The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

26 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Puljujarvi, the guy we were all praying for, got sent down.  Dubois may still.  Defense is much more difficult position to come into the league at 19. Just ask Thomas Chabot who is a year older and got sent down today. I'm sure he and the Ottawa fans are disappointed but he is by no means a bust.  

We will be cheering for OJ for years to come we just don't know exactly when it will start.

76576d99381f7dc7388ac42d5bd2e161251f1dd2

On 9/29/2017 at 7:53 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

OJ reminded me of Lumme, still does, a good but not great defenseman.  

Lumme was a second round pick which is where OJ should have been.

Ergo: OJ is a great second round pick we have to wait for. He'll be good in 2-3 years. 

Lumme was a 3rd round pick, not a 2nd. Also, I don't think you're taking into consideration the initial expectations people had on these players. I'm pretty sure that 3rd round Lumme was not given the same expectations a 1st round Juolevi has been given. Given the history of 3rd round picks, it actually would have been more likely that Lumme would not have even made the NHL. Fortunately for us, he did.

The draft's a game of chance to begin with. Each player is scouted by multiple scouts and had their eyes on them by who knows how many people. So to say a 6th overall pick (who was around that area in the scouting reports and not even really considered "out of the blue" by drafting standards) should have been taken in the 2nd round despite all of the countless reports?..... yeah, I don't think so....

Edited by The Lock

On 29/09/2017 at 7:53 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Ergo: OJ is a great second round pick we have to wait for. He'll be good in 2-3 years. 

That's a fantastic projection! 

Lumme is #64 in the top 100 all-time point leaders for dmen.  The only player in Canuck history with more points is Dave Babych. 

With his low number of games played (compared to the others on the list) he comes out very similar to Brian Campbell, but was far better defensively. 

http://statshockey.homestead.com/alltimedefenseman.html

If Joulevi turns out to be as good as Lumme, I will be overjoyed. 

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 3

On 29/09/2017 at 7:53 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

hahahahaha

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Lumme is #64 in the top 100 all-time point leaders for dmen.  The only player in Canuck history with more points is Dave Babych. 

With his low number of games played (compared to the others on the list) he comes out very similar to Brian Campbell, but was far better defensively. 

Yeah he looked so calm back there, my favorite was when Lumme used to cruise in from the blue line and zig zag through players right to the crease. He should have done that more. But yeah no rush to get a good hopefully great Dman. I ran into Lumme on the Drive with those glasses he looked more like an accountant than a defenseman.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

11 minutes ago, skategal said:

Matthew Sekeres Retweeted

Ryan Pyette‏Verified account @RyanatLFPress  5m5 minutes ago

More

Just talked to a NHL person very close to Olli Juolevi. He's going to end up in Finland with Sami Salo, not London. Big blow to Knights.

Best route for him IMO. London was going to possibly be a weaker team this year anyway. Without OJ, they're in for an even tougher go.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Matthew Sekeres Retweeted

Ryan Pyette‏Verified account @RyanatLFPress  5m5 minutes ago

More

Just talked to a NHL person very close to Olli Juolevi. He's going to end up in Finland with Sami Salo, not London. Big blow to Knights.

If Hunter cares about his players and their development (which I think he does), I don't think he would stand in the way of what's best for a player.

Going to Finland provides Juolevi the challenge and the mentorship that he needs right now. 

Juolevi needs to play against men.  I wish it were the AHL or SHL but the Finnish League will be better for him than the OHL, IMHO.  I think the homecooking and language will probably be a welcome relief for him as well.  Relax and focus on preparing for a long term job in the NHL, not on what fickle Canuck fans are thinking about your moment by moment stats in London.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Not to be nitpicky just noticed that list was from January 2016, Lumme is now #68 all-time with 468 points, and likely to be passed by Phaneuf (462 points) and Karlsson (456 points). Still your point stands if Juolevi gets to his level I'd be more than happy

• Upvote 1

It'd be very good for Juolevi to learn from Salo. Definitely one of the best if not the best defenseman the Canucks have ever had. Extremely good in his own zone and solid in the offensive end as well. Really liked the mic'd up stuff from Salo during the prospects camp at the beginning of summer. Hope Juolevi would be able to absorb his teaching, if he goes to Finland.

15 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

It'd be very good for Juolevi to learn from Salo. 

As long as they don't go golfing where there are snakes or climb any ladders or try anything that involves gravity - just that Salo was a great NHL player but he seemed like when it came to injury luck, he simply does not embody the type of mentor-ship how to avoid injury you want to see.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As long as they don't go golfing where there are snakes or climb any ladders or try anything that involves gravity - just that Salo was a great NHL player but he seemed like when it came to injury luck, he simply does not embody the type of mentor-ship how to avoid injury you want to see.

I'm just happy there's an ocean between Salo and Rodin. Those two represent a nexus of bad luck that would rival a black cat spilling salt on a broken mirror under a ladder.