The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Aaah yes the 'argument' of extremes. Either Benning makes a trade this @#$%'ing week damn it to make room or we wait until Higgins retires... :frantic:

Or perhaps we could be reasonable and assume that there'll be injuries, guys will get recalled, and trades will be made from between now until the deadline.

Naah, you're probably right :picard:

The Lions had a coach years ago. His nickname was Cut Him Keys. Okay, it was Eagle Keys, but he cut out a lot of dead wood.

Hutton rushing the puck :towel: ...notice other defenseman are also starting to rush the puck to not be out done by this college boy? We need more offense from the backside so I like it.

Hammer, in the games he has played, has been flying around the ice like it's Junior and he is playing for the Cougars. The Prince George Dan Hamhuis would be deadly.

I still think that Hutton goes down because he can. Once they can make room, he'll be recalled.

In case of injury on the left side, I think he gets slotted in before Corrado.

Willie has been trying out the D on their wrong side in the preseason. I thought that Hutton looked much better on the left than on the right.

• Upvote 2

I still think that Hutton goes down because he can. Once they can make room, he'll be recalled.

In case of injury on the left side, I think he gets slotted in before Corrado.

Willie has been trying out the D on their wrong side in the preseason. I thought that Hutton looked much better on the left than on the right.

Agree with all that, definitely.

From the today's Province (Jason Botchford):

“As well as tonight, he’s been the key in the games I’ve watched and haven’t played,” Henrik said. “When we take over games, it’s when our D starts skating.
“The way he can skate, from standing still to three steps, how fast he is able to get to top speed is amazing.”
Uh, when has Henrik ever called anything amazing?

• Upvote 1

As for Hutton...he's sure making this hard. He's everything this team ha been missing. He's IMO the toughest call on stay/go but I think he'll get sent down as their isn't currently space to utilize him properly.

I dont think the Canucks can afford to keep him down in the AHL...he's obviously got the tools,and he's 22,not 18...He's a gifted player..Should be on the Canucks ASAP (he's obviously going to make mistakes in his rookie year..but better to fast track him at the NHL level, than the AHL).

For all intent and purposes, Hutton is already a man and has been playing against other men for the past few years, thus he has that advantage over someone like Subban.

The only thing Hutton needs to worry about is learning the Canucks system and getting acclimatized to a full schedule and playing every 2nd/3rd night... pretty much being a pro, something he didn't have to do back in college.

I get the feeling that he'll be the first defensive call up from Utica. As for whether Corrado or Hutton deserves playing more, I view them as different role players. First, they play on opposite sides as Frank is RH whereas Ben is LH. Secondly, I think Corrado plays a style similar to Hamhuis or Tanev..... defense first. Hutton reminds me a bit like Ehrhoff, except a bit bigger.

One thing to keep in mind is that both players are the same age, except we think Corrado might be older due to him being in the system longer.

Edited by Lancaster

From the today's Province (Jason Botchford):

“As well as tonight, he’s been the key in the games I’ve watched and haven’t played,” Henrik said. “When we take over games, it’s when our D starts skating.

“The way he can skate, from standing still to three steps, how fast he is able to get to top speed is amazing.”

Uh, when has Henrik ever called anything amazing?

He truly has been an eye-opener. Hutton's stick-handling and awareness has allowed him to avoid fore-checkers and escape his zone. The move's he has pulled off have even exceeded those I've seen from the regular D-men, granted this is pre-season and he hasn't tried that against A-level teams.

Looks like he's staying :towel:

Be interesting to see who sits and where all the lefties end up playing. Despite him being a righty, I'd not be surprised to see Weber sit.

We'll know who's really staying after 20 games.

Having said that, excited to see what Hutton and other young guys bring in real games. The real work is just beginning.

He truly has been an eye-opener. Hutton's stick-handling and awareness has allowed him to avoid fore-checkers and escape his zone. The move's he has pulled off have even exceeded those I've seen from the regular D-men, granted this is pre-season and he hasn't tried that against A-level teams.

Brent Burns is pretty A-level.