated. A lot of context and circumstance there.

He had a pretty stellar year the season prior, while playing the hardest minutes on the team. I do expect he continues to slow marginally, with age, but he likely still has a few guys years in him, under FAR less difficult/ideal circumstances than this year.

You're right IMO, his decline is over rated. Mostly it's follow the leader. Some one gets cranked and the sheep follow. Remember this is the same people who believed Virtanen was great. I'd think it more about politics by management

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You're right IMO, his decline is over rated. Mostly it's follow the leader. Some one gets cranked and the sheep follow. Remember this is the same people who believed Virtanen was great. I'd think it more about politics by management

Um... I have supported Edler many a time on CDC. By my eye test, he was having more difficulty with the speed of the game, and his threat on offense far weaker. 

Granted, his numbers would decline with less ice time, but it was the first time I really wondered if we were better off with new blood. The 6m likely had something to do with it.....

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Um... I have supported Edler many a time on CDC. By my eye test, he was having more difficulty with the speed of the game, and his threat on offense far weaker. 

Granted, his numbers would decline with less ice time, but it was the first time I really wondered if we were better off with new blood. The 6m likely had something to do with it.....

I think you really need to take the context of what happened this season in to account. The compressed schedules (start and end), the poor execution of the majority of the team, the AHL/waiver team he was playing the hardest minutes covering for at the end of the year, and that he reportedly was also one of the harder hit by Covid himself.

Who's going to look good under those conditions? 

17 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah I can see that, however the professional ( Travis Green ) still used him as a go to guy ( look at his TOI ). bit of a quandary what to do. I'm never happy about the way some of our vets were treated, Ohlund, Nasland Salo but  I guess they all new when they started this moment would come. The Sedins handled it the best on their own terms, but then what new about that, the Sedins are generally light years ahead of most  :)

Edited by Fred65

Still hoping he'll sign a veteran deal to stay in Van.  Even if Schenn and Hamonic sign, I'd love to see Edler return.  That would put Rathbone and Juolevi as the extra Ds which would be about right.  We go through so many D players in a season that it's a given those two would still play lots (and perhaps Woo too).  Not sure if Edler would sign for another year on a cheap deal though.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Schenn

Rathbone, Juolevi

Still room for improvement though, so it will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why do I have a feeling that he's signing in Tampa?

its where our Swedes go to pasture. 

I'd be happy for him, it Tampa threepeat's it would be nice to see him get a ring. 

• Like 1

So with all these signings so far today, bringing in Poolman and Hamonic, does this mean the Canucks are moving on from Edler?

I’m hoping he we can reach a cheap deal with him as he is still a great shut down defenceman, but it appears our defence is set. It’ll be sad to see him go without the Canucks fans giving him one last salute. Perhaps he retires and joins his buddies in the head office?

Regardless, thank you Eagle for everything. Arguably the best defenceman to put on the blue and green.

• Cheers 1

If everything we are hearing comes true, we have filled out the Canucks and Abbotsford.  We don't need Edler.  I hope he gets a good contract somewhere.  If he does come back for cheap, I don't know how we find minutes for OJ and Rathbone?

We have added 4 RHD to the organization today to go with Myers, Bowey, and Woo. 

Myers

Hamonic

Poolman

Bowey

Woo

Keeper

Burroughs

LHD

OEL

Hughes

OJ

Rathbone

Brisebois

I could see a couple of LHD being added for Abby, but it is hard to see where Edler fits.

It would be great if he circled back and signed 1 year for around $2.  

A bottom pairing of Edler - Poolman might be pretty good, but then, Juolevi sits some more. 

I think they want to get Juolevi into a more permanent role on the team, it's time for him to leave the nest and be that good NHL player we hoped he would be. My guess is that they've moved on from Edler. I'm expecting a good year from Olli, a more physical, confident Olli. 

Edited by NUCKER67

It's looking pretty bleak at this point, especially if we end up with Schenn at 775/800/1M.
Hughes Hamonic
OEL Myers
Juolevi Poolman
Rathbone Schenn
We'd have to give up on Rathbone or Juolevi if want Edler back