The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I wouldn't necesarilly be againt Juolevi going to Europe, but Dale Hunter, and the London Knights have shown that they can pick and develop proffesional NHL players better than almost any team out there. I honestly can't think of an organization with a better pedigree. They have to be close to number 1, if not number 1 straight up.

Vancouver or London for me. and with our beefed up roster on the backend, I think it's London for him, almost for sure. It will also give him a year to beef up. Olli Maata is one of his best friends and mentors, and as a high IQ Finnish dman, who went through London's system and is now an NHL champion. He is giving Juolevi advice on every step on how to be a two-way beast in the NHL. What to expect, what to do, and how to succeed. I have 100 percent confidence Juolevi will be a stud. He's going to be packing on muscle and hitting the gym like you can't believe while working on fine tuning his game and being the number 1 dman every game. Get used to it kid... You're going to make a career out of it...

Edited by TheLiveWire
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Crackers said:

Skating is a strong suit of Juolevi. It's strength and shot that he should work on the most for next season. 

i think it's his positioning on the ice that is really his strong suit. his backchecking speed isn't the greatest in this years draft for d-men or even forwards. i dont see Joulevi playing for the canucks next year. give him a year or 2 for his speed to play against guys in the nhl.

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I would say in the case of Juolevi Europe might be a better choice. He can go there and play against men. It's a massive difference to play against men vs kids. He'll learn techniques on how to handle a man's strenght vs a teeager's. He'll learn how to battle in corners vs men and to skate vs men. He's done all he could in juniors, let him go to Europe and take the next step. 

This will help him prepare better to play against men in the AHL or NHL the following year, I'd start off in Utica and bring him up if he excels in the AHL. Truly a gem of a player. Hope he's not rushed. 

Totally agree about not wanting this kid rushed. Not knowing what options exist in Europe I prefer he stays in a Canadian hockey environment. That means the OHL and Hunter coaching. Since Benning was a young d-man in the NHL he will have a better idea of where Joulevi is than most. If he shows well in the pre-season I would also have no problem in his exposure to NHL games with 9 games. The point of that is rein-enforcing what he has to work on in London.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I agree, with what JB is looking for in a trade, Tachuk, Gauthier, and Brown were available. Not to mention a few big D men that will be forces to be reconed with for years to come (Chychurin, Hauf, among others) to be honest i have never herd of our first rounder. I guess it is possible that he is one of those "diamonds in the rough", man i hope so. We will see come training camp and preseason. 

He won a Memorial cup along with a world Junior and was a huge piece on both teams. The kid is a winner. I would hardly classify him as a "diamond in the rough". You can see what your getting from him when you watch him play. No smoke and mirrors trust me. He's exactly the player we need going forward, and finally a we have a blue chip D-prospect. 

• Upvote 3

I think he needs to be back down in junior with the London Knights. He still has a lot to prove down there. Yes, he has won World Junior Gold, OHL Championship, and the Memorial Cup, but he still meeds to prove that he can handle a mkre focused role and drive and create offense from the back end. As well, this past season fellow draftee Mikhail Sergachev was the OHL Defenseman of the Year. If Juolevi does consider himself better than Sergachev and Chychrun, he will for sure be trying to prove it.

The kid will be a gem for sure, and having him in North America and the London organization for another year will help him moreso than being in Europe. The physicality, fast-paced game, and limited decision making times will help him more than playing in a low-physicality, open-ice league against men. I think anyways. Well I mean, that's why we have questions about Euro-league players right? If they can adapt to the size and speed and physicality of the North American game.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I agree, with what JB is looking for in a trade, Tachuk, Gauthier, and Brown were available. Not to mention a few big D men that will be forces to be reconed with for years to come (Chychurin, Hauf, among others) to be honest i have never herd of our first rounder. I guess it is possible that he is one of those "diamonds in the rough", man i hope so. We will see come training camp and preseason. 

He's not a diamond in the rough because everyone knows that he'll be a stud in this league. Can't believe you've never heard of him lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, asian player said:

I was thinking OJ could top out (physically) as someone like Hamhuis, not very physical but won't be small enough to take abuse like a Tanev would so I checked out how heavy hammer is and wow that guy is surprisingly thick. He's close to 210

He also went on to say that he doesn't want to gain too much weight as it'll affect his skating speed.

Juolevi is 6'3 179 lbs. I think he'll top off 6'3 200lbs. For an offensive defenseman, that's pretty good.

I doubt Hammer is 210 as of right now though, he lost a ton of weight when he got injured. 

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He also went on to say that he doesn't want to gain too much weight as it'll affect his skating speed.

Juolevi is 6'3 179 lbs. I think he'll top off 6'3 200lbs. For an offensive defenseman, that's pretty good.

I doubt Hammer is 210 as of right now though, he lost a ton of weight when he got injured. 

I always assumed hammer was 198-200~ even in his peak

Yea I think Juolevi's height will allow him to skate comfortably with 200 lbs which is quite solid. 

27 minutes ago, asian player said:

I always assumed hammer was 198-200~ even in his peak

Yea I think Juolevi's height will allow him to skate comfortably with 200 lbs which is quite solid. 

I thought Hamhuis was much much lighter. Like 184-188 zone

4 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Being with the London Knights is like training with an NHL team 

Well said. If there is one place you don't need to worry about a prospects development, it's with the London Knights. If there is 1 system I have absolute confidence in, and one head coach I have 100 percent confidence in, it's Dale Hunter, and the London Knights. Everyone can rest easy with Juolevi's development. London knows how to produce big time players. When Juolevi is ready, he will be a stud. Just give him a year or so.

I think we should send him to the London Knights, to play a more significant role. His time on ice climbed as he became acclimated to the smaller ice surfaces. Then he played a lot of minutes during the Memorial Cup and OHL playoffs. It's likely he would be the go-to-guy on a game-to-game basis. 

On 7/22/2016 at 4:12 PM, Alflives said:

Juiolevvi is a fabulous skater.  The comment was directed toward a poster who mentioned if Tkatchuk was heading back to London.  Tkatchuk is known to be a poor skater.

On 7/22/2016 at 4:37 PM, Crackers said:

Whoops my bad! I should perhaps learn to read one of these days. :lol:

Clearly needed an Oxford comma in there somewhere :P

On 7/22/2016 at 5:16 PM, bleedblue2017 said:

to be honest i have never herd of our first rounder. I guess it is possible that he is one of those "diamonds in the rough", man i hope so. 

:blink:

• Upvote 3

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Camel Toe Drag said:

He won a Memorial cup along with a world Junior and was a huge piece on both teams. The kid is a winner. I would hardly classify him as a "diamond in the rough". You can see what your getting from him when you watch him play. No smoke and mirrors trust me. He's exactly the player we need going forward, and finally a we have a blue chip D-prospect. 

I really hope so, by all accounts (including yours) Oli sounds like the real deal, all the guys I mentioned are to and they have size, Oli is 6'2" but only 183lbs vs. Gauthier 6'3" 220lbs on RW he definitely is what we need to. Or Chychurin at 6'3" 210lbs on D. Having said that I am excited to see what Oli can do, especialy if he is everything he is being hyped up to be.

7 minutes ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I really hope so, by all accounts (including yours) Oli sounds like the real deal, all the guys I mentioned are to and they have size, Oli is 6'2" but only 183lbs vs. Gauthier 6'3" 220lbs on RW he definitely is what we need to. Or Chychurin at 6'3" 210lbs on D. Having said that I am excited to see what Oli can do, especialy if he is everything he is being hyped up to be.

Juolevi is actually 6'3". Should top out at about 200lbs when he fills out.

Size is definitely not an issue for him, even though that is not part of his game. His smarts and skating will allow him to move the puck before guys are even on him.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juolevi is actually 6'3". Should top out at about 200lbs when he fills out.

Size is definitely not an issue for him, even though that is not part of his game. His smarts and skating will allow him to move the puck before guys are even on him.

I have looked at 3 different scouting reports on Oli, they all have different hights and weights, lol. So I just took a ballpark average, those reports do confirm your claim about smarts, skating, and puck movement. Like i said I can't wait to see him in action in camp, and who knows maybe preseason, i really hope that he is every bit as good as you say, we really need that on the blue line:)

Everyone's saying "don't rush him", but Olli truly believes he's going to make the team and be in the lineup next year. He seems very determined. If he's great at camp and turns heads, why not? Or at least let him play in Utica (against men) and get some games in as a call up.  The only thing I would be concerned about is his strength and weight at this time, but maybe he's on the Virtanen diet and is turning into a beast. Really looking forward to seeing Juolevi in a Canucks unie.

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Everyone's saying "don't rush him", but Olli truly believes he's going to make the team and be in the lineup next year. He seems very determined. If he's great at camp and turns heads, why not? Or at least let him play in Utica (against men) and get some games in as a call up.  The only thing I would be concerned about is his strength and weight at this time, but maybe he's on the Virtanen diet and is turning into a beast. Really looking forward to seeing Juolevi in a Canucks unie.

He can't go to Utica. He either makes the Canucks (and given his 9 games), or he's going back to London. I wouldn't mind him going back to London for another year, before making the jump to the Canucks :)