The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ouch, BOS has a terrible GM

They've had some luck too.  There's a 4th round pick by the name of Danton Heinen (who, right?) who's put up 0.77 points per game so far (24 in 31), and they've done well with the likes of Brandon Carlo (2nd round pick yielding a shutdown D-man), Frank Vatrano (last season he put up 0.4 points per game as a FA signing), Torey Krug (projected 50 point scorer this season as a FA signing), Anders Bjork (again, who?  5th round guy on pace for 30 points) and even the mentioned Jake DeBrusk (0.45 points/ game so far).  They did also find gold in Charlie McAvoy (14th overall), Pastrnak (mid 1st rounder), Marchand (3rd round pick) and Rask (stole him from Toronto way back when).

Hope Olli can be our found gold, maybe as a Jake Muzzin or Alex Edler (big minute, safe, can hit, mobile).

9 hours ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

I know not every gm makes the perfect pick, but when looking at some of the names selected after him you have to wonder what JB was thinking!? 

He was thinking he would pick the top ranked Dman available who he hoped would find a development path to the NHL that would end up with him being a reliable top pairing guy.   So far, it appears that he had a sound thought process as all indications are OJ is right on that path and will indeed come to the NHL in the next season or two and has all the tools to develop into a very high end Dman for a long, long time.   

So, it appears it was pretty obvious what he was thinking.    Sort of an odd question for someone who says they are the offspring of a goalie.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

They've had some luck too.  There's a 4th round pick by the name of Danton Heinen (who, right?) who's put up 0.77 points per game so far (24 in 31), and they've done well with the likes of Brandon Carlo (2nd round pick yielding a shutdown D-man), Frank Vatrano (last season he put up 0.4 points per game as a FA signing), Torey Krug (projected 50 point scorer this season as a FA signing), Anders Bjork (again, who?  5th round guy on pace for 30 points) and even the mentioned Jake DeBrusk (0.45 points/ game so far).  They did also find gold in Charlie McAvoy (14th overall), Pastrnak (mid 1st rounder), Marchand (3rd round pick) and Rask (stole him from Toronto way back when).

Hope Olli can be our found gold, maybe as a Jake Muzzin or Alex Edler (big minute, safe, can hit, mobile).

I see him topping out like a Hampus LIndholm level dman.  Elite defender, but stats is around 25 point dman.   I take a guy like that over a  Matthew Tkachuk any day.

He was thinking he would pick the top ranked Dman available who he hoped would find a development path to the NHL that would end up with him being a reliable top pairing guy.   So far, it appears that he had a sound thought process as all indications are OJ is right on that path and will indeed come to the NHL in the next season or two and has all the tools to develop into a very high end Dman for a long, long time.   

So, it appears it was pretty obvious what he was thinking.    Sort of an odd question for someone who says they are the offspring of a goalie.

lemme add, based on his expertise, he feels Juolevi has the best potential. 

Tkachuk top 6 winger (I don't see him being a top line winger)

Juolevi top 3 defender.

top 3 defender>>>>>>>>>>>>>2nd line winger. 

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I see him topping out like a Hampus LIndholm level dman.  Elite defender, but stats is around 25 point dman.   I take a guy like that over a  Matthew Tkachuk any day.

im the opposite , i prefer a Mathew tkachuk type of guy, who can mix it up in front of the goal, and makes hits and score ....those are very rare these days, since NHL is going the little girly way, than the way hockey should be back in the day ...miss those days :( but im glad i got to experience it, and was awesome live :) fights, brawls and big hits ...losing teeth was the norm , now if u make a it, good chance u may get a penalty lol .....

Willie plett, joey kocur , dave brown , gino odjick , rick tocchet , chris nilan , dave schultz etc etc etc .........those were the days :P 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

From what I can see, I feel your point predictions seem accurate.  He looks solid on both ends of the ice, but despite his smarts I just don't see him putting up elite numbers most of us were hoping for.

Is that worth more than a Tkachuk?  Maybe, but we are assuming Juolevis ceiling whereas I think the ceiling of Tkachuk is also still unknown.

In any case, I think Juolevi will be good enough to be a strong second pairing or complimentary first pairing guy... Though I still feel we need that true #1 star defenseman that I believe doesn't exist in our syatem 

38 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

im the opposite , i prefer a Mathew tkachuk type of guy, who can mix it up in front of the goal, and makes hits and score ....those are very rare these days, since NHL is going the little girly way, than the way hockey should be back in the day ...miss those days :( but im glad i got to experience it, and was awesome live :) fights, brawls and big hits ...losing teeth was the norm , now if u make a it, good chance u may get a penalty lol .....

Willie plett, joey kocur , dave brown , gino odjick , rick tocchet , chris nilan , dave schultz etc etc etc .........those were the days :P 

scrappy pesky 2nd line wingers you mean? not rare at all.  I can easily get you a list, not to mention we have Gadjovich and LInd to be our mix it up type of guys to an extent of Jake Virtanen if he can improve his offensive game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

lemme add, based on his expertise, he feels Juolevi has the best potential. 

Tkachuk top 6 winger (I don't see him being a top line winger)

Juolevi top 3 defender.

top 3 defender>>>>>>>>>>>>>2nd line winger. 

Just to be clear, Tkachuk is someone whom I’m glad we didn’t take!!  And yes I agree, a top 3, even top 4 defender is more valuable than a 2nd line winger. No argument there! 

Edited by kirk mcleans baby
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Tkachuk is nothing like those other guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Why do I got a feeling Pouliot is going to be Juolevi's D man on his opposite side lol.  They would be leathal together but I would love for us to get a nice righty.  I use a right handed stick so having a right handed sniper just sounds super appealing to me visually lol.  plus it flows better with rights with lefties etc.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Those other guys played the game with respect and honour.    MT does not do that.   

LOL. Those guys ALL had there moments especially when they were  young not to mention different era different policing. The entire league knows who MT is and when he’s on the ice for whatever reason  good or bad. I have my doubts that Ollie will ever be known league wide for any reason other than who was taken after him.

Respect and honour ok let’s draft a guy that plays with respect and honour so he can get pushed around and be yet another Vancouver buttercup.

but atleast he plays with honour.

I’m sure MT among the many other will enjoy running the goaltenders and spearing boeser while we play with “honour and respect” turn the other cheek sh,t hockey that those guys mentioned would be embarrassed by.

Three of the four picks taken directly after him not ten picks away that a bunch of team over looked  are haveing an impact NOW in the NHL while he’s not even having an impact in the  Wjc again.

but he’s got respect and we know this because ...... so it’s ok. 

It’s spilt milk we got Ollie hopefully he turns into an NHLER someday it doesn’t change the fact I didn’t like the pick then I don’t like it now, better players were available sad some just can’t adimit it.ohwell.

Better get the heard together to brow beat anyone who thinks different and dare post it.

I do find  it funny that anyone who critizes Ollie for any reason gets minuses but sing praise for him brushing his teeth or walking and you’ll get pluses.lol

As far as the topic 

Ollie’s got a nice first pass that’s about the extent of what I’ve seen him do well consistently.

• Upvote 1

I certainly haven't given up hope for OJ yet. I haven't had a chance to watch him much, but from what I've seen he's looked solid. Not special or spectacular in any way, but solid. If he can turn into a 2nd pairing d-man I'll be ok with the pick. The Canucks have plenty of forward prospects and definitely need help on defense.

That being said, to all those defending OJ saying he'll be better than Tkachuk, sorry, I'm not buying it. Anyone who can come into the NHL at 18 and do what he did is a pretty special. Looks like he could be on his way to a 20 goal season this year and he just turned 20. Don't like Tkachuk? Fine. Keller and Sergechev are looking stellar this year too.

The draft is a crapshoot. I don't blame Benning for the pick. He clearly saw something in OJ that he liked and I'm fine with him going off the board a bit if he feels like it's the right call.

But if you can honestly say right now that if given the chance to go back to that draft you would take OJ again, I'm sorry, give your head a shake. There were clearly better options available. Benning obviously can't come out and say it but I'm sure even he wouldn't make that pick again.

It's ok to admit the Canucks made a mistake guys. It doesn't make you any less of a fan.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck said:

I certainly haven't given up hope for OJ yet. I haven't had a chance to watch him much, but from what I've seen he's looked solid. Not special or spectacular in any way, but solid. If he can turn into a 2nd pairing d-man I'll be ok with the pick. The Canucks have plenty of forward prospects and definitely need help on defense.

That being said, to all those defending OJ saying he'll be better than Tkachuk, sorry, I'm not buying it. Anyone who can come into the NHL at 18 and do what he did is a pretty special. Looks like he could be on his way to a 20 goal season this year and he just turned 20. Don't like Tkachuk? Fine. Keller and Sergechev are looking stellar this year too.

The draft is a crapshoot. I don't blame Benning for the pick. He clearly saw something in OJ that he liked and I'm fine with him going off the board a bit if he feels like it's the right call.

But if you can honestly say right now that if given the chance to go back to that draft you would take OJ again, I'm sorry, give your head a shake. There were clearly better options available. Benning obviously can't come out and say it but I'm sure even he wouldn't make that pick again.

It's ok to admit the Canucks made a mistake guys. It doesn't make you any less of a fan.

In retrospect, I probably wouldn't take OJ again, but I sure as frick wouldn't take Tkachuk either.  The discussion is rather pointless though.  Who knew Keller, Sergachev or MacAvoy would have such a great rookie year?  As you said...the draft is a crap shoot.  It's what it is.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck said:

Well put, but I would just add that Juolevi was in everyone’s top 8 so Benning didn’t really go off the board.