The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres 8th for LHD.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1047535

The Buffalo Sabres have set their price for the eighth overall pick in the 2016 draft.

The club currently holds a pick in the top-10 for the fourth straight season, but this time around Murray isn't against dealing it.

"If we can trade a couple picks and improve our team, we’ll continue to do that," general manager Tim Murray told John Vogl of The Buffalo News. "If somebody offers us a top-end, young, left-shot" defenseman "and they demand our eighth overall pick and we feel it makes us better, we’ll do the trade."

According to Murray, the team has a list of three players which he feels the club could take with the pick, which - according to Vogl - contains two defensemen.

Josh Gorges, pending restricted free-agent Jake McCabe, and pending UFACarlo Colaiacovo, are the team's only left-handed shots on the back end.

I don't think Edler exactly embodies the word 'young', but if we can sweeten the deal a little to make it work why not?

13 minutes ago, mmead said:

Even if you stretch the word young to the furthest reaches Edler doesn't fit into that category. 

Would you flip Hutton if it meant the eighth overall?  I wouldnt just curious your opinion. 

I wouldn't, we need find a way to add new youth without taking away from our current pool of young talent.

That's the main reason Jimbo's dealing in picks in so many trades. Acquilini wants a competent team now and yet we need to find a way to start building for the future. We're playing moneyball with our long term outlook, but the direction is the best we can do given the circumstances and expectations.

8 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hutton is a fan favourite. Underrated though. Buffalo Sabres probably don't consider him as a top 4 dman. Probably couldn't fetch a 8th. Yandle and Fowler seem likes an interest or Golgoski.

Hutton hasn't been here long enough to be anything more than a forum favourite, but I still wouldn't trade him for the 8th overall. I know Edler likely wouldn't waive for Buffalo, but if for some reason he did, I'd add something slight to him in order to even out the value and get that pick.

Fowler + the 1st or 2nd the Leafs just coughed up seems like it might be appropriate

Edler plus 25% retention and a 3rd

Klefbom and a 2nd

There's three solid options right now for Buffalo

Fowler and the extra 1st or 2nd the Ducks just got seems the most viable option and if that's the case f**k the Ducks for being such a solid team and having a 10th overall and Ritchie and a possible 8th this year and STILL being a league leader...

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fowler + the 1st or 2nd the Leafs just coughed up seems like it might be appropriate

Edler plus 25% retention and a 3rd

Klefbom and a 2nd

There's three solid options right now for Buffalo

Fowler and the extra 1st or 2nd the Ducks just got seems the most viable option and if that's the case f**k the Ducks for being such a solid team and having a 10th overall and Ritchie and a possible 8th this year and STILL being a league leader...

That's what you get when you not only draft well but give your young players a chance to play with good veteran players.

Anaheim is now in a constant position to flip players for more picks while staying competitive.

;)

But seriously, it sounds like they're looking for an even higher ceiling D for 8th. Like a future 1-2 guy. I LOVE Gudbranson but his ceiling is likely a #2-3 guy. That's going to cost more than 8th IMO, otherwise I'd gladly trade the 5th for one :lol:

Archived