The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thanks for the info....giving them a whiff of the Pro's before they can actually go there I guess,  still seems not right to me.

The rule sucks. I think it holds players development back in the long run.  However I'm all for exploiting the rule any way we can. Hopefully Juolevi does join them if eliminated.

Good he can help Utica if possible for the playoffs. Bad the CHL will hold him hostage next season. 

Top players should move on like everywhere else they get exempted. A waste of Joulevi's year of development but sells tickets for the CHL.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Good he can help Utica if possible for the playoffs. Bad the CHL will hold him hostage next season. 

Top players should move on like everywhere else they get exempted. A waste of Joulevi's year of development but sells tickets for the CHL.

Well at least he's on London. A NHL producing CHL organization.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Well at least he's on London. A NHL producing CHL organization.

The CHL should let players move on if its better for their development. They can compete against pro's and men- quicker game speed- and learn from more experienced coaches. Plus there are usually NHL ready players on the roster. Plus they might get the occasional call up. 

7 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Been reading this forum for years now and as I am from Finland I decided to share my opinion of Juolevi since I follow our players closely.

Ive read here that Finland was supposed to "defend the championship" at u20 and were big flop. Thats really not the case. The team had lost all the core players of gold team and was among the youngest on the tournament  and consisted mainly of 17 year olds. Nobody here expected them to do much more than qualify from the group stage and that they didnt even achieve because of horrible coaching and how they built the team and how unexperienced it was.

People bash Juolevi of his play in WJC but the team was built in stupid way that there were too many pure offensive d-men and not stay at home guys. So the coach decided to play those od in offensive roles and Juolevi earned more of a shutdown role as he was the only guy to be trusted heavy defensive duties in every situation. And thats why he was the captain not because of his character he was just million years more experienced and better than other guys.
Their forwards were thrash. Altough former 1st rounder Borgström and this years prospect Tolvanen are making some noise in NCAA and USHL they werent really game changers. At least not at the time.

Now to the point. Every game Juolevi was steadiest d-man of the team and his passing and decision making were just one level above everybody else on the team and thats where the problem was. His passing was top class but their forwards usually just simply didnt have the skill level to catch them on center ice or make the right plays which made the whole team look bad. He didnt seem to have problems coping with other teams top players on the d-zone either. His shot selections made clear he was playing hockey in NA and rest of the team in Europe. He was looking to get rebounds and directions in front of the goal but there never really was anybody so even the Finnish announcers thought it was just a bad shot. And afterall that was just a short tournament where unexperienced and nameless team didnt do much.

I think Juolevi has much similarities with Sami Salo. After Salos playing days I havent really seen Finnish d-man who is so poised with the puck on the own end and always seems to make that easy and obvious play which is the hardest thing to do. Not physical but makes up to it with good hockey IQ and positioning. His shot is underrated and I think he has bit more offensive creativity than Salo. That makes him in my opinion potential #2 d-man on a good team. Absolutely not a game changer in offensive zone like Karlsson but really reliable all around d-man. I see prime-Edler(not the current one) with more agility and way better decision making. I was in the Tkachuck train at the draft and thought he was the obvious choise after Dubois wasnt there but I understanded the decision shortly after since Benning thought Juolevi were best d-man available and thats where our needs were. And we already picked grit with high pick in Virtanen.

Thank you for the insight and a very reasonable post.

I agree that if the forwards don't know what to do with the puck when they have it, then what can a defenceman do? I hope JB gets us some capable forwards that know what to do with the puck. 

And comparison to Salo is really interesting. Never considered Salo as a Juolevi comparison but if you are right, then that's basically a top 2D. Salo, when healthy was a top 2D: a puck mover that is solid defensively with a booming shot. As you said, Salo was always quick to assess his options and always made the right and obvious decision. And from what I have seen, Juolevi does exactly that. Not your Duncan Keith or Erik Karlsson but a top 2D nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Been reading this forum for years now and as I am from Finland I decided to share my opinion of Juolevi since I follow our players closely.

Ive read here that Finland was supposed to "defend the championship" at u20 and were big flop. Thats really not the case. The team had lost all the core players of gold team and was among the youngest on the tournament  and consisted mainly of 17 year olds. Nobody here expected them to do much more than qualify from the group stage and that they didnt even achieve because of horrible coaching and how they built the team and how unexperienced it was.

People bash Juolevi of his play in WJC but the team was built in stupid way that there were too many pure offensive d-men and not stay at home guys. So the coach decided to play those od in offensive roles and Juolevi earned more of a shutdown role as he was the only guy to be trusted heavy defensive duties in every situation. And thats why he was the captain not because of his character he was just million years more experienced and better than other guys.
Their forwards were thrash. Altough former 1st rounder Borgström and this years prospect Tolvanen are making some noise in NCAA and USHL they werent really game changers. At least not at the time.

Now to the point. Every game Juolevi was steadiest d-man of the team and his passing and decision making were just one level above everybody else on the team and thats where the problem was. His passing was top class but their forwards usually just simply didnt have the skill level to catch them on center ice or make the right plays which made the whole team look bad. He didnt seem to have problems coping with other teams top players on the d-zone either. His shot selections made clear he was playing hockey in NA and rest of the team in Europe. He was looking to get rebounds and directions in front of the goal but there never really was anybody so even the Finnish announcers thought it was just a bad shot. And afterall that was just a short tournament where unexperienced and nameless team didnt do much.

I think Juolevi has much similarities with Sami Salo. After Salos playing days I havent really seen Finnish d-man who is so poised with the puck on the own end and always seems to make that easy and obvious play which is the hardest thing to do. Not physical but makes up to it with good hockey IQ and positioning. His shot is underrated and I think he has bit more offensive creativity than Salo. That makes him in my opinion potential #2 d-man on a good team. Absolutely not a game changer in offensive zone like Karlsson but really reliable all around d-man. I see prime-Edler(not the current one) with more agility and way better decision making. I was in the Tkachuck train at the draft and thought he was the obvious choise after Dubois wasnt there but I understanded the decision shortly after since Benning thought Juolevi were best d-man available and thats where our needs were. And we already picked grit with high pick in Virtanen.

So you would have preferred JB took Tkatchuk over your countryman?  

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

1st rounders should be exempt from that rule.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, khay said:

Thank you for the insight and a very reasonable post.

I agree that if the forwards don't know what to do with the puck when they have it, then what can a defenceman do? I hope JB gets us some capable forwards that know what to do with the puck. 

And comparison to Salo is really interesting. Never considered Salo as a Juolevi comparison but if you are right, then that's basically a top 2D. Salo, when healthy was a top 2D: a puck mover that is solid defensively with a booming shot. As you said, Salo was always quick to assess his options and always made the right and obvious decision. And from what I have seen, Juolevi does exactly that. Not your Duncan Keith or Erik Karlsson but a top 2D nonetheless. 

Exactly. At forward position even if your team is crap and loses you can still score the occasional point with individual effort (see Tolvanen 6gp 2+4=6) to make your stat line better but as a d-man not so much unless youre Karlsson.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

So you would have preferred JB took Tkatchuk over your countryman?  

Yeah I thought from Bennings interviews that he was really high on Dubois especially after he switched to C and I thought he would be there where we picked. So I had us picking Dubois then if he werent there would be no brainer to take Tkachuck since he was BPA. After them I would have been happy with Logan Brown or Max Jones cause somehow I thought they looked like Bennings players. Juolevi was surprise but like I said thats where our needs were. 

But thats just me id rather watch fringe playoff team of Max Jones's and Tom Wilsons than stanley cup champions of Kadris and Radulovs.

13 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Exactly. At forward position even if your team is crap and loses you can still score the occasional point with individual effort (see Tolvanen 6gp 2+4=6) to make your stat line better but as a d-man not so much unless youre Karlsson.

Yeah I thought from Bennings interviews that he was really high on Dubois especially after he switched to C and I thought he would be there where we picked. So I had us picking Dubois then if he werent there would be no brainer to take Tkachuck since he was BPA. After them I would have been happy with Logan Brown or Max Jones cause somehow I thought they looked like Bennings players. Juolevi was surprise but like I said thats where our needs were. 

But thats just me id rather watch fringe playoff team of Max Jones's and Tom Wilsons than stanley cup champions of Kadris and Radulovs.

I don't doubt Tkachuk will be a good player, but I'm really glad we haven't gone the "Edmonton route". I think picking Tkachuk over Juolevi would be similar to Edmonton picking Yakupov over Murray. I really think that if Edmonton had picked Murray they would have been a better team sooner as they would have had a better defense sooner. (on the other hand, they might not have had McDavid as a result lol). Obviously this is pure speculation and we will never have any way of knowing if this would be the case but that's kind of my analogy on the whole thing with Juolevi and Tkachuk.

I think both players will be good in the end. Right now we have a lot of good forward prospects. We don't really need Tkachuk in my opinion and it was a decision I've supported even at the draft (and facepalming a bit at all of the people going "booooooo" lol).

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

do the Knights suit up tonight?

Scroll up like 2 swipes :lol:

On 2017-03-31 at 6:57 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Juolevi and the Knights are still alive after a 2-1 win in Game 5, cutting the series lead to 3-2. Game 6 goes on Sunday at 11:00am PST.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:57 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Juolevi and the Knights are still alive after a 2-1 win in Game 5, cutting the series lead to 3-2. Game 6 goes on Sunday at 11:00am PST.

I'm very conflicted over this series.  I want OJ to have a great playoff and long run to get as much experience as he can.  OTOH, I despise the Knights organization and would quite enjoy them being eliminated in the 1st round to one of their rivals. 

Best case scenario as far as I can tell, Knights eliminated today and OJ signs a PTO with Utica - they make the post-season so OJ can get pro-experience in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I'm very conflicted over this series.  I want OJ to have a great playoff and long run to get as much experience as he can.  OTOH, I despise the Knights organization and would quite enjoy them being eliminated in the 1st round to one of their rivals. 

Best case scenario as far as I can tell, Knights eliminated today and OJ signs a PTO with Utica - they make the post-season so OJ can get pro-experience in the playoffs. 

Question is whether Green put juolevi in the lineup or not

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

73% sure green gives him the cold shoulder. 

If Utica actually made the playoffs they'd likely be facing a top seed and a quick exit.  Under those circumstances, I could easily see JB essentially directing Green to give OJ some ice time.  Not saying this will happen, but I could easily see that going on behind the scenes. 

• Upvote 1